cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building dream PC, need help from experts

Seeking_Knowled
Level 7
Hi there,

I've finally decided to build my dream PC. However, this is my first time trying to build a computer from the scratch and I'm going to need your help guys. So, please be patient and help me through these HARD choices.

The PC is mentioned for Gaming, video editing and multitask work on two monitors

I'll start from the case (I don't have an idea about computer cases, sizes and features, but what I need is a case that have a plastic window to look inside and good airflow) I've found that Corsair Obsidian Series Black 800D Full Tower Computer Case (CC800DW) - 244$ good one and have good space inside.

1. Motherboard:
I've very difficult choice to make regarding Motherboard, there are too many out there and I don't really know what is suitable for me. However I've managed to drop the list to these motherboards:
ASUS Maximus V FORMULA/THUNDERFX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard - 359$

Maximus IV Extreme

Rampage IV Formula

Sabertooth

2. Processor:
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K - 324$

3. Video card
Regarding video card reviews and benchmarks I've found that these two cards are the best in the market right now Ofcourse GTX 690 not included due it's high price:

a)Gigabyte or SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 WF 3X GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 DVI-I/HDMI/2x mini-DP Crossfire Ready Graphics Card GV-R797TO-3GD << my current choice

b)EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

4. RAM:
I don't have much knowledge about RAM types and brands.

Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 MHz (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory (CMD8GX3M2A2133C9)

Power supply:
Corsair Professional Series AX 1200 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX1200) - 264$

HDD:
I'm going to purchase later Solid state drive, but for now I'm going to order Normal sata III drive.

WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA III, 32 MB Cache - WD10EALX

FANS & AIRFLOW:
I don't have any idea about fans and airflow strategy (like: how many fans I'm going to need where to put these fans .. etc)

BTW, I don't have any budget in mind right now. However, whole pc should not exceed 2000$.

ELSE: is there anything else I'm going to need, consider?

what is your suggestions, ideas?

Your help is appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

TenBlade
Level 11
Make sure it´s 3770K, not just 3770, or you´ll be struggling to overclock...
I´d avoid Sanforce Controlled SSDs, they may have issues. Samsung (830 or 840 PRO) comes widely recommended, they got their own controller, less issues. But, if I were to go with a Sanforce controlled SSD, the Intel 520 would be it, was my original choise... And with a new SSD on the fast SATA you can skip the RAID setup, you could measure a difference, yes, but I think you´ll be plenty satisfied with just one fast SSD.

How big is that cooler, will any high profile RAM fit under it in the first slot? I admit I don´t know that particular cooler...

Seeking_Knowled
Level 7
Thank you guys,

Regarding the CPU that you've mentioned, I've changed mine from 3770K to 3770 to save some money and I'm not going to overclock it. Also, many people said that there is no much difference between these two CPU's. Do you think 3770K worth it? or I'll be fine with 3770

Regarding the CPU cooler and G.skill ram, I was wondering about ram height too. However, I couldn't find any answer regarding this issue yet.
My cpu cooler will be :
ZALMAN CNPS9900MAXBLUE - 135 mm

Any answer regarding this will be appreciated.

Best regards,

TenBlade
Level 11
Oh yes, and you´ve got the mainboard of your dreams, it´s easy to overclock on it. You could just as well save money getting any other non-ROG mainboard that´ll hold a 3770 if you´re not going to overclock. And you´ll want your editing to not take ages...(and you´ll want enough RAM)

Zka17
Level 16
As I remember, that Zalman cooler won't interfere with the RAM... - but it may with the graphics card in the first PCIe slot...

I agree with TenBlade on the mobo idea... if you're not OC'ing, then perhaps a non-ROG mobo would be better choice for you... - have you checked the Sabertooth series ones?

Regarding the CPU, if the 3770k is too expensive for you, then rather go with the 3570k (specially if you stick to the ROG mobos)... it's less expensive than even the 3770, but OCs almost the same as the 3770k...

Seeking_Knowled
Level 7
Maybe I'm going to OC in the future. However, there is no much difference in the price between sabertooth and MVF.

I've replaced 3770 Processor with 3770K. However, regarding the SSD I found that SAMSUNG 840 is cheaper than intel SSD.

Do you have any reviews that compare these two SSD's?

1. SAMSUNG SSD 840 Series Basic 2,5" - 120 Gb (MZ-7TD120BW) - 95e
2. INTEL SSD Cherryville 520 Series - 120 Gb - 129e

Zka17
Level 16
Definitely go with the Samsung 840! It's a good reliable one...

Seeking_Knowled
Level 7
Ok guys thank you for you great help. I've one final question before clicking on order button.

The ram is 2133 Mhz and apparently MVF does not support 2133 Mhz, will this be a problem?

Zka17
Level 16
It does supports 2133MHz! Even up to 2800MHz... 🙂

Seeking_Knowled
Level 7
Thank you guys, you are GREAT.

I'm glad that I've joined your community and soon will be ROG'ed :cool:

THANK YOU AGAIN.

Best regards,

TenBlade
Level 11
ROG on, mate!!! 😉