cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building dream PC, need help from experts

Seeking_Knowled
Level 7
Hi there,

I've finally decided to build my dream PC. However, this is my first time trying to build a computer from the scratch and I'm going to need your help guys. So, please be patient and help me through these HARD choices.

The PC is mentioned for Gaming, video editing and multitask work on two monitors

I'll start from the case (I don't have an idea about computer cases, sizes and features, but what I need is a case that have a plastic window to look inside and good airflow) I've found that Corsair Obsidian Series Black 800D Full Tower Computer Case (CC800DW) - 244$ good one and have good space inside.

1. Motherboard:
I've very difficult choice to make regarding Motherboard, there are too many out there and I don't really know what is suitable for me. However I've managed to drop the list to these motherboards:
ASUS Maximus V FORMULA/THUNDERFX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard - 359$

Maximus IV Extreme

Rampage IV Formula

Sabertooth

2. Processor:
Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K - 324$

3. Video card
Regarding video card reviews and benchmarks I've found that these two cards are the best in the market right now Ofcourse GTX 690 not included due it's high price:

a)Gigabyte or SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 WF 3X GHz Edition 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 DVI-I/HDMI/2x mini-DP Crossfire Ready Graphics Card GV-R797TO-3GD << my current choice

b)EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

4. RAM:
I don't have much knowledge about RAM types and brands.

Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 MHz (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory (CMD8GX3M2A2133C9)

Power supply:
Corsair Professional Series AX 1200 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX1200) - 264$

HDD:
I'm going to purchase later Solid state drive, but for now I'm going to order Normal sata III drive.

WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA III, 32 MB Cache - WD10EALX

FANS & AIRFLOW:
I don't have any idea about fans and airflow strategy (like: how many fans I'm going to need where to put these fans .. etc)

BTW, I don't have any budget in mind right now. However, whole pc should not exceed 2000$.

ELSE: is there anything else I'm going to need, consider?

what is your suggestions, ideas?

Your help is appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

Xaanix
Level 7
You've listed both x79 and z77 chipsets, so lets figure out that nut first:

Please arrange this list in order of importance to you:
* CPU Multitasking Capability (for highly multithreaded apps)
* CPU Clock Speed/efficiency (for single threaded apps)
* Memory Bandwidth
* Ability to run more than 2 graphics cards in SLI, or other demands for PCIe Bandwidth (Such as a PCIe based SSD)
* Upgrade path (futureproofing)

If you have a desired gaming resolution, please list that as well.

Sounds to me like you would want a 3930k on Rampage IV formula, with a single gtx 680 based on your initial comments..
Motherboard Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula x79
CPU Intel i7 4820k Ivy Bridge-E @ 4.6ghz
GPU(s) 3 WAY SLI -- EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature (2GB)
Displays 5140x1050 @ 120hz using 3 x Samsung 2233RZ
RAM 16 GB 2133mhz G.Skill RipJaws Z
PSU LEPA G Series G1600-MA
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra
Storage Vertex 3 256 (Games), Intel 320 Series 128 (OS), + 4TB HDD

xeromist
Extreme boards are targeted at overclockers whereas the Formula boards are targeted at gamers so I'd probably go for that.

Good choices on the memory and PSU. HOWEVER you might want more memory for video editing if you are going to be working on large clips of HD video. It really depends on what software you use and what you'll be editing but some situations can really suck up the memory. 16GB is not much more expensive and still works with Windows 7 Home Premium (more than 16 only supported on pro/ultimate).
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Zka17
Level 16
Hey, welcome to the ROG Forum! 🙂

I do have a Corsair 800d, but one thing I can assure you: it does not have good airflow... and it's huge... I would check the HAF X, Storm Trooper, Cosmos ones...

I think, the Maximus V Formula with the 3770k is a pretty good choice...

Regarding the memories, that CPU works really fine with the GSkill Trident X series... and they may be even cheaper than the Dom Plats...

Having an SSD and a HDD in your system is good to split the OS (on SSD) and the data (on the HDD) - that's the fastest setup... if you want to start with a single HDD it's fine, however, I would do it with the WD's Caviar Black instead...

Thank you guys very much for your suggestions (I've changed few things in my build according to your advice). I was building my machine from Amazon & Newegg. However, they both does not ship to Europe. Therefore, I'm going to buy my components from local seller, this made prices go higher. So, I'm going to change few things to drop the price and upgrade them later. THIS IS MY FINAL LIST WITH FEW QUESTIONS PLEASE IF THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THIS BUILD, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Also, there is a chance that I'm going to use 2 7970 Ghz in the future.

a) Which one is better in your opinion LGA 1155 or 2011?? why?
b) IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH MAXIMUS V FORMULA mPCIE combo??
c) Which one is better GTX 680 or 7970 Ghz edition << only in performance and stability.
d) does the PSU support my build?
e) do I need hardware RAID card in order to get SSD & HDD working?

CURRENT BUILD:

1. COOLER MASTER Case HAF X Full tower

2. CORSAIR PSU PRO Gold AX850 850W

3. ASUS Maximus V Formula Republic of Gamers - Socket 1155 - Chipset Z77 - E-ATX

4. INTEL Core i7 Ivy Bridge 3770 - 3,4 GHz - Cache L3 8 Mt - Socket LGA 1155 (BX80637I73770)

5. SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY Radeon HD 7970 Vapor-X GHz Edition - 3 Gt GDDR5 - PCI-Express 3.0 (11197-12-40G)

6. INTEL SSD Cherryville 520 Series - 120 Gb

7. WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 3.5" - 2 Tb

8. CORSAIR RAM Vengeance Performance 2 x 4 Gb DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
or
8. G-SKILL RAM RipjawsX Series 2 x 4 Gb DDR3-2133 - PC3-17000 - CL11 (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL)

9. ASUS DVD±RW DRW-24B5ST - 24x

10. COOLER MASTER CPU COOLER Hyper 212 EVO (RR-212E-16PK-R1)

BTW, if there is anything missing please let me know.
regarding Xaanix question.
* Upgrade path (futureproofing)
* CPU Clock Speed/efficiency (for single threaded apps)
* Ability to run more than 2 graphics cards in SLI, or other demands for PCIe Bandwidth (Such as a PCIe based SSD)
* CPU Multitasking Capability (for highly multithreaded apps

Best regards,

Seeking Knowledge wrote:
8. CORSAIR RAM Vengeance Performance 2 x 4 Gb DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
or
8. G-SKILL RAM RipjawsX Series 2 x 4 Gb DDR3-2133 - PC3-17000 - CL11 (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL)

Go with the g.skill. Even if you don't actually clock it up to the higher speed you should be able to tighten the timings.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Go with the g.skill. Even if you don't actually clock it up to the higher speed you should be able to tighten the timings.

Thank you xeromist, I've added g.skill to the list and deleted corsair.

Could you please answer these questions:
a) Which one is better in your opinion LGA 1155 or 2011?? why?
b) IS THERE ANY PROBLEM WITH MAXIMUS V FORMULA mPCIE combo??
e) do I need hardware RAID card in order to get SSD & HDD working?

Chino
Level 15
In which part of Europe do you live exactly? And what is your budget? I'll see if I can improve your build or see if you can get it for cheaper.

Seeking_Knowled
Level 7
I live in finland. This build cost me 1 757,48 € ~ 2,376.81 USD. However, I've tried many sites and most of them send part of the package and not whole package, for example: amazon.co.uk when I went to checkout page they told me that they ship to finland only the HAF X and PSU.

Edit:

I've used Pixmania.com // fi .. to order these comp.

Zka17
Level 16
a) Go with the LGA1155 - 3570K or 3770k CPU on a Maximus V Formula
b) Have no idea, never needed it...
c) You can not get an SSD and HDD in the same RAID array... RAID supposed to be between the same storage devices (SSD-SSD or HDD-HDD)... on the MVF you can setup RAID array without no problem, it's a built in feature - so no RAID card is needed...