cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a PC but can't decide!

bax644
Level 7
I am building a PC for heavy gaming and VM (Virtual Machine) usage. For gaming in particular, I'm gearing up for Star Citizen. I have come to two conclusions about what I want to build over the next few weeks and it is between AMD (more budget for better graphics) vs Intel (More power!). -- I know, I know. Classic debate. However, I'm not debating on how much more awesome one is over the other. I know Intel is better -in general-. Over the years, I have only ever used Intel twice for building PCs and that was when money was no problem. I am trying to keep these builds to about $1750 if at all possible.

Note: I am more or less a novice OCer. I like fiddling with it, but I start to pit a little if I start seeing any instability. I'm getting better (less nervous!).

Anyhow, the two builds I have currently are:

INTEL:
CPU -- i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler -- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard -- Asus RIVBE
Memory -- G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 (eventually 32-64 for VMs)
Storage -- Toshiba 2TB 3.5
Video Card -- Asus Radeon R9 270X 4GB (I might swap this out for a GTX760)
Case -- Rosewill ARMOR-EVO
Power Supply -- Cooler Master 750W ATX
Optical Drive -- Asus DRW-24B1ST
OS -- Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit
Monitor -- Asus VE247H 23.6"

Comes to a total of $1762.87. What's that? Why get the RIVBE when I can get something less expensive and put that money toward, say, a better graphics card? Because I intend to eventually upgrade that 4820k Quad Core to whatever the fastest thing I can slap onto that badass motherboard. When the release date of SC gets closer, I am more than likely going to replace the R9/GTX with something else rather than SLI/Crossfire.

I know it's always funny to see people say "I'm trying to future proof my PC" but I really am. I'm trying to get the most expensive things out of the way first, then adjust things here and there.

Now, for the AMD:

CPU -- AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler -- Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard -- Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Memory -- G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 (eventually 32GB for VMs)
Storage -- Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 3.5 (No idea why I swapped out the Toshiba for this, they're similarly priced)
Video Card -- MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR
Case -- Rosewill ARMOR-EVO ATX Full Tower
Power Supply -- Cougar 760W
Optical Drive -- Asus DRW-24B1ST
OS -- Microsoft Windows 8.1
Monitor -- Asus VE247H 23.6

Clocking in at $1719.47. I am basically going for an ever so slightly less expensive FX8350 combo'd with the Crosshair V F-Z in order to gobble up the R9 290X with the intention of picking up a second 290X in the near (see toward the end of the year) future. For this build, like the INTEL build, I will be maxing out my Memory for VMs. Unless I understand my VM playing wrong, the more RAM, the more VMs I can run. Also, I might go after the FX9590, even though it's just an OC'd 8350 and power hungry hog that looks like it can reach above 300w, on some reviews.

I am not looking for an Intel VS AMD debate. Moreso: Picking up the most expensive Motherboard Asus has and slowly replacing/adding parts to it VS picking up a 8350 and going for the 290X.

Reminder: This is for heavy gaming coupled with moonlighting as a VM runner.

I WOULD wait on this stuff, but my current laptop is on her last legs and isn't quite keeping up with the shiny new games I try to enjoy. -- Oh, and I want a PC. I miss having a PC.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

kkn
Level 14
intel.
amd been on a standstill when it comes to new gen CPU generation ( am3+ for example ) been on standstill the past 3 years.

i would go for the intel, upgrade whit SSD and GPU and some ram.
just remember the ram have to be a quad chanel ram since the LGA2011 are quad channel motherboard. ( it may support dual but i have not been in to board like this, just saying what others have been saying about it )

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm...I go with Intel routinely because they have the top scores but gaming I can imagine not much difference...and if it means getting a better GPU now...I'd go with the FXchip

Future proof is funny because you simply can't...:rolleyes:

For running two cards at stock you would want 850W power supply and for OCing etc you really want 1000w.... or even more if you are OCing everything to the max...and you want a good PSU!!...it is the heart of your system...

seasonic 1000w platinum AMD system with 290x and another to be added later...great. though for a 1080p monitor one 290x is enough..

750w of mashed banana with a 760.....nah:o Go all in now if you want Intel...

Oh and you'd want ripjaws Z for X79

Oh and you want an SSD...this is the single thing that can give most performance...AMD+SSD much better than Intel and HDD.....

X-ROG
Level 15
If you're trying to future-proof your PC go Z97 very soon. There's no guarantee you'll be able to buy a 6-core CPU for that socket once the socket is end of life, unless you scour ebay, but even then those prices are unlikely to drop.

If you're heavy gaming you want an R9 280X or above, or GTX 770 upwards. 270X is not worth the cash.

For monitor - VG248Q - 144Hz, or, wait for Swift PG278Q around mid-year.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
If you're trying to future-proof your PC go Z97 very soon. There's no guarantee you'll be able to buy a 6-core CPU for that socket once the socket is end of life, unless you scour ebay, but even then those prices are unlikely to drop.

If you're heavy gaming you want an R9 280X or above, or GTX 770 upwards. 270X is not worth the cash.

For monitor - VG248Q - 144Hz, or, wait for Swift PG278Q around mid-year.

Trying to market the more expensive ASUS products, eh Marshall?

I wouldn't get that monitor, because you'd need 144fps to reach the refresh rate, which means high-end cards in SLI or CF.

I'd meet in the middle and get a mainstream intel.
Unlocked core i5 once Broadwell is out.
R9 290 for graphics.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

bax644
Level 7
Thanks for the replies, folks! I'll have a few more looks through what I stand to game from each side. I like Antronman's response of meeting in the middle.