cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a hyper v server

mmcbj5
Level 7
I am looking to build a hyper v server that will run 3 servers 2012 and 2 os with thin apps can alone tell me what would be the best set up for this type of system as i have never done this before
12 REPLIES 12

Chino
Level 15

it is €2000 at the most as it is for a college project and i need to start it ASAP

xeromist
Depending what kind of performance you need out of the VM you could run this on just about any hardware that supports virtualization. I would recommend looking at used business class stuff because unless you need guaranteed service and up time you will pay far too much for new bits. Check ebay and you might be able to just buy a whole server.

The most important thing for multiple VMs is plenty of memory. I'm not sure exactly how you will be using them but memory is cheap so I wouldn't go less than 12GB.

Also, I wouldn't discount the option of using a cloud provider. If this is a temporary project and you don't need physical possession of your server then you owe it to yourself to explore this option. With many providers you only pay for what you use so a small temporary project is dirt cheap. And if you guess wrong how much power you need you can always scale up.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Fallen-Angel
Level 7
Go with this mobo: http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-H8QGL-IF+-Motherboard-SWTX-w--Quad-1944-pin-S-G34~10021077~0.htm Info
Here some good CPU deals. I personally own an Opteron 6282SE. http://www.ebay.de/sch/sis.html?_nkw=AMD+Opteron+6172+12core+Magny+Cours+2+1GHz+12+x+512KB+L2+12MB+L...
Cooler: it depends on what case you'll use. In my case it's a tower so I use this one for cooling: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0068OI7T8/ref=oh_details_o07_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then choose a good 1200+ Watt PSU and some HDDs. The memory depends on which CPU you'll choose.

In the end install HyperV.

P.S.: You may also take a mobo with only two or even one slot of CPU and/or choose some older CPUs in order to save money. It depends on how you want to use your rig(s). But supermicro products are very useful in the server genre.

what I am planning to do is have the VM's and the apps virtual and only allow certain users use certain apps by using thermal services on server 2012

This is the parts I was thing of since the budget is tight
I was going to go with
Intel i7 3770k
Asus Maximus 5 gene
corsair 32gb ddr3 1600Mhz
EVGA GeForce GTX 680
Corsair 860W AX860i 80PLUS Platinum High Performance Digital PSU
and the Corsair C70

xeromist
That looks like a gaming rig to me. Is the goal for this to become your gaming rig after the project is over?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

mmcbj5
Level 7
correct but I was always told if you don't know what parts to get go more for the gaming
pieces as they are normally better and easer to find that enterprise level parts.
Do you think it will do what I want for the project ?

xeromist
Probably. Performance will vary with load but if this is a small school project you shouldn't find yourself starved for CPU cycles. The 3770 doesn't support VT-d but it does support VT-x so it's only an issue if you need virtualized I/O devices. That should be plenty of memory so you're good there.

mmcbj5
Level 7
thanks for the help when it is your first build you don't really know where to start and what are the bits to get