cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build shuts down instead of sleep

PugMiester
Level 7
I've been going through this for literally months, and it is literally causing me to develop regularly scheduled headaches.

When I manually go to set my PC to sleep, it shuts down the whole system. To make it worse, the power button doesn't turn it back on. I have to manually shut off the power supply and turn it back on for the system to power on again. However, just letting my PC go to sleep on its own does get it to sleep, but trying again after some time, even automatically sleeping cause it to shut off.
All my BIOS settings are default except for PBO, Virtualization (SVM), and Aura lights to Aura Only once my PC boots to Windows

I already have my Windows sleep setting on Balanced:
96002

Here is my System build:
96003

Funnily enough, when I underclocked my RAM to 3200Mhz from 3600Mhz because I felt like Cyberpunk kept crashing at these speeds, the sleep option does actually get my PC to go to sleep as well as automatically, and I'm able to turn the build back on no problem.
So, I figured it has to be my motherboard screwing me because sleep is also not working proper but when I have the setting to make all the motherboard lights tun off when in low power, the lights turn back on; or Windows 10 somehow got corrupted at some point and I'm not able to pinpoint when Windows started to misbehave, hell, a USB port is suspiciously signaling a disconnecting and Windows keep alerting with the USB Disconnected sound - it could also be because of my custom theme but on my old B550 board, none of there were an issue.

Is there anything I can do on my motherboard side, like clearing CMOS or downgrading BIOS, that can fix my issue altogether or should I do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and hope for the best.

Please, explain stuff to me like I'm a complete noob to PC building


P.S. - When I do run my RAM speed to 3200Mhz, I'm able to run a CL of 14, which I find really curious
1,131 Views
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Moderator
Hi PugMiester

As you suggest, try clearing the cmos or entering the bios and hit the F5 key to reset to defaults, then do some testing and see if all problems disappear.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi PugMiester

As you suggest, try clearing the cmos or entering the bios and hit the F5 key to reset to defaults, then do some testing and see if all problems disappear.


Just to be a step ahead, if my problem persists after that, then should I reinstall Windows or attempt to get a replacement motherboard? (I unfortunately didn't buy warranty at the time I bought the motherboard because I never had to deal with hardware problems like this before)

Nate152 wrote:
Hi PugMiester

As you suggest, try clearing the cmos or entering the bios and hit the F5 key to reset to defaults, then do some testing and see if all problems disappear.


Just tested with everything on default and the system works now, but unfortunately, now my motherboard isn't detected on Armoury Crate
96004

Edit: false alarm, everything's working fine now, even the USB problem. I'll probably post again if my issue comes back

Nate152
Moderator
Ok great, good to hear all is working at default settings.

The problems you are experiencing are likely due to unstable memory.

Nate152 wrote:
Ok great, good to hear all is working at default settings.

The problems you are experiencing are likely due to unstable memory.


I'm back and the sleep problem is also back. Apparently, when I have the motherboard lights set to Aura Only, that kills the whole system. So then when I so then when I set the Aura lights to default now manually sleeping doesn't work. Should I just give up and let my system sleep on its own if it's going to make me waste time dealing with constantly moving to the back of my desk just to power off and on a system?

Also, why would memory be a problem? Not saying you're wrong, but I would like to know a possibility considering my RAM is only running on DOCP and factory settings

xeromist
Moderator
DOCP and XMP are overclocks. Memory kits are sold with various speed and timing profiles, and they often work at or near those targets, but the only thing guaranteed to work are the JEDEC baseline speeds. This is why motherboard manufacturers do testing and publish a QVL. If your kit is on the QVL and does not perform at that speed then it's likely something is wrong: either a bad memory kit, a weak memory controller on the CPU, or the motherboard needs a BIOS update. If the memory is not on the motherboard QVL then you are on your own to test and validate the memory at a stable speed. I've purchased multiple kits and had to run them one or two steps below the advertised speed. This was especially true on 1st gen Ryzen but it's way better now.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
DOCP and XMP are overclocks. Memory kits are sold with various speed and timing profiles, and they often work at or near those targets, but the only thing guaranteed to work are the JEDEC baseline speeds. This is why motherboard manufacturers do testing and publish a QVL. If your kit is on the QVL and does not perform at that speed then it's likely something is wrong: either a bad memory kit, a weak memory controller on the CPU, or the motherboard needs a BIOS update. If the memory is not on the motherboard QVL then you are on your own to test and validate the memory at a stable speed. I've purchased multiple kits and had to run them one or two steps below the advertised speed. This was especially true on 1st gen Ryzen but it's way better now.


So, it seems DOCP wasn't my issue. It's just that I have to leave the motherboard Aura lights setting to default after clearing CMOS otherwise sleeping breaks the system again. What gives?