cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build Advice needed!

Jay2Play
Level 7
Hi. I am currently in the process of building a new gaming/streaming PC setup. I really want to know the max I can get out of my current purchases and if you think there would be any compatibility issues.

Purchased list
Intel Core i7 4960X - Purchased
AX1200i Corsair PSU - Purchased
Thermaltake Level 10 Snow Edition - Purchased
Corsair H100i CPU Liquid Cooler - Purchased
Asus ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION Motherboard Core i7 Socket 2011 X79 Extended ATX RAID Gigabit LAN - Just Purchased it

Currently looking at to purchase list
Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM 32 GB 4x8GB DDR3 1866Mhz PC3-15000 - CL9 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC - ? This is a Dual Channel Kit

I want to know if the current CPU is compatible with the Asus ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION Motherboard Core i7 Socket 2011 X79 Extended ATX RAID Gigabit LAN and would I run into problems with the selected RAM. If you think I should upgrade something please let me know thanks.

Much Appreciated for your advice and guidance :).
Current System Build:
Intel 4960X i7 OC 4.9GHz
ROG Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
4x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB DDR3 1866MHz 14900 F3-1866C9Q-32GZH 9-9-9-24
Asus GeForce GTX 770 x3 SLi
C: Crucial M4 512GB SSD
😧 Samsung 840 512GB SSD
E: 4TB SSHD
Corsair ATX 1200i
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition.
22 REPLIES 22

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Gorman you seem to be confused....I hope you don't confuse others.

Kits are labelled "Dual" or "Dual/Quad channel"

If any 4 stick kit is labeled Dual it will be a typo or simply misleading. I have not seen this.

From Corsair website

Etc. etc.

Kits are a group of chips that run together at certain settings. Timings frequencies. Even the "same" make and model of kit that comes off the conveyor on the same day will be different and might have some secondary or tertiary or quaternary timings that are different. Not to mention that kits often have different version numbers which means the chips in them are from entirely different manufacturers...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Kits are labeled "dual" or "Dual/Quad channel"

If you look in the dual channel kits there are some that are made up of various sticks...4 or 8 they say they are X79 compatible I suppose they are OK...just not clear labeling. They should be listed as "Dual/Quad"

From corsair website

Two dual channel kits that roll off the line on the same day might not be compatible. "same" make and model does not mean they are compatible for the reason I explained above...binning. Not to mention that many kits of "same make and model" have diferent version numbers meaning the chips on them are from totally different manufacturers....

etc etc

Gorman
Level 12
What they said is obvious and has nothing to do with the actual ram sticks though?

Obviously they can't guarantee performance in configurations they haven't tested.
Obviously you shouldn't put more memory in than a motherboard can support.
Obviously you shouldn't populate a non-round multiple of the number of channels (3 sticks in a dual channel).

I was just curious if there actually was a technical reason instead of just ass-covering, seems like there isn't.

I wonder what they say about dual channel kits with 4 sticks? It's tested in a quad configuration but not on a quad channel chipset I guess? Just proves that what they are saying is just for legal reasons I guess!

Now what were you saying about x79 not being able to handle non-"quad channel" ram? (and of course, I use the term "quad channel ram" very liberally since we all know there's no such thing).

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There are none so blind as those who will not see 😄

OP sorry for threadnapping hope you have the info you need!

Gorman
Level 12
I wouldn't say you are blind, marketing teams spend a lot of money to come up with these buzzwords and justify selling at markups for the same products 😛 Glad I could help you remove the scales from your eyes so to speak, though!

I'm still interested to know why you think x79 can't handle 4 'non quad channel' ram sticks, or if it's just the same reason. Feel free to pm me!

Jay2Play
Level 7
Board arrived finally ^_~ now waiting on the RAM xD I will get the G skill RAM as mentioned above and see how they make babies together when all connected lol

Current System Build:
Intel 4960X i7 OC 4.9GHz
4x 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB DDR3 1866MHz 14900 F3-1866C9Q-32GZH 9-9-9-24
😧 Samsung 840 512GB SSD
Corsair ATX 1200i
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

Jay2Play
Level 7
I went to purchase http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231626 But on the Specs it says Compatible with Socket 1150 will this work with socket 2011.... Need info thanks.
Current System Build:
Intel 4960X i7 OC 4.9GHz
😧 Samsung 840 512GB SSD
Corsair ATX 1200i
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

kkn
Level 14
good to go. its quad channel memory so its for the 2011.
it only means it can be used on the 1150 or amd platforms if wanted.
as stated here -> Features
Compatible with Intel LGA1155 and AMD APU/AM3+ platforms
Optimized 1.5V low voltage
Intel XMP support for 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yep..that's a quad channel kit so perfect for 2011. The black G.Skill kits are great on X79...:D

It is just making the point that this is compatible with dual channel boards as two dual channel kits 😉

Jay2Play
Level 7
ok awesome. Was just making sure as didn't want to order it and it was gonna give me the middle finger lol. Have to order it from newegg as I'm in England. Just waiting on my case to get here now. So I have something to put it all in lol. I bought the Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition what you guys think will it be good for my motherboard?
Current System Build:
Intel 4960X i7 OC 4.9GHz
😧 Samsung 840 512GB SSD
Corsair ATX 1200i
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler