cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brand new system, can't boot

tattooedpariah
Level 7
After 2 months of waiting, i finally got all the parts for my new system and it won't boot..

Crosshair VIII Hero wifi
Ryzen 9 3950X
G.Skill Ripjawz V 64gb
Rog Ryugin 360
Samsung 2tb ssd
Two seagate 6tb hdd

First boot, get the AMT screen telling me new CPU detected and do I want to run setup? Hit F1, black screen. Wait 15 minutes, no change, reboot.

Now everytime i boot it tells me CPU Fan Error, press F1 to enter setup. Pressing F1 goes to black screen and nothing else.

I have the ryugin plugged into "cpu aio" on the MB but have also tried CPU FAN and CPU OPT.

What am i missing? I can't even get into BIOS to adjust fan rpm threshholds, which is what the majority of google searches tell me fixes the fan error..

No OS installed, need to tell the bios to boot from a usb drive since it has no optical drive..
8 REPLIES 8

Bookumdanno
Level 7
Have you tried clearing the Bios? Either by removing the battery or jumping the clr bios as per the manual.

tattooedpariah
Level 7
I have not yet, but since it has never booted, it should already be at factory settings... right?

tattooedpariah
Level 7
So since the CMOS battery is behind my first GPU, I used the "Clear CMOS" button on the input panel on the back of the tower.. When I booted after that, I get the following on the bottom of the POST screen:

Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting.
CPU Fan Error!
When RAID configuration was built, ensure to set SATA Configuration to RAID mode.
Press F1 to Run Setup.

If I press F1, the screen goes black (like true black, like there's no input signal), then black (like it's getting a video signal, but there's nothing to display) and it stays like that. I gave it about 5 or 6 minutes before turning it back off.

If I boot again, I'm back where I was with just the CPU Fan Error! Press F1 to Run Setup. and pressing F1 yields the same result.

All 3 radiator fans, all GPU fans and all the chassis fans are spinning. I even tried plugging the AIO lead into a CHA Fan header and leaving it unplugged. No change, I can't get past POST.

So Asus tech support gave me three things to try:

1. Clear CMOS using the "clear CMOS" button on the back of the board.
2. Clear CMOS using the jumper
3. Clear CMOS by removing the battery and using the jumper.

I know it's been a LONG time since I got my computer degree, but have things changed so much that the BIOS settings FROM THE FACTORY would prevent a system from getting past POST?

to reiterate, this is a BRAND NEW system that has NEVER been powered on. I haven't tweaked anything, i simply installed the hardware and powered it up and I've never seen anything past the POST screen. How is CMOS and BIOS resetting supposed to help?

tattooedpariah
Level 7
Also, when I press F1 to enter setup, the Qcode does display A9 (Start of Setup), but then after about 4 or 5 minutes, it changes to AA and never does anything after that.. screen stays lit up, but black (monitor doesn't go to sleep, so it's still getting a video signal, it's just a black screen)

drop4205
Level 12
download the latest bios for that board and do a bios flashback to load new bios and see what happens. Just a thought
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

drop4205 wrote:
download the latest bios for that board and do a bios flashback to load new bios and see what happens. Just a thought

That was my thought too, but it came with Rev 1201 installed and most recent is 1302 so it's pretty current.. my CPU and Ram have been covered since like 0902 according to the website. and it won't proceed to the boot phase after POST..

I download the BIOS file, used the renamer to rename it, put it on a thumbstick, and got nothing. Even had the random thought of maybe all the usb ports aren't initialized, so I put the thumbdrive int he usb port that the keyboard was in since that worked, and still nothing..

I got an e-mail this morning that they basically gave up and want me to RMA it. so who knows how long it's going to be until I can get this new system running.. 😕

tattooedpariah wrote:
That was my thought too, but it came with Rev 1201 installed and most recent is 1302 so it's pretty current.. my CPU and Ram have been covered since like 0902 according to the website. and it won't proceed to the boot phase after POST..

I download the BIOS file, used the renamer to rename it, put it on a thumbstick, and got nothing. Even had the random thought of maybe all the usb ports aren't initialized, so I put the thumbdrive int he usb port that the keyboard was in since that worked, and still nothing..

I got an e-mail this morning that they basically gave up and want me to RMA it. so who knows how long it's going to be until I can get this new system running.. 😕

Where did you download the renamer app from? it didnt come with my bios download for some reason
Ive been looking for this all night and cant find it 😞