cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS hotkey after boot?

Korth
Level 14
The Supermicro motherboards I use at work have a feature which allows the user to enter BIOS during runtime with a hotkey.

Ctrl-Esc-F12 by default to prevent unintentional activations (although user can redefine to some other three-key combo), disabled by default, and unable to change all settings (many critical items are greyed out) after boot ... but still it's an option, and still it provides instant access to a lot of useful BIOS info/settings during runtime. Very handy to just hotkey from desktop to BIOS, change something, hotkey back to desktop, immediately see the effect - no need for restarts and reboots and POSTs every time you tweak some trivial value.

I've also seen this feature on some new Dell enterprise boards, and I recall seeing it on old (IBM? HP?) enterprise boards. And, in past decades, even on a few particular consumer motherboards (low-end items made by Tyan and Abit).

Does ASUS/ROG support anything similar?

And, if not, then why not?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]
0 REPLIES 0