Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bent Pins!

pbxcomm
Level 9
Hi all,
Old news, old topic..
I'm nearing the process assembling my second Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition. I'm going to ask here if there are spceific prcedures I would need to follow when installing the CPU to avoid bending pins.
I have bent a few in the past and as careful as I am, the pins bend. Is there a few tips to share here to avoid this issue? I read that there are users here that have never bent pins and had installed several CPU's.

Any help appreciated..
4 REPLIES 4

hortons71
Level 7
I've never bent any pins. I avoid precision jobs when I have extreme pain, shakiness and easily lose patience.

But I've had Rampage IV Extreme with an i7-3970X. I mounted it according to the manual, with the plastic bit. But you might not have it?

hortons71 wrote:
I've never bent any pins. I avoid precision jobs when I have extreme pain, shakiness and easily lose patience.

But I've had Rampage IV Extreme with an i7-3970X. I mounted it according to the manual, with the plastic bit. But you might not have it?

I will need to look for it.. I've never used the plastic cap, this must be what I'm missing. I'm not a thorough reader of manuals and obviously missed this most important step.

Thanks for your reply and advise..

pbxcomm
Level 9
I cannot locate the plastic bit.. Would anyone here have other advise before I install the CPU?

Thanks

You can probably mount it without the plastic cap if you carefully place the cpu in the alignment points and hold it in place with one hand and lock it with the other.