cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bent Pins (Venting)

samual
Level 11
I was going to send my Maximus VIII Extreme for RMA, I was taking photos of the socket when I noticed two pins were bent. I probably bent them when I was changing the CPU. Bummer! I now have to cancel my RMA and send the board away to have the socket repaired.

I looked at the socket using a magnifier and will try to bend the pins back myself (nothing to lose).

Thanks for listening to me vent.
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Been there!:o

Should be easy enough to bend them back...magnifying glass and a pin...assuming they are not too badly bent...

samual
Level 11
Thanks for your responses. I'll try to straighten them tomorrow. I have a third hand magnifier.
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
How are they bent samual? up or down?

Either way...careful teasing with repeat strokes in the direction you want is the way to go....don't try to bend straight to where you want them...

The big dangers are snapping one or "pulling them up by the root"...don't know how to explain this better but they can kind of be pulled up from what they are set in and then that is very difficult to undo...

Maybe get a feel from this vid?

meankeys
Level 13
i have a usb microscopee they work very well for all your up close work. 20 bucks on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xusb+micr.TR...

good luck samual

Menthol
Level 14
I have wanted one of those microscopes for a long time, had several in cart and decided not to but, figured they were just a piece of poop, will have to get one