cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Z690 formula (PD_12V_PWR) connector?

turbo3000
Level 7
Hi,

Im building my new ASUS z690 formula rig and i have come across this 6pin connector "PD-12V_PWR". I don't know if this actually connects from to board to the GPU or does it connect from the board to the ATX?

What are your thoughts?

Tony
4 REPLIES 4

kenharw1
Level 7
Tony,
I don't have an answer, but rather a question: What are you going to use for memory? I just got my Formula today, and this is the first build in 8 years, so I'm way behind the power curve. In fact, my last build was an Asus Maximus VI Impact, so I'm like a pig looking at a wristwatch.
Ken

xeromist
The 6 pin connector is for supplemental power from your power supply. We've reached the point where the 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors are not always enough so some motherboards now have additional connectors. It mentions "graphics" connector because it uses the same format of plug that you plug directly into your GPU. Your power supply should have an extra connector (most still do even though SLI isn't really a thing anymore).
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The 6 pin connector is for supplemental power from your power supply. We've reached the point where the 24-pin and 8-pin power connectors are not always enough so some motherboards now have additional connectors. It mentions "graphics" connector because it uses the same format of plug that you plug directly into your GPU. Your power supply should have an extra connector (most still do even though SLI isn't really a thing anymore).

So just to be clear, you can use a regular GPU power cable?

Nate152
Hi Lude2Envy,

Yes, it is a 6-pin pcie power connector, use a 6-pin pcie power cable from your power supply.

According to the manual, the 6-pin pcie power connector is for extra wattage to the pcie x16 slots and usb 3.2 headers.