Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Strix Ryzen build suggestions

Fropwns
Level 7
Introduction/ Main uses of intended build:

Hi,

I am building a new rig this fall/winter and have decided that I want to go with an ASUS Strix setup. That said, I have previous building experience. I am, though, going to be using some new brands (AMD, GSKILL) that I have not used before. I am sure I will overlook some nuances as a result. Quite honestly, the main uses of this rig will be work, word processing (writing projects), web surfing and gaming. Since I have shifted a great deal of my gaming to my PS4 (I know, I know; some will call me a dirty console peasant =P. Just know this, I have been a dirty console peasant and a member of the so-called master race since the Atari 2600 and Apple IIc days.), I no longer feel the need to pursue a video card the caliber of a 1080Ti (Though it is damn sexy-but why waste that card in my rig?)

Will you be overclocking: Yes; hopefully to 4.0, but a 3.8-3.9 stable is fine by me.

Previous build information (list details of parts):

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE (No Gsync; 144HZ, 1ms) 24” Monitor

Case: NZXT Phantom 410
Win 10 Pro
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Cooler: Corsair H100i
CPU: I7-3770K-currently stock
Memory: 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, Corsair Vengeance 8GB
SSD: 850 EVO 512GB
HDD1: WD Black, 1TB 7200
HDD2: WD Black, 1 TB 7200
VC: EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
WiFi: Asus AC1900
PSU: Corsair HX 750 (80+ Gold)
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1st/BLK/B/AS

Parts required:
Case, MB, CPU, Memory, Cooler (AIO), VC, PSU(?)

Monitor resolution: I will be keeping the ASUS VG248QE (No Gsync; 144HZ, 1ms) 24” Monitor, which is 1080P.

Storage requirements: I will be keeping the SSD and HDDs.

Budget: 1200-1500.00. I prefer not to go over—a past goal that I have failed to achieve. This could be old age frugality kicking in or being a father of an eleven-month-old, but building a $2000+ rig no longer appeals (though, if it was somebody else’s money, would be fun as hell.) as much as it once did.

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
Here is where my above statement about budget runs into a discussion of wants vs. needs. I do not need SLI or Xfire. But, I also like the idea of having options over time.

Extra information about desired system: In the past, I built systems with very high-end gear as a way to future proof—I typically do not upgrade mid-cycle. So, the above parts I have listed, minus the ssd, have been in place since 2013. Usually, I shoot for 4-5 years of service out of each build. I am not sure that that strategy has always been the soundest way to do it.

So, what do I want? A quiet and cool (in the sense of how it looks and performs), Ryzen 1600 built, system with RGB elements that games well at 1080p, but that will likely never be used solely as a gaming rig; ideally, it will last four or more years.

I have included a pcpart picker link: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Fropwns/saved/#view=MzGrHx

The above I have played with quite a bit over the past several months. I have settled that I want to go with ASUS, as I like the look of the Strix boards and the interconnectivity of Aura. You will note that I went with a non-RGB Ram kit. I did this because for the X370-F, Trident Z RGB 16GB is not currently on the QVL for the board; I am also aware of problems that are present currently with it and Ryzen boards. I choose the X370-F over the B350-F, which I am also interested in, because the QVL for the latter is far sparser. My hope is that the Trident Z RGB kit will be compatible with either board.

Okay, I think I have prattled on long enough, lol. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your time and help.
0 REPLIES 0