cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Maximus XI Hero + i9900k q-code 00 help (PC does not boot)

EvilTheCat
Level 7
So I got a new motherboard and a new CPU, after building for the first time I got a q-code of 00 there was no boot and therefore no post. After much searching, contacting ASUS and Amazon, it seemed as if one of the components was faulty. So I got a replacement for both, but same issue happened again. The chances for these components to be faulty again are astronomically low, so the issue must be with something else.

I have Corsair AX860 PSU, and it works perfectly fine with my old ASUS P9X79 + i7 3820k components (which I'm using right now)

Am I plugging in something wrong? Using the same power cable that powers my old CPU and Motherboard. I tried different cables for the CPU and different slots on the PSU. I only have the 1 motherboard cable, but like I said, all these were perfectly fine powering my old PC, even when I rebuilt it after the first Maximus + i9900k failure.

Is there anything else that might be causing this?
6 REPLIES 6

S4lticid
Level 9
As I'm sure you know, q-code 00 is usually CPU not detected or not getting full contact in the socket, but you had the CPU replaced as well as the Mobo... and yeah, it would be ridiculous bad luck to get another bad CPU and another bad Mobo, especially both.

Another thing that q-code can indicate is weak power. I'm sure you've triple checked that the pins are all fully seated on the plugs, though it's worth saying I really had to push hard to get the 24 pin to 'click' indicating it was indeed fully seated. It's been years but I don't recall ever having to push that hard on any board in the past. It's worth testing the 24 pin cable, perhaps buy a new 24 pin first and see? It's possible one of the wires is starting to become damaged or detached but it only shows when in the position for a new board and not in the position it's accustomed to in your current rig.

It seems unlikely the issue is your PSU as it's powering your current setup, but it is possible and at this point that seems like the next logical place to start looking. If it's not cables trying a new or borrowed PSU would be my next step.

I know I'm probably only echoing your own thought processes at this point, but that can be helpful sometimes. Maybe someone else here has something else unexpected and concrete. Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply.

I have been thinking along the same lines, unfortunately I can't really borrow a PSU and buying just a replacement 24 pin cable just feels like a half measure, if the issue is with the PSU. So I went ahead and ordered a new one, Corsair RM850x. At that stage it should remove any old component from the build and if that doesn't fix it, I can still return everything, although then I will really be lost as to the cause of this issue.

I'll update this thread once the new PSU arrives and I retry the build.

On the offchance... it may be an incredibly remote chance, but it's still possible to have gotten two bad CPUs in a row, especially if they were from the same seller and same lot. Have you checked the pins on the CPU? Might be worth doing while you're waiting for the PSU.

Crossing my fingers for you.

Yup, that was one of the first things I did, even had so look up what bent pins look like. But both of the CPUs and Motherboards appear to be in perfect*physical condition.

When you're dissapointed to not find a problem....

*mood

Got the PSU today, tested it, same error. I can't even begin to guess at the cause anymore. Even went as far as contacting Asus and posting this issue on a bunch of different forums, no solutions from anyone. Think I might just chock this off as some sort of a weird curse and just refund everything, maybe get a different combination of components once the refunds come through.