Ryzen 5950x
Crucial Ballistix Max RGB 4000 Mhz 32GB (2 x 16GB) CL18 18-19-19-39 1.35v
MSI 2080 Gaming Trio
Asus ROG Thor 1200 PSU
EK-AIO Elite 360
Samsung 980 Pro (1TB)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus (1 TB)
SK Hynix Gold P31 (1 TB)

I am having memory issues and seek advice!

I originally bought G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3800 Mhz 32GB (4x8GB) CL14 14-16-16-36 1.5v and it would not boot in DOCP. It would boot in auto mode, but would crash repeatedly. I reseated the memory with the same results. I called G.Skill and they told me to RMA the memory. I went over the QVL that ASUS provided and purchased Crucial Ballistix Max RGB 4000 Mhz 32GB (2 x 16GB) CL18 18-19-19-39 1.35v. Same results as before.

I do have a G.Skill Trident Z 3600 Mhz (4x8GB) CL17 17-18-18-38 1.35v that I can run in DOCP mode at speed, but it won't give me anything more. Precision Boost enabled and it crashes.

In other words, the BIOS is on loaded optimal settings and any changes it will crash. Where do I go next? Currently running at 2666 Mhz. I have built many computers, but this one is providing issues. I have been running Intel, so this is my first AMD build since Athlon64. I'm not an expert, but I'm not a novice either.

My motherboard has posted 0d, F9, 00 codes. Sometimes it reboots with fans on high and nothing. I have to unplug it. CPU Temps are running between 38 - 42 Celsus.

HELP!
18 REPLIES 18

D_BRASCO
Level 8
Very few have gotten a 5000 chip to boot at 4000mhz. The only way is winning the infinity fabric silicon lottery. You should be able to set the AI overclock tuner to Manual, then set Memory Freq to 3600-3800Mhz then manually set your timings in memory tab.

RedSector73
Level 12
djregehr wrote:
I have not tried an earlier BIOS. Maybe that would be something to try. The EATX connectors and all firmly seated. I currently have the DIMM's in A1 & B1. Is that correct?

I have selected DOCP as you have pictured. But if the BCLK Frequency is auto populated to 4000 Mhz, it will not work. That must be set at AUTO, which decreases the speed to 2666 Mhz.

I would take pics of my BIOS if I knew how.

A1 & B1 is slots 1 & 3 from CPU off memory.... which is not correct if this is the case and why you cant run DOCP.

That pic, isn't by me, just from the net and typical one I use to explain DOCP. Mobile phone, take pic, upload.

Honestly, ASUS should really look at why the BIOS does not simply tell a user you put it in the wrong slots when you enable DOCP, like say MSI boards do, would be much better user experience, than ha ha you got it wrong now ask for help num num ~IMO.

I have gotten a mostly stable build after switching DIMMs to 2 & 4. My DRAM Freq is currently at 1999.5 Mhz. That is slightly off my mark of 2000 Mhz with 4000 Mhz DIMM's. Been switching between OCCT, HWiNFO64, CTR 2.1 RC5 and Ryzen Master to see what I can get. Don't think I got the best silicone in the lottery. Thanks for the help. The issue was a bad BIOS flash. Downgraded and then upgraded the BIOS and it is much better. My top CPU boost is 5050.2 Mhz on 5 cores and 5025.2 Mhz on 7 cores. The lowest one is 4900.2 Mhz.

Now it is time for some benchmarking and tweaking. My last build was an Intel 8700K on an Asus Maximus X Hero. Getting used to AMD again.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

RedSector73
Level 12
No problem.

goto
Extreme Tweaker -> Tweaker's Paradise
SB Clock Spread Spectrum - change to disable.

Save and exit, enjoy full 2000 Mhz.

I'd ignore the whole lottery thing, most people who fling this around don't have qualifications or experience to know.

RedSector73 wrote:
No problem.

goto
Extreme Tweaker -> Tweaker's Paradise
SB Clock Spread Spectrum - change to disable.

Save and exit, enjoy full 2000 Mhz.

I'd ignore the whole lottery thing, most people who fling this around don't have qualifications or experience to know.

Hello,

One would need to have tested a CPU sample size large enough before making statements for or against, or have access to that information

1) CPU variance is indeed a factor, not all CPU can do 2GHz FCLK unconditionally.

2) 4 modules in duel rank configuration requires a good (or better than average) IMC at these speeds

3) Some CPU may require pushing certain rails uncomfortably out of spec to achieve these speeds

4) The memory kit would need to have sufficient guard band or have been qualified for that particular motherboard at those speeds

It is somewhat easy to throw statements about lottery around, but it still remains a reality.

1.085 VSOC

VDIMM 1.45

PLL 1.9v
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Even after switching SB Clock Spread Spectrum to disabled, I am only getting 1999.5 Mhz and I'm ok with that. Would popluating all 4 DIMM's matter? Newegg has a sale and I can get 2 more DIMM's for 15% off today. Don't think I need 64GB RAM, but if it helps with performance I would get it. I do some video editing and gaming. Once again thank for the feedback and help. If anyone else has some suggestions of improved performance, let me know. DRAM Calculator doesn't work at this speed or at least my version 1.7.3 says coming soon. Maybe it is the Micron B-die. I waffled between G.Skill and Crucial. I have always preferred G.Skill, but when you get dead sticks on delivery it made me look elsewhere. I do think G.Skill is better overall.

Using 2 sets of 2x8g 4400 MHz I'm having the same issues.

Namely anything over 3600 MHz causes a failure to boot up. DOCP enabled also causes failure to boot up.

My machine:
- Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI)
- Ryzen 9 5950X
- Saphire Toxic 6900 xt air cooled
- 4 x 8g DDR4 4400 MHz CL19 BLM2K8G44C19U4BL
- WD Blue 2TB HDD (not my os drive)
- XPG Gammix S70 Blade 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe Gen 4x4 SSD
- NZXT z73 Kraken AIO cooler on my 5950X
- 850w PSU

I'm fairly new to OC and RAM timings so I'm trying to educate myself on these topics while also looking for some guidance. Would I be better off getting some 3600 MHz RAM with tight timings instead? Seeing as this seems to be a known issue that's not getting support and it could be a while before 4k MHz, or higher, is actually possible/stable from an update or can I make this work in a stable way with effort?

I have now tried 3 different sets of RAM

Corsair Ballistix Max RGB DDR4 4000 Mhz 18-19-19-38 1.35V (2x16 GB)
G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3600 Mhz 17-18-18-38 1.35V (4x8 GB)
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 Mhz 16-19-19-39 1.35V (4x8 GB) - Current

The 3600 Mhz is more stable and 4 DIMM's filled is better than 2. My current RAM is on the motherboard list for recommended memory. I can run Cinnabench, but I can't get through a testing phase with Project Hydra 1.0F. Very random. DOCP on or off doesn't seem to make a difference. Virtualization does! Temps aren't an issue. Voltages seem a bit low at times, but my power supply checks out. I just put in an ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 to see if the video card was causing issues, but so far just an expensive upgrade.

I get a disconnect sound, my RGB lighting flickers and then it reboots without a BSOD. Nothing in Event Viewer either. Still looking for answers with my current build. I'm not sure I will ever do AMD again with the issues with this build. Never had these issues before and I build a lot of computers!

Cosimo
Level 7
Should I consider it a case of silica lottery luck?