cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Geforce GTX 980Ti Matrix question

Jrod0247
Level 7
Will my 850W Power Supply be enough to power 2 of these? I'm trying to figure out if I will need to buy a higher wattage power supply. Also, has anyone tried 2 in SLI in the Maximus VI Formula to see how well they fit between the two cards? My computer specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7 4770k overclocked to 4.2
16 Gigs of Ram
Asus Formula VI Maximus
8 cooling fans
850W SeaSonic Power Supply
12 REPLIES 12

kkn
Level 14
if im not mistaken thats a 3 slot card ( from what i can see).
so you have to see where the next card is going to be slotted in and if its the slot closest to the card there will only be a few mm clerance.

Will that effect the cooling on the first card? I'm hoping it'll fit well enough. I'm not looking to upgrade my components any time soon.

Skunk
Level 8
It's a two slot card and you have space for three slot cards with your motherboard anyhow. And yes, an 850W PSU should be able to handle two of them with an overclock without a significant voltage increase (at that point, expect around 320W for the card driving the display(s) and a little less for the other). If you start bumping up the voltage, though, that may push the power up to the maximum the PSU can handle.

Thanks Skunk, that was helpful information on my motherboard. I wanted to make sure I could fit two of these since they say the card is 2.5 slots big. I'm going to get a 1200W PSU to ensure stability on my system.

I run a pair of 980TI's in my X99 Rampage V build, they are definitely 2.5 cards and cover up the third slot beneath them, on the RVE the two 3.0 X16 PCIe slots are the 1st & 3rd red x16 length slots (2nd & 4th red x16 length slots are x8) so I have a good 1.5 between them both running at x16, if you use the first and second (red) pci-e x16 slot on your Maximus 6 you will have a half space between them, basically your second card would be as close as if it plugged into the black pci-e 2.0 x16 length slot between the two cards in the second photo just to give you a reference.

Skunk
Level 8
I guess Asus did bump up the thickness to 2" from 1.6" on the previous Matrix cards. They would be 2.5 slot cards then, but they should still fit on a Formula board.

MarshallD3Framp
Level 7
Get a 1600W PSU, allowing for minimum strain and Overclocking freedom (Technically), yes the board can handle those two, but you need a nice big PSU to support them both and the rest of your build cleanly and smoothly

light007speed
Level 7
Get a 1000w PSU from a reliable brand. I recommend Corsair AXi series for reliable power delivery & top-notch components. Plus it will be 80+ titanium. 850w is plenty for ur system with 2 980Ti's, but if u want a 3rd, then i dunno. 1000w +, and your good for more upgrades.
I seen on Youtube that a full system with a single good GPU can pull out of the wall about 370 Watts only, but it might spike up to 400 a few seconds here n there but go back to 370'ish. For that system, 500w is good. Sure, u want over 20% on top of the recommended total power, for future upgrades, but if you don't plan on doing serious upgrades, don't over-kill it with the PSU as the efficiency curve is about on the 60% - 80% of total power used, that is where u get the most energy savings from, depending on the brand/model of the PSU.
Asus & MSi FTW (For the WiN 🙂 !!