cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G75VW graphics card swapping?

TwistedLegendMF
Level 7
Hello everyone! I am new here and I came to seek advice about my laptop.
First off, this is my first and only laptop that I've owned and I have never had any problems with it.
I love this thing, I've been using it for a few years now.
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G75VW/
That is the one I am using. Geforce GTX 670M 3GB.

I'm a light PC gamer and ever since I've got this laptop I could play any game I wanted without issue.
(most games at the highest quality)
But, unfortunately, all technology gets replaced/outdated.

Dark Souls 3 just came out not too long ago, I made a bone-headed move of just assuming my laptop met the minimum specs.
I was sorely mistaken. (I realized this after I bought the game/downloaded it/tried to play it.)
It was on steam so I'm in the process of getting a refund but anyway, back on topic.

I came here knowing that you fine people would have the answers I've been looking for.
I believe I need a new graphics card. Is it possible for me to swap out my current graphics card from the laptop model linked above with this graphics card I'm currently looking at buying:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/39228079?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227026924845&wl0...
I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and help me out. Thanks!

Edit: I know building a pc would be better/cheaper for the long run but I travel so my laptop is quite essential to me.
Edit 2: Did some more research and it looks like If I were able to change my card it would have to be a mobile/'M' card. More and more I'm realizing how detailed you have to be when doing this.
1 REPLY 1

kkn
Level 14
this is the only option for your laptop -> NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M/670M with 2GB/3GB GDDR5 VRAM
and as they are outdated i would say you cant switch it out no.

the downside whit laptops are that they cant be switched out components as easy as a desktop would be.
and laptops is more or less a 2 year life cyckle if you ask me in life time compare what a desktop is.

and the GPU you linked to is a desktop GPU that would not fit in to that laptop at all.
if you but them side by side it would be as high as the laptop it self ( thicknes vice ) .