cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair Vii Hero Wifi error code B4 (2021)

jose_aguirre1
Level 7
Hello ROG Community,

After upgrading my CPU to a Ryzen 9 5900x and updating the bios to version 4402 I get error code B4 "USB Hot Plug". I've disconnected the USB 2.0 from the motherboard and plugged it back in, reset the Cmos and removed other USB devices excluding mouse and keyboard. Usually hitting the reset button one time does the trick and boots up again and gives code 40 telling me that my computer was in a sleeping state. I have the latest updates and drivers installed. Why is this happening? I originally had a Ryzen 7 2700x and had bios version 3103 and everything was perfectly fine. Could this be due to the bios update and new CPU? I also upgraded the standard Sata data cables that came with my motherboard 6Gb per second for some individually sleeved by Corsair. Could the cables be at fault?

My PC Specs are;
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x (latest AMD chipset drivers installed)
CPU Cooler: Corsair AIO H115i Platinum 280mm
MOBO: Asus Crosshair Vii Hero Wifi
GPU: Asus Cerberus 1050ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR 3200Mhz ( Set to 3200Mhz in bios)
PSU: Corsair HX850i +80 Platinum
Samsun SSD connected to Sata 1, HD to Sata 2 and back up drive to Sata 3 ( All are working and detected in windows)
Running Windows 10 pro

Thank you!
3 REPLIES 3

RedSector73
Level 12
The cables that come with the CH8 Wi-Fi are 6Gb/s. That said, it does not matter much as this article showed
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-3Gb-s-vs-6Gb-s-Cable-Performance-Revisited-183/

You can drop back to BIOS Version 3801 would be first thing I would try.

I'd also try uninstalling Corsair Utility Engine (iCUE) and then installing the latest. (v4 if you meet the requirements or 3.38.61)
There was a single report of B4 being caused by BIOS battery and replacing it worked (not sure about this but another cheap fix if it works or could be proper executed BIOS reset works)

I've had my motherboard for twos years. Bought it back in 2019 so that's a possibility about the Cmos battery. There are instances where I will turn my PC on and it will boot like normal and other times I will get error B4. I believe the new bios update may have caused issues with my Icue software as it does not detect my AIO or PSU. The AIO is working as normal with rgb and fans spinning normally, but Icue does not detect it. I will flash the bios as a last option.