cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus AC router upgrade recommendations?

SinisterDev85
Level 11
Hi all! Been a little while since Ive started a thread on here!

So, We've been using the Asus rt-n66u "Dark Knight" router since its release and its been fantastic! However, over the last few years, our wireless needs have increased greatly and I think the ol' Dark Knight is starting to show its age and reach its limits.

Between everyone using the Internet in our home we have 2 gaming PC's, another pc my Grandmother uses for browsing and media streaming, 3 smartphones, a couple tablets, 2 smart tv's (one of them is 4k) and multiple other devices all utilizing wireless Internet connectivity.
Despite our pretty great 225mbps Internet package, wireless Internet connectivity has become very unreliable and slow. The more devices using the net simultaneously, the worse it is. So we've been thinking of buying a worthy upgrade of the AC variety to better meet our wireless needs.
I noticed that Asus has multiple new gaming routers and such now and Im not sure which would be best. As for budget, we wanna stay within the $200 range. Can't really afford anything more expensive (otherwise Id just buy that sexy AC5300) .

So, what do you all recommend?
ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | i9 14900ks | | G. Skill Trident Z5 8000 | 2x WD SN850x 4gb | Asus Strix RTX 4080 OC| Asus ROG Thor 1200w | Windows 11 Pro
2 REPLIES 2

SinisterDev85
Level 11
We also use the Internet in our garage in the back yard. Our Dark Knight used to be able to reach back there , but the signal's gotten weaker and weaker over the last year. Cant get a reliable connection at all out there now.

Im looking at the Asus AC3200 tri-band router atm. Its $215 on Amazon. Anyone have any experience with this model?
ASUS ROG Z790 Apex Encore | i9 14900ks | | G. Skill Trident Z5 8000 | 2x WD SN850x 4gb | Asus Strix RTX 4080 OC| Asus ROG Thor 1200w | Windows 11 Pro

SinisterDev85
Level 11
Hrrm. No views yet? Should I have posted this elsewhere in the forum?