cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD 9 5950X and Crosshair VI Hero (X370)

Charlie_Woken
Level 7
I currently have a Crosshair VI Hero with chip-set X370, it has the original CPU an AMD 7 1800X. I need to upgrade and would like to use an AMD 9 5950X. I have the Beta Bios 8503 currently running with the latest chip-set drivers.

Has anyone tried to install an AMD 9 5950X on a Crosshair VI Hero? Is it theoretically possible with the 8503 Bios?

Any advice would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

SmokeyKilla
Level 8
Short answer NO, a 370 chipset does not support zen 3. Even if you could get the bios to somehow work, you would end up doing catastrophic damage. You will have to upgrade your board to something like a ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero. If you are using your rig for gaming, personally I would go for a Ryzen 5 5600x its less than half the price of a AMD 9 5950X and only 5-8% less FPS and the 5600x uses only half the power 65w vs 105w.

SmokeyKilla wrote:
Short answer NO, a 370 chipset does not support zen 3. Even if you could get the bios to somehow work, you would end up doing catastrophic damage. You will have to upgrade your board to something like a ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero. If you are using your rig for gaming, personally I would go for a Ryzen 5 5600x its less than half the price of a AMD 9 5950X and only 5-8% less FPS and the 5600x uses only half the power 65w vs 105w.

I did some research and found this posting form PCworld "5 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade To Ryzen 5000 On An X370 Or B350 Motherboard"
So what kind catastrophic damage are you speaking of when you say the 370 does not support Zen3?
Link to article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKUL3IUFNKw

I should have looked deeper into this forum on the last entry of page 276 (#2759) a report is given saying it works. The thread is: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91766-Crosshair-VI-Hero-UEFI-build-update-thread/page276

Charlie Woken wrote:
I did some research and found this posting form PCworld "5 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade To Ryzen 5000 On An X370 Or B350 Motherboard"
So what kind catastrophic damage are you speaking of when you say the 370 does not support Zen3?
Link to article:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKUL3IUFNKw

More than likely you would blow the VRMs out, I don't understand why you would want to put a $750 CPU on a $90 budget MB

SmokeyKilla wrote:
More than likely you would blow the VRMs out, I don't understand why you would want to put a $750 CPU on a $90 budget MB

Not everything is about gaming, your advice seems to be tilted in that direction. I have two of these computers and they are using Windows 10 Enterprise. This version is necessary for the ReFS file systems used in parts of this computer. I also need as many virtual machines as I can fit so the value of the 9 5950X is the number of cores that can be used at the same time to run the V machines, the additional speed is nice but not necessary.
Why: I have the C6H with an EK water block that cools the VRM. It also has 64GB of Samsung B die 3200 RAM, GTX 1080 -- a water-cooled graphics card (MSI) and Nvme (Samsung 980 1TB) and maxed out SATA solid state drives five 1TB drives, all ports used and a EVGA 1600W Titanium power supply (over kill, but the fan never has to run). The computer supports infrastructure and there are two of them. If it wasn't for the fact that Windows 10 security support will be removed in a couple of years, I would just keep it as it is. The simple reason is Windows 11 not supporting the first version of CPU used on the AM4 socket. If this board doesn't work with the CPU for what it is set up to do I will find a newer board that will accept the EK cooler (or not). I want to get Windows 11 running as cheaply as possible, and save a lot of expensive hardware. At the moment this is the simplest and most economical way for me to offset the coming security problem. I purchased the 9 5950X for $508 and the cost of the original 7 1800X was just about that cost. These computers are not used for gaming. When the first one was built gaming was considered, but the computer and needs evolved and the the choise was made to keep things simple by duplicating -- like a CPU upgrade (LOL).
So, regarding this post I agree with you, but your first post was misleading information. I was looking for facts. If the VRMs are cooled and the comparable wattage used is very close to the original 90W vs. 105W needed for the new CPU. I BELIEVE (not fact) that the new CPU will service my needs (and be supported by the VRM) and in fact provide better service by providing more VM drives.
If I had 8GB RAM, 250GB Nvme drive and a cheap GPU I would consider building a completely new computer
I should have everything running again by the end of May and will post the results.
Additional comment added (PS)
My LAN has runs on a 10GB optical fiber network connecting about a dozen computers on the optical network and another dozen working on Wi-Fi (mostly laptops). One of the computers is a MinusForum AMD 4800U a small rectangle that blows the sox off the C6H and runs on about an order of magnitude less power, but the C6H has a 10GB network card and the small MF 4800U only has 2.5GB built in. The next new computer to be added will be WRX80 because of the need for a lot more lanes. I am adding this to give you perspective on the needs I have and where the CH6 fits in. I have a lot of computers but they vary depending on where they are and who is using them. The incomplete list does not include pi computers

So the only reason your changing your system is because of windows 10 security support, why not just use a 3rd party software?
You do realise that your ram , GPU and NVme will all work on the latest MBs?

world
Hey Charlie,

The official AMD stance for a long time was that 300 series motherboards would not support zen3. However, it looks like as of March of this year, AMD announced official support of 5000 series CPUs on 300 series motherboards

https://www.amd.com/en/press-releases/2022-03-15-amd-launches-the-ultimate-gaming-processor-brings-e...

In addition to these exciting new processor releases, AMD announced it is extending support for Ryzen 5000 Series processors on AMD 300 Series chipsets, including all the new desktop processors announced today. The latest AMD Ryzen 5000 Series processors will be supported on AMD X370, B350 and A320 chipsets, offering a seamless upgrade path to “Zen 3” performance. Selective BETA BIOS updates are expected to become available in April.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

AMD decided to extend 300 series chipset support to 5000 series CPUs earlier this year, although their stance before this point was that it was not supported.

You will need to check with the support whether a UEFI has been released to accommodate.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090