cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost fresh rig - New upgrade

Hellfire1
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

New member over here (as I plan on getting a ROG board I figured I'd join and ask advice on here)

I currently have an aging rig, she's perfectly capable now and I like to keep on top of things. The new rig will encompass a lot of the bones of the rig with key upgrades

Current Rig

Processor: AMD Phenom II x 6 1055T (OC to 3.3Ghz)
Motherboard: Asus M4A78GTD Pro / USB 3 (AMD 890GX)
Cooling: 1x 200mm, 5x 120mm & Corsair Hydro Series H50 V2 water cooling with dual push/pull @ 4500rpm
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz (4x2GB) OC 1800
Video Card(s): ATI Radeon HD7970 Vapor X (1100/1500)
Hard Disk(s): Samsung 840 Pro SSD (OS) & 2 x 2TB WD Caviar Black (SATA III)
Optical Drive: Samsung (SH-S223L) DVD /- RW 22x
LCD/CRT Model: 2x Samsung S24B300 @ 1920*1080 + 1 Samsung LE40B550 40inch @ 1920*1080
Case: Antec 1200
Sound Card: Onboard
Power Supply: XFX Pro Series 850W Black Edition PSU
Software: Win 7 64bit

Parts I plan on upgrading to are as follows:

Processor: Intel 4790k Obviously this isn't released yet and upgrade will be around release time
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER From everything I have read this is an amazingly solid board for the price.
Cooling: Corsair H100i I need a new CPU cooler as my previous CPU is going to my Sons (first rig) so easier for me to upgrade)
Case: Corsair 750D As the Corsair H100i has some problems with the H100i fitting perfectly and I need a new case anyway I figured I would upgrade mine.

I am pleased with what I have worked out but I would love your opinions on any potential issues I may receive.

I plan to P/P the H100i and have it mounted on the top of the case. I would also love some recommendations for fans to use to mount on the extra bottom and the top of the case for the P/P (hi speed as I do not worry about noise to much)
19 REPLIES 19

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Hellfire.

The parts you picked out are okay. You're good to go. Not sure about P/P on the 750D. Will let someone else chip in since I do not own that case.

Antronman
Level 10
Totally worth it. You picked out good parts, but if you live in NA, then I don't believe the Ranger is available.

750D is a good case. Lots of expansion, and it doesn't look bad either.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I have no clue about the clearance room if you fit the H100i up top, but you can mount the rad elsewhere in the case. Or, you can grab yourself an NZXT Switch 810 case, it has 90mm room up top that you can do a proper P/P config. The rad of the H100i is 27 mm thick, leaving you 63mm of room to squeeze in 4 25mm thick fans and still have 13mm of room left. You could also use an H110 with the Switch 810, it's 29mm thick(Rad) and will leave you with 11mm of room when filled with 4 fans for a P/P config

Hellfire1
Level 7
Thank you so much guys.

I am UK based so the Ranger is available to me (yipee)

Myk, I will check out the NZXT 810. Thank you for the suggestion.

Reports on the 750D looks like it has clearance and others have done a P/P on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

Hellfire wrote:
Thank you so much guys.

I am UK based so the Ranger is available to me (yipee)

Myk, I will check out the NZXT 810. Thank you for the suggestion.

Reports on the 750D looks like it has clearance and others have done a P/P on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far

No worries at all, happy to help out 😄

kkn
Level 14
with a H100i instaled in push or pull -> http://cdn.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/DSC_1800.jpg

not shure what cooler this is -> http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=13405&d=1383423628
but that have push/pull and a maximus 5 formula board in it.

Hellfire1
Level 7
Thanks for the suggestion but the NXZT 820 pushes me slightly over budget (£150 for a case)

Although both the HAF 932 and X have caught my eye (which is bigger?)

ETA: Scratch that, hardly any top clearance, I think the 750 is the winner, looks like a roomy case ( I can't find one roomier for the same price )

Just need to buy some LED lighting for it...... *ponders*

Hellfire1
Level 7
Hmmm just wondering if I could experience any issues with my RAM on this build?

I want to upgrade it eventually anyway but not just yet.

Hellfire wrote:
Hmmm just wondering if I could experience any issues with my RAM on this build?

I want to upgrade it eventually anyway but not just yet.

just dont mix ram kits and your will be fine.