cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on First Build

4Strings
Level 10
The Time Has Come!

I've managed to finally save up enough to finally build a real PC.
I'm probably going to start ordering parts this week, so I was wondering what you guys think of my build, and if you have any suggestions.

My build will be:

HARDWARE:

Case: SilverStone Fortress FT02-W-USB3.0 (Yes, I know it's an old-ish case, but I love the rotated motherboard! And the fact that it opens on the right side of the case and not the left, which is perfect for how my computer sits next to my desk. 🙂 )

CPU: AMD FX-8350

Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z (Of course :P)

PSU: Corsair AX760i

GPU: My XFX HD7950 will be immigrating to the new build.

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8) @ 1866 MHz

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB

CPU Cooler: I'm thinking of a Corsair H80i (But I've also heard that the Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme out-performs the H80, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.)

Fans: Two Noctua NF-F12's for the CPU cooler (I'll keep the three 180mm fans at the bottom of the case.)

Optical Drive: Asus Internal 24X DVD Burner (Does anyone know if it's worth it to buy a slim DVD drive and the SilverStone slim bay w/ 4 SSD slots???)

OS: Windows 8 Pro (I have a $15 coupon for Win8 since I bought a Win7 HP laptop last June)

ACCESSORIES:

Monitor: My ViewSonic 22 inch 1080p monitor 🙂

Mouse: I'm thinking of buying a G9X... Probably once I re-fill my coffers a bit 😛

Keyboard: I really have no idea what to buy there... I want mechanical... And I think Black Switches are the most suited to my taste... But I'm not sure at all... So I'll stick to my Logitech Internet 350 for now... 🙂
39 REPLIES 39

Chino
Level 15
The advantage of using a closed water loop is that you don't have to worry about RAM clearance. The SA/SB-E is a rather large heatsink. I'm not sure you'll be able to use the Dominator Platinums with it. Maybe you could if you took the heatsinks of the RAM. Also it might block the interfere with the first PCIe slot. My advice to you is to google around the net and look into these issues.

Just wondering, how much is the FT02 going to cost you? I think the Raven 03 is way cheaper than the FT02 but if you've fallen in love with the case, then there's no use in recommending other cases.

As for the rest of your build, it's looking pretty good.

@Chino
Thanks for the input!
I found an FT02 for $240 with free shipping from NCIX... 🙂
Yeah, I looked at the Ravens, but the RV03 is open on the left side of the case (like most cases), and the RV02 (which is the only one that opens on the right other than the FT02 an the TJ11 [which costs, like $600]) looks to much like my Alienware case for my taste... But like you said, when you fall in love with a case, there's nothing you can do... 🙂

I'll look for reviews of the Silver Arrow and then decide, I guess... 🙂

Bushwacker
Level 9
You could have a look at the Corsair Vengeance K60 enthusiast-grade FPS gaming keyboard or K90 enthusiast-grade gaming keyboard designed for MMO and RTS gameplay. I use the K60 and really like it.
Case: MountainMods Ascension Duality
PSU: Silverstone Strider 1K
MOBO: Maximus V Formula
CPU: i7 3770K
RAM: 32GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz
Video: 2 X EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classified
Audio: ROG Xonar Phoebus
Storage 1: OS OCZ REVODRIVE 3 X2 PCI-EXPRESS SSD 240GB
Storage 2: Games OCZ REVODRIVE 3 PCI-EXPRESS SSD 480GB
Storage 3: Data WD Velociraptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB
Cooling: Mix of EK and Swiftech

@Bushwacker
Thanks! I'll take a look at those!

Area_66
Level 11
With a FX-8350 I will not go lower than a H 100i as cooler, this is a 125 watts CPU . Now as to fit a dual rad in the FT02, it's another thing, you may have to choose another case. I say may because I don't look seriously if the rad fit. But for sure it may be hard to install a push pull configuration

4Strings
Level 10
@66
I know that the ideal cooler is an H100i, but I really like the FT02 (and can't afford a TJ11)...

Are there any other coolers that make sense in an FT02 for an 8350???

chrsplmr
Level 18
Here, here Man .. you have done your HomeWork .. have at her bro .. cudos.c.

kkn
Level 14
the H80 and H100 is "close" to same performance on the cooling.
the H80 is push/pull fan on it when you buy it.
if you have it in your budget think about the H80i, it have software you can monitor your temp ( i think ) and speed of fans, and you can set up profiles.

chrsplmr wrote:
Here, here Man .. you have done your HomeWork .. have at her bro .. cudos.c.

@Chris
Thanks Man! That means a lot! 🙂

kkn wrote:
the H80 and H100 is "close" to same performance on the cooling.
the H80 is push/pull fan on it when you buy it.
if you have it in your budget think about the H80i, it have software you can monitor your temp ( i think ) and speed of fans, and you can set up profiles.

@kkn
Thanks!
Yeah, I know that the H80 is a push/pull, and I think it will fit in the FT02 (I saw pics of FT02s with H80s on Goolge 😛 )...
I actually was looking at the H80i anyway... Probably forgot the "i" in my first post... :S

So the H80i will cool an 8350 just as well as an H100? If so, then I'll probably go with the H80i since there's all the problem of RAM clearance with an air cooler. 🙂