cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a new computer build,need lots of advice

Mr__X
Level 7
hi there..firstly i don't know much about computer building and this is my second build(first got screwed up due to a shop vendor and msi...)
what i have:
graphic card:msi nvidia gtx 610 2gb
hdd:1tb 5400 rpm wd
dvd writer:lg(don't know the specs and i don't want an upgrade in this)
monitor:aoc lm925 48cm(19”) TFT Color LCD Monitor
keyboard and mouse:logitech wireless k220 combo

what i am planning to buy
psu:seasonic 750 km3
case: phantom 530
processor:intel 4790k(little confused between 4770k and 4790k for some inbuilt instructions in 4770k which are absent in 4770k)
motherboard:asus maximus VII formula
ram:g skill 8gbripjaws x 1600mhz ( 8x1gb )
oc:yes i will do but after the warranty is over.need to use this for about 5 years i guess...

also i have some doubts(pardon me if they are riduculous)
1.dual channel won't work as i am using single ram
2.i have seen the compatibilty memory list and psu list for the motheboard both are not mentioned in the list will they work properly.
3.shall i wait for 5th generation haswell processor that would require ddr4 ram ...i guess then i need to wait a year..

all replies are appreciated and thanks for reading the above...
23 REPLIES 23

kkn wrote:
ram that is rated to 2400mhz can be used at 1600mhz.
it is made to run at 2400mhz max at stated voltage.
and yes you can oc 2400mhz ram higher but that will only make it hotter and it needs more voltage and you can end up damage the ram.
cpu. if you are lucky to get a good quality one you can oc it past 5ghz whit no problem
if you are unlucky it will not go past 4.2ghz.
so all in all it depends on how lucky you get when buying a cpu if its good or not.

so basically a higher frequency module can run on low frequency when xmp profile is set ...but will it damage the ram if i use it this way?...

kkn
Level 14
you can run the 2400mhz ram from 2400 and down to 1333mhz if you want that.

kkn wrote:
you can run the 2400mhz ram from 2400 and down to 1333mhz if you want that.

thanks buddy...

HappyBuddhaman
Level 7
If you're not going to OC for 5 years, don't waste your money on a K series processor. 5 years from now, with the way tech advances, everything you (and all of us) have, will be outdated. IMO.

HappyBuddhaman wrote:
If you're not going to OC for 5 years, don't waste your money on a K series processor. 5 years from now, with the way tech advances, everything you (and all of us) have, will be outdated. IMO.

this also means i will not be able to update for 5 years too...

Mr..X wrote:
this also means i will not be able to update for 5 years too...

Hi X the 4790k can run turbo@4.4 mhz. You can play at turbo and oc at your leisure

and the next gen intel chip Broadwell will also fit your m7f motherboard

so you will be set for awhile

01 Wolverine wrote:
Hi X the 4790k can run turbo@4.4 mhz. You can play at turbo and oc at your leisure

and the next gen intel chip Broadwell will also fit your m7f motherboard

so you will be set for awhile

i know that buddy,but ddr4 will start from 2015,then i think we will be way back.maybe i will tweak say sooner but after a year as i need a better impression to my near and dear one's that this build is good enough and there is no hardware issue not taken care of in this build as last build was terrifying...

Mr__X
Level 7
i was wondering about if i use sdp:1.5v and tested voltage:1.6v 2133mhz ripjaws x F3-2133C9D-16GXH
on my computer build will it heat as somewhere i read that the 1.65v tend to heat and cause instability...

kkn
Level 14
if you drop voltage you will get unstable too. if you have fans in the roof have it as intake.
that way the air will help cool down the heatsink on them.

kkn wrote:
if you drop voltage you will get unstable too. if you have fans in the roof have it as intake.
that way the air will help cool down the heatsink on them.

actually i was thinking that to have two intake on the right of case and two exhaust at the top and one intake in front...all fans of 120mm or 140mm as per the size i read,i am pretty sure that it was one the size i mentioned....this is because of science logic hot air goes up while cool goes down...
so if i put a 1.6v on a 1.5 rated motherboard and use xmp profile with the module ,then the module will drop to 1.5v or stay on 1.6 volt
if on 1.5 ,will that damage the cpu and mobo?
if on 1.6 would it not heat up and cause unstability
basically i should buy 1.5v?
thanks for the reply...