cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4X16 or 8X8 RAM for 64GB.?

dantescrak05
Level 7
best regard.

I am assembling my pc and I am in the part of buying Ram memories, I want to mount a block of 64GB in total, then I get a question and it is whether to choose a kit of 4X16 or 8X8?

I would like to know which of the two kits would be more stable for my configuration? which is a X99-PRO / USB 3.1 motherboard and an Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition CPU

The memories that I intend to buy are the F4-3200C14Q-64GTZSW (4X16) and the F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZSW (8X8)

(4X16) https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q-64gtzsw

(8X8) https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q2-64gtzsw

I hope you can help me!!
14 REPLIES 14

jpmboy wrote:
this somewhat depends on the MB you are using. That 8x8GB G.Skill kit is running on my R5E10/6950X rig at 3400c13-14-13-29-2T @ 1.45V - has been at that speed and timings since the platform launched. 1T would not hold stable to GSAT. 4x16GB gives you room to expand, but in general, high density, DS ram is more difficult to tune and , at least in my hands, never OCs (or lowers timings) as well as 8GB SS sticks. That same kit ran 3200c12-12-12 on my R5E/5960X.

Then I recommend buying the 8x8 kit?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
This is a good summary https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Sure there is always someone who gets lucky and ends up with a CPU with a memory controller built like a brick out house...but that is not a gamble I'd make myself

dantescrak05 wrote:
Then I recommend buying the 8x8 kit?

I would recommend that, yes.

However I would ask if you have tested the 5960X with some RAM of that frequency before.

There are quite a few Haswell E CPUs that have less than spectacular memory controllers.

The more RAM you add and the higher frequency the more difficulty you might face in getting it to run at reasonable voltage.
3200MHz is in fact overclocking the RAM. 2133 is the guaranteed frequency...

64GB you might be better off looking at 2400MHz for stability...

Maybe buy from somewhere with an easy return policy just in case 64GB 3200 doesn't pan out.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
This is a good summary https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Sure there is always someone who gets lucky and ends up with a CPU with a memory controller built like a brick out house...but that is not a gamble I'd make myself

I would recommend that, yes.

However I would ask if you have tested the 5960X with some RAM of that frequency before.

There are quite a few Haswell E CPUs that have less than spectacular memory controllers.

The more RAM you add and the higher frequency the more difficulty you might face in getting it to run at reasonable voltage.
3200MHz is in fact overclocking the RAM. 2133 is the guaranteed frequency...

64GB you might be better off looking at 2400MHz for stability...

Maybe buy from somewhere with an easy return policy just in case 64GB 3200 doesn't pan out.

same in case the XMP profile does not work for me in 3200mhz you could manually set the parameters in another lower frequency, I can assure you the support of G-Skill, because if I buy a kit 2133- 2400 - 2666, I could not upload Frequently when installing a more modern CPU.

in the future I would like to upload to 128Gb without discarding this kit, but if you tell me you do not think it is possible to join two identical kits, I would discard this option I have to go for the 8X8.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah that is true...you can always downclock.

Unfortunately yes, if you upgrade to 128GB you would be better buy a new quad channel 128GB kit. and sell the 64GB kit...this is where buying a good quality G.Skill kit pays off...the resale value is good.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yeah that is true...you can always downclock.

Unfortunately yes, if you upgrade to 128GB you would be better buy a new quad channel 128GB kit. and sell the 64GB kit...this is where buying a good quality G.Skill kit pays off...the resale value is good.

Ok then I will go for the 8X8, since the only advantage I saw in the 4x16 was that maybe I could expand to 128gb in the future, but discarding that idea would be better option for performance OC 8X8.

thank you very much to all for helping me!