cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 x 8 GB RAM For Asus Crosshair V Formula?

Chef
Level 7
As the title states. Does anyone know if there are any 2 x 8GB sets of ram that work with my board? I've searched the QVL and the only 16gb sets it lists are 4 x 4 GB. I'd rather not load up my DIMM slots.

Currently running Ares F3-2133C11D-8GAO ... I just bought another 8gb of this stuff (last time I bought it was 2 years ago) to total 16gb but one of the sticks they sent me is defective.

Edit: Hivizman I know you've got something up your sleeve. You're the one that recommended the ARES ram i've been using in the first place.
MOBO > Asus Crosshair V Formula Bios Ver. 1102
CPU & Cooler > Coolermaster V8
MEMORY > G.Skill Ares 8GB
POWER SUPPLY > Corsair AX850
VIDEO CARD > Powercolor AX6850 x2
HDDs > 1 WD Caviar Black 1tb, 1 Corsair F60 SSD
BURNERS > Multi Asmedia port
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Misc.
O/S > Win 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit Build 7601
7 REPLIES 7

kkn
Level 14
diffrent ram = not work well together.

Chef
Level 7
Yes, I know.
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Misc.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate - if you have bought the ram simply pop it in and see how it goes.

The best bet will be to manually set it up of course as with two sticks from quite different batches you are unlikely to get lucky and have the XMP profiles just work.

Let me know and we will work something out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello mate - if you have bought the ram simply pop it in and see how it goes.

The best bet will be to manually set it up of course as with two sticks from quite different batches you are unlikely to get lucky and have the XMP profiles just work.

Let me know and we will work something out.

I'm sending back the ram I bought. One of the sticks was defective and I got tired of the BSoD's. Any chance this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231558 would work for me? I know it's a long shot. But like I said there are no 2x8 GB sets listen in my MB's QVL.
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Misc.

TenBlade
Level 11
Motherboard QVLs are not likely all inclusive. They simply cannot afford the time to try out every single set of sticks from every manufacturer out there.
Try and go the other way around. Find the top three RAM brands you trust, find the sets you would like, and look at their lists of compatible boards.
Here´s the list of compatible sockets http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1600c10d-16gao

G.Skill has a configurator, try and look up your socket and have a snoop around http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=29&chip=0&model=0.

May I ask why you don´t want all four slots loaded?

HiVizMan
Level 40
They will work just fine.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Early yesterday I had a surprisingly long talk with an ASUS rep on the phone. Those folks are very good and I never felt like I was being rushed. Along the lines of the discussion about memory ... I was encouraged to call the technical support group of the manufacturer of the memory I was interested in and ask them specifically what they recommended for a particular board. That advice seems golden to me. As further explained ... the motherboard manufacturers send sample boards to the memory manufacturers who do the testing. Thus you are going directly to the "source" where raw testing data resides. Also, there are some rare problems that can be very technical (and that I don't understand) that can be avoided. Electronic harmonics, signal reflection, and a host of other stuff is way out of my league. If a phone call is impractical ... the previous advice to go to the manufacturer's web site is excellent. Also, advice from those with tons of experience is all good too. Just thought I'd pass along the phone call method advice I received ... best of luck.