cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16GB vs 32GB Gaming rig.

Greenfeuer
Level 8
I am consindering if 16GB is enough or if I should go with 32GB - 2666Mhz or 3000Mhz.

The price difference is quite big, and could be used on more prominent upgrades. But I like to hear you guys
thoughs 🙂

Take into mind I will probably only use this rig for gaming.

My new gaming rig plans. Buying from a custom store, so
not all options are avaliable.

CPU
Intel i7-5930K, 6 x 3.50GHz

CPU Cooler
Asetek 570LX - Custom

PSU
Corsair Professional Platinum AX1200i or AX1500i.

GPU (Atm choice)
2 x (SLI) ASUS STRIX III 980 ti

Case
NZXT Phantom 820 Full tower - Black

RAM (Not sorted out but originally)
Kingston HyperX Predator 3000Mhz - Or Ripjaws 2666Mhz. "3000Mhz out of stock"

Systemdisk / SSD:

Samsung 1TB SSD 850 EVO

HHD/Storage:
Seagate Barracuda 2000GB 7200 RPM

DVD/Blueray:
ASUS Blu-Ray.

Motherboard:
ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme

System:
Windows
Forward Edit #1
5 Replies Related Threads
24 REPLIES 24

The difference between a 3000Mhz 32GB kit and a 2400 is about 10 euro's. So I think I go with a 3000Mhz 🙂 - If I go 32GB.

http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Kingston-HyperX-Pred-DDR4-3000-QC-16GB-2458348.htmlhttp://www.proshop.dk/R...

Wierd the prices are all messed up 😕 There is som detail I am missing.

Greenfeuer wrote:
The difference between a 3000Mhz 32GB kit and a 2400 is about 10 euro's. So I think I go with a 3000Mhz 🙂 - If I go 32GB.

http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Kingston-HyperX-Pred-DDR4-3000-QC-16GB-2458348.htmlhttp://www.proshop.dk/R...

Wierd the prices are all messed up 😕 There is som detail I am missing.
Had to chime in here,Like the gurus said...stick to same memory and no mixing and matching kits,and I am an avid gamer myself and went with Ripjaws 16 gigs....dude(waiting to invest in 32 gig Corsair Dominator kit when prices come down),that is all you really need for gaming unless you are going 3 or 4way Sli.I would save my euros for other hardware goodies and a round of Guiness for all your mates!!!

1sthurricane wrote:
Had to chime in here,Like the gurus said...stick to same memory and no mixing and matching kits,and I am an avid gamer myself and went with Ripjaws 16 gigs....dude(waiting to invest in 32 gig Corsair Dominator kit when prices come down),that is all you really need for gaming unless you are going 3 or 4way Sli.I would save my euros for other hardware goodies and a round of Guiness for all your mates!!!

Thing is I may go Three way or Quad Sli somday. But if 32GB benefit not even to that course then I won't spend money on it.

Stil haven't found out of 32GB actually provide somsort of + towards three way or quad sli yet tho :S

1sthurricane
Level 7
Been a Corsair PSU guy for yars and yars,but I picked up the EVGA Supernova p1200....love it for running two 980's in SLI.I think you will be pleased with the 5930,very sweet build!And I am so jealous that you will have the ti's....sweet!

Korth
Level 14
Ripjaws is also available in 3000 (or faster) speeds, with slightly better timings than the HyperX.

4x4GB is plenty for gaming and generally better for overclocking. Your system would rarely even use 32GB unless you do tons of complex multitasking or use RAMDisk software. Any DDR4 you buy today will be inferior to DDR4 in coming years, if on a budget then 16GB of fast DDR or 32GB of not-so-fast DDR4 should serve you well for a few years, spend your money on other components.

NVidia lists large amounts of RAM as system requirements for Titan X cards - 24GB for one, 48GB for two - although many people report using these cards with "only" 16GB of RAM installed.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?62289-AX1200i-vs-AX1500i/page2 - Nate explains here aswell that 16GB are more than enough fora gaming only purpose 🙂

Aswell the fact that Nivida/Geforce later changed the requirements down to only 16GB or less 🙂

1sthurricane: Thanks! And I am looking forward too it too! Atm I am just adjusting the last few things 🙂

Greenfeuer wrote:
1sthurricane: Thanks! And I am looking forward too it too! Atm I am just adjusting the last few things 🙂
Just make sure to give us some pics of your new beastie,and please let me know how the 980ti's perform. I know we each have our own preferences concerning hardware but I would take a peek at the Evga PSU's.EDIT:not my intention of derailing your thread when the topic is clearly about memory.

1sthurricane wrote:
Just make sure to give us some pics of your new beastie,and please let me know how the 980ti's perform. I know we each have our own preferences concerning hardware but I would take a peek at the Evga PSU's.EDIT:not my intention of derailing your thread when the topic is clearly about memory.

I will try remember it and thanks! I rather stick to corsair but EVGA is cool too. Atleast for this build 🙂
They don't got EVGA products at the custom shop, even tho I like EVGA.

01 Wolverine: The amount of overclocking I will do will really depend on my warranti and such.
So I can't depend too much on it.

Greenfeuer
Level 8
Ripjaws 4 3000 Mhz ain't sold in Scandinavia atm, apperently the market is going bad for them there :S
I may get Ripjaws 4 2666Mhz home, but its not confirmed yet if they have been take out of stock too.

So I take the next best option 🙂 - Kingston HyperX Predator 3000Mhz beats 2666Mhz Ripjaws 4 so yeah.