cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16 pin connector query

F1Aussie
Level 11
Hi all, I am going to pull the trigger on a 4090 soon and I have the rog thor 1200 P2 PSU coming. It is meant to have a 16 pin 600w cable in it but the other end of it is 2 X 8 pin connectors. I am of the understanding that 2 X 8 pin would only pipe 300w to the GPU at 150w per cable. How is this cable then able to provide up to 600w? Cheers
2 REPLIES 2

Jnanislore
Level 9
There appears to be a problem with the GPU, might want to wait until this is fixed, or investigate further. I can't even believe that thing uses 600w of power. That's a truly badass video card: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/now-the-geforce-rtx-4090-power-connectors-are-starting-to-me...

I only use Radeon cards so I can't help you, but it would appear you need a new enough power supply that would support the card for it to pipe 600w to it, and that's just to supply the card, so you'd need the rest to support everything else on your system.

If it melts, they said they're replacing them, so your call. You also didn't explain in great detail the card you were going to use, so I hope I got it right, and I hope this makes you better informed.

Good luck.

Jnanislore wrote:
There appears to be a problem with the GPU, might want to wait until this is fixed, or investigate further. I can't even believe that thing uses 600w of power. That's a truly badass video card: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/now-the-geforce-rtx-4090-power-connectors-are-starting-to-me...

I only use Radeon cards so I can't help you, but it would appear you need a new enough power supply that would support the card for it to pipe 600w to it, and that's just to supply the card, so you'd need the rest to support everything else on your system.

If it melts, they said they're replacing them, so your call. You also didn't explain in great detail the card you were going to use, so I hope I got it right, and I hope this makes you better informed.

Good luck.

I don't think the gpu is the issue but the poor quality adapters nvidia provide. The psu I have ordered has more than enough power. I am looking at the strix 4090.