cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video out doesn't work from USB-C port on Ally

GoldenRetroGame
Level 8

No matter what I do, I can't get video output to work from the USB-C port. The display on the Ally turns off, like it detects another display, but then no signal is passed to the monitor. I've tried multiple docks and displays. The same docks and displays work with other devices like the Steam Deck, Ayaneo 2 and multiple laptops.

I uploaded all the latest drivers before trying the video out, so I don't know if a driver update broke it. The display driver version is 22.40.58.03.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

GoldenRetroGame
Level 8

It seems my unit was defective. I got a new Ally today and the video out works fine.

View solution in original post

I ended up returning my second Ally, as it really is a mess at the moment. With that said, I figured out how to fix the display issue.

The problem seems to be caused by one of the software updates that come through Armoury Crate. The update changes the default behaviour of Windows' multi display mode. Thankfully, pressing the back right macro button + X will bring up the multi-display options in Windows. To fix the problem, do the following:

• Go to the Windows disktop
  • Make sure the controller is set to desktop mode
  • Connect your second display
  • Once the screen on the Ally turn black, press the right macro button + X
  • Press down on the d-pad 2 times and press A
  • If the screen doesn't come on, keep repeating the previous two steps until it does

Once the screen comes back, it might not be in the mode you want (eg. extend vs mirror). Just use your display settings or press right macro + X to select the desired mode.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

FreeBetaTester
Level 9

I am using this el cheapo dock from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09XBCG119/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and it is working for me for video output, as well as all the other  functions. The problem is while I got it for $9 a little over 6 months ago it has now doubled up to $18.

GoldenRetroGame
Level 8

It seems my unit was defective. I got a new Ally today and the video out works fine.

GoldenRetroGame
Level 8

The video out issue started on my new Ally. this must be a software issue, but I have no idea what's causing it.

Level 7

My system was also working fine, upgraded the drive, reloaded OS, ran the update and after the latest update display out stopped working.

I ended up returning my second Ally, as it really is a mess at the moment. With that said, I figured out how to fix the display issue.

The problem seems to be caused by one of the software updates that come through Armoury Crate. The update changes the default behaviour of Windows' multi display mode. Thankfully, pressing the back right macro button + X will bring up the multi-display options in Windows. To fix the problem, do the following:

• Go to the Windows disktop
  • Make sure the controller is set to desktop mode
  • Connect your second display
  • Once the screen on the Ally turn black, press the right macro button + X
  • Press down on the d-pad 2 times and press A
  • If the screen doesn't come on, keep repeating the previous two steps until it does

Once the screen comes back, it might not be in the mode you want (eg. extend vs mirror). Just use your display settings or press right macro + X to select the desired mode.

You are a god sir! I tried playing black desert on full screen and it did the very same thing. Thought it broke something but this fix it!

I am finding that intermittently or perhaps I haven't tried controlling all the factors, that sometimes after the usb-c port video out thru a dock/dongle would work the first time, but then when you disconnect the monitor and/or TV and when you try to connect back later you would get no picture. Rebooting the Ally will get the thing to work again. This smells very much like either Windows or AMD driver issue or bug.

I am weeping tears of joy!! Thank you so much for figuring this out!!

subhanali4322
Level 7

In an age of digital connectivity and on-demand content consumption, HD Streamz Entertainment emerges as a versatile and user-friendly platform that caters to the insatiable appetite of audiences for diverse and high-quality entertainment. Offering a vast array of streaming options, HD Streamz Entertainment has quickly become a go-to destination for those seeking a rich and immersive entertainment experience.