cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Ally will not detect another Display

TwistytheGr8
Level 8

I just started using my Ally again after a few months, as I had to send in my PCs motherboard for repairs. But no matter what I try, I cannot get the Ally to even detect a second monitor no matter what I try.

First I tried using the official ASUS ROG Ally dock (the one that plugs directly into the wall), and nothing was being detected. I tried multiple HDMI cables that I had been using for other devices in my home, and nothing. I even tried multiple monitors. So I updated EVERYTHING and tried again. Nothing.

So I figured it's been a while since I used the Ally, might as well re-install windows. So I did that, and updated everything. Still, no displays are being detected. Next I bought a new docking station thinking maybe the ROG Dock was bad.

On this new docking station, every single USB port works, the Ethernet port works, headphone jack works, but still, my Ally won't even detect any other display. My motherboard will be gone for possibly 3 weeks. Please help if anyone can.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TwistytheGr8
Level 8

I FOUND THE PROBLEM.

One of the USB-C cables I was using did not support video transfer. A Chromebook I had detected that was the problem. I will try to illustrate it below for anyone it may help. My setup is below.

RogAlly-----UsbC------UsbCDock------HDMI------Monitor

In my situation, the USBC CABLE that I mindlessly grabbed did not support the transfer of video. Swapping out this cable for a better one, resolved all my problems.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @TwistytheGr8 ,

I would like to confirm with you whether you have updated the BIOS to the latest version 336 and are using the ASUS-validated display driver for the AMD graphics card with driver version V31.0.22023.6003.

Additionally, have you tested using ALLY to directly connect to the monitor or tried using a different monitor for testing? Could you please share the brand and model of your monitor for further verification? Thank you.

my ally is having similar issues i have it connected to   a Jsaux docking station model HB1201

everything was working fine and all of sudden it stopped showing display on my monitor my keyboard and mouse still work ,it even works if i connect it with a HDMI but on the dislpay port 1.4wont work my monitor doesnt detect it anymore

Ive downloaded the driver in the link you provided still nothing

the monitor im using is a lg ultragear 1440p 144hz 

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @erickbb5 ,

Thank you for providing the information. I would like to inquire further to better understand the situation. 
Could you confirm if connecting the LG Ultragear directly to ALLY via USB-C results in a normal display? Based on your description, if ALLY is connected to Jsaux HB1201 via USB-C to USB-C, and LG Ultragear is connected through HDMI, it displays correctly. However, if connected through the display port, there is no display. 
Could you please share which devices are connected to Jsaux HB1201? Have you tried connecting Jsaux HB1201 to other computers/devices to test if it displays LG Ultragear through the display port correctly? Thank you for your cooperation.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @erickbb5 ,

I would like to confirm with you whether the issue of not displaying when connecting the screen via DP occurred after updating the AMD graphics card driver version to V31.0.22023.6003. 
According to your description, I would like to clarify your connection method. Is it correct that connecting the monitor through the HDMI port of the Jsaux dock results in a normal display, while connecting via DP on the same dock does not display anything ? 
Have you tested connecting the monitor directly to ALLY to see if it works normally? This will help determine if the issue is with the docking station. Thank you for your cooperation.

i have also bought a new display port cable and the same dock and still nothing

Thank you for the reply ASUS, sorry for my delayed response. I needed a little time to both verify the information you requested I check, and gather the information you requested.

I am fully updated on both the BIOS and the AMD driver you linked to this page. I verified the BIOS version in BIOS, and the driver on my "Device Manager" page in windows, under the display adapter tab. As stated, I have tried multiple monitors and TVs, using both HDMI and Displayport. The monitors are listed below.

ASUS VS229H-P, ASUS VG248QE, LG 27GR95QE-B, LG C3 (TV), VIZIO D24-D1 (TV)

As for connecting directly to a monitor, you mean to a monitor using a USB-c to USB-C cable? I do not own a display that uses a USB-C cable for a display input option.

Thank you for the assistance.

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @TwistytheGr8 ,

Thank you for your response. If you have a USB-C to DP/HDMI cable, could you please try connecting the monitor directly using that cable to test if it detects the display?

This is just a test; could you try disabling RSR to see if there is any improvement? Thank you.

I do not own a USB-C to HDMI or DP cable. I have never needed one before. And disabling RSR had no effect.

Thanks, Nick

Anbby_ROG
Customer Service Agent

Hi @TwistytheGr8 ,

I would like to confirm with you whether, after connecting the monitor, there is any indication of an external monitor in Device Manager > Monitor. 

Based on your description, have you ever successfully displayed anything on the external monitor since receiving ALLY? Thank you.