cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tweak your OS guide

Retired
Not applicable
Just thought id start a thread on OS tweaks to help your everyday life. If anyone would like to add to this thread, please chime in with your tweak.

For those of you who don't use hibernation, you can disable it and free up storage, up to the amount of ram you have on your system! I have 8 gigs of memory, i freed up about 6 gigs.

• Go to this link and download "disable hibernation fix it": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730
  • Once you run the installer, you need to restart your system in order to free up the space. When you disable hibernation it will free up the storage that is used to to store data during the hibernating stage. If you want to enable simple run the Enable fix it.
32 REPLIES 32

JRd1st
Level 12
Programs and Features Shortcut
Right-Clk on desktop, New >> Shortcut >> Browse to C:\Windows\System32 for Location >> Type Programs and Features
When shotrtcut is created, Right-Clk >> Properties >> Copy "C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL appwiz.cpl" (without quotations) and paste into Target
Type C:\Windows\System32 in "Start In"
Press OK

Device Manager Shortcut
Navigate to C:\Windows\system32 >> Right click on devmgmt.msc and select Pin to Start Menu
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I use XdN Tweaker it has the Hibernation Disable in it plus a bunch of others that are really good like opening up your internet connections from 4 to I use 10 Simultaneous connections, also has right click menu options like Take Ownership(a much needed and used tweak). It's well documented even for a Chimp to understand and covers just about all of the useful ones, plus it's easier that trying to remember 500 Registry Hacks...

Kaboom
Level 8
I believe I already mentioned this, but I LOOOVE this latency fixer for games. It practically cut my ping in half on all my online games I play 🙂 http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info13581-LeatrixLatencyFix.html

Jaytheredneck1
Level 8
I am my own tweak software lol Virtual memory was the first thing I fixed when I figured out that win 7 was eating more than half of my SSD. Microsoft really needs to fix that, even if for some reason they can't detect when an ssd is in use, it should see little drive and big drive only put page file on big drive.
Crosshair V Formula 990FX 0506 Bios - Phenom II X6 1100T - Gskill Sniper 1600MHz (4x4GB) - Saphire Radeon 6770 - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - WD Black 1TB - Cooler Master V6GT - Antec Dark Fleet 85 - Antec CP-850 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64

glenn_with_2_n_
Level 7
change your windows log on screen background without some random program, ive seen this method in a few places but it works mint! this write up was snagged from a site with the link posted below 😄

This method will require you to modify the registry, and if that puts a knot in your stomach, you should move on to the next section.

Step 1: Open the Windows Start menu and enter regedit into the search bar.

Step 2: Right click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and select Find.

Step 3: Search for OEMBackground, which should be in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background. If the key does not exist, add a new DWORD value with the name OEMBackground.

Step 4: Double click on the entry OEMBackground, and change the value from 0 to 1

Step 5: Open Windows Explorer and go to the following path: %windir%\system32\oobe.

Step 6: Create a new folder named info, and open it.

Step 7: Create a new folder within info named backgrounds.

Step 8: Rename your desired wallpaper as backgroundDefault (has to be JPG file) and place it inside the folder backgrounds (images must be less than 245KB in size).

That should do the trick, now just lock your PC, log off or reboot and enjoy.

http://www.techspot.com/guides/224-change-logon-screen-windows7/
†he RoG Hell Spawn | GPU/ 2 x Matrix Platinum 580 GTX in SLI | MoBo/ Maximus IV Extreme-Z | CPU/ i7 2600k (Cooled by Corsair H60) | Case/ SilverStone FT-02 | Memory/ 16GB of Corsair Vengeance | PSU/ SilverStone 1200-G | OS/ Win7Ult | OS SSD's/ 2 x Corsair 60GB Force GT in RAID 0 | Game Storage/ 2 x WD 1TB 7200rpm HDD in RAID 0 | Media Storage/ 2TB WD HDD | Main Storage/ 256GB SSD | Sound Card/ Creative SB X-Fi Ti with Front Drive | Misc/ Sound Activated Lighting | ....well i'll be damned 😛

Kaboom
Level 8
Along the lines of what the fellow before me said. I have a program that I've been using for YEARS, and it also has a feature to change your Windows login screen. All you do is upload the photo, and click save and it changes everything for you! The program is called Tuneup Utilities, and I've used it for everything like deleting programs, changing startup programs, defragmenting the registry, you name it.

Here's the link: EDIT. No no this will not do.

Go to Control Panel ---> Uninstall Programs ---> (ON the left pane) Turn Off/on Windows Features ---> Go through list and uncheck the items you don't need such as Tablet PC Components.

Hope every little bit helps 😉

Kaboom
Level 8
Along the lines of what the fellow before me said. I have a program that I've been using for YEARS, and it also has a feature to change your Windows login screen. All you do is upload the photo, and click save and it changes everything for you! The program is called Tuneup Utilities, and I've used it for everything like deleting programs, changing startup programs, defragmenting the registry, you name it.

Here's the link: http://www.tune-up.com/?x-rest=&gclid=CNKV28SB9q0CFakbQgod7UvZtA

Jok3r
Level 7
What does hibernation do?
MB: Asus Crosshair V Formula
CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1100t black Edition
SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX1050
Cooling: Corsair H100
GPU: HD4550 (Waiting for GTX680 to come in that mail)
RAM: 4 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper