cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen tearing with GTX 970 and 980 when gaming

Nahrga
Level 10
I got a nasty screen tearing issue with my Zotac GTX 980 when gaming on my 120Hz screen. It is different from game to game, some games doesn't have any screen tearing.

I've also tried with a MSI GTX 970 and a EVGA GTX 970 FTW with the same results. However, my old MSI GTX 680 and MSI GTX 560 Ti doesn't have this issue, so I guess the 900 series is more likely to have screen tearing?

Other things I've tried:
- V-sync, which fixes the screen tearing but causes stutter instead.
- Adaptive V-sync, which doesn't make any difference other than random huge frame drops.
- Tried older Nvidia drivers that actually reduced it a bit.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the screen tearing? or do I need a G-Sync monitor?
If a G-Sync monitor is the only solution, which models are recommended?

Thanks in advance 🙂
13 REPLIES 13

bastian827
Level 9
You really have to enable your V-Sync

sectionate wrote:
Check your pins on your DVI-D cable

Already tried with different cables. As mentioned I tested with my old GTX 680 and GTX 560 Ti (using the same cable) and there is no screen tearing.

bastian827 wrote:
You really have to enable your V-Sync

As I said, it unfortunately causes random stutters in some games. However, a few of my games it does work without causing any stutters.
My issue is that some of my games screen tear a lot, which V-Sync does fix but however cause stutter instead. In this case I believe G-Sync is the only solution.

Nate152

sk2play
Level 13
Nope (at least for me), I would need a 12GB Titan for ONE Video card to work SUPER SMOOTH at your request at 144hz, otherwise go for two 980's but hope for the best with SLI and Surround nVidia drivers to handle your games with three LCD's. I would also get 32GB system ram minimum with a current I7 CPU. Otherwise, I would expect disappointment.
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit