cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not 3GB Video but 719 Meg

mmeyerj
Level 8
No matter what it says or what work around ASUS uses to make it work, there is only 719 MB of video memory on a G74SX-RNH71. This is why every time I ALT-TAB from a game as simple as World of Warcraft I get a warning saying there isn't enough video memory to run the Aero interface.

I was once told by an ASUS employee that I was reading system information "wrongly". Well obviously so is Windows.
Current PC: G74SX-RH71
Current Game(s): World of Warcraft, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Current Emotion: Frustrated
1 REPLY 1

Sonny
Level 9
How much does GPU-Z say you have? Aero can use up to 500MB of VRAM some times, its a big hog so I tend to turn aero off whenever I game. You can make windows do it automatically by right clicking the shortcut, and under compatability clicking disable visual themes and disable desktop composition. WoW can be a bit of a vram hog sometimes, it uses about 1400MB-1600MB or so @2560x1440 with AA maxed, so aero can usually slow things down there.

Take a look at GPU-Z first to see how much vram you have exactly, as well as how much is being used (under sensors)

CM Storm Trooper
Rampage IV Extreme
3930K@5.1GHz 1.48V (+0.085 Offset) XSPC Raystorm +Alphacool 360mm UT-60 /w 3x Scythe Ultra Kaze @2200rpm
Asus DC2T GTX680 x2 (going for a 3rd with some EK blocks when the budget allows)
32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400 G.skill Trident X
2x 256GB Vertex4 Raid0
Seasonic Platinum 1000W