cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my gaming laptop over heats when i playing videos games

crazygamer16
Level 7
my gaming laptop over heats when i playing videos games is it supposed to do that just wondering it a new laptop rog zephyrus g15 3060 it seams better than my old alien ware for gaming its a 1070 but my new gaming laptop is 3060
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hello crazygamer16,

Welcome to the ROG forum.

What are cpu and gpu temps while playing games?

You can buy a laptop stand with a cooler or play a game at minimum settings. By the way, AMD processors heat up more than Intel. Although it's probably better to buy a new laptop and enjoy the new generation of video card and processor.

This statement is just wrong all together. I doubt this user actually has any idea what they are talking about.

bejito81
Level 7
crazygamer16 wrote:
my gaming laptop over heats when i playing videos games is it supposed to do that just wondering it a new laptop rog zephyrus g15 3060 it seams better than my old alien ware for gaming its a 1070 but my new gaming laptop is 3060

we'd need to know the temps you have

also you're saying it is overheating, did you got any crash? was your computer suddenly very slow?

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Would be a little easier to read if you throw in some punctuation marks in there 😉 It is pretty hot in Australia at the moment so that could be it, need to know what game, settings, and ambient temps. How hot are we talking about? Heat is generally to be expected for thin compact laptops with lots of graphics power.

crazygamer16 wrote:

Make sure that your laptop is well ventilated. Gaming laptops generate a lot of heat, and if the vents are blocked, the laptop will overheat.

Also, make sure that you're not playing games at too high of a resolution. If your graphics card is working hard to render complex graphics, it will generate more heat and could cause your laptop to overheat. Try lowering the resolution of your games and see if that helps.

Hi, I have a very similar issue. I general as I'm posting on this thread. The Armoury crate is giving me 55C in the early morning(India).
While gaming the temperature rises to 95 C and thermal throttling takes place, giving me 20fps (from 120-250fps) easily. I thought it was a graphics issue, lowered y setting and it still takes place. Learned that it's about the physics of the game and not the graphics(lol).

I don't know if the cooling pad will be helpful since it has ventilation from above the CPU to back of the laptop. I don't know what are my choices here. I know I still have warranty to work on - but I would like to know all the options from you on this matter. I believe CPU thermal paste can be checked. Any more you want to reccommend?

FoxMan
Level 7

There are several effective ways to lower your laptop's CPU temperature and maintain optimal performance, and I use them all periodically when I play Super Nintendo Games.

First, make sure that the laptop stands on a flat, hard surface. Using it on soft surfaces, such as pillows or blankets, can impede airflow and cause the processor to overheat.

Second, make sure that the laptop's ventilation is not blocked. Keep the vents clean and free of dust and debris, using compressed air regularly to blow out any accumulated particles.

Third, use a cooling laptop stand. These stands usually have built-in fans that provide extra airflow to the bottom of the laptop, helping to dissipate heat more efficiently.

Fourth, adjust your laptop's power settings. Lowering the CPU's maximum state in the power settings can help reduce the load on the processor and, therefore, reduce its temperature.

Next, limit resource-intensive tasks and applications. Running too many programs or resource-intensive tasks at the same time can put a strain on the processor, causing it to heat up. Close all unnecessary applications and use Task Manager to monitor and manage resource usage.

Finally, consider lowering the voltage or applying cooling thermal paste to the processor. These best practices require technical knowledge and come with some risk, so it's advisable to learn and follow the appropriate guidelines or contact a professional if necessary.

By applying these measures, you can effectively lower the temperature of your laptop's CPU, ensuring optimal performance, longevity, and avoiding potential problems with thermal throttling or overheating.