cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

major PC stutter with most modern games

Giodude12
Level 7
I purchased the base i5 7400 model of the ROG GR8 II around a year ago. Within the last few months, I've been noticing that nearly every modern game i run has this major stuttering issue, whether it be long load times in quake champions, stutter whenever something new happens in FFXV, or textures not loading in until I'm right next to them like in fortnite. I believe this is something to do with the fact that when i fist bought my pc, i thought i could fuse the C and D drives together so i could have 1 big storage medium. I realized i just linked the SSD and HDD together. I'm not entirely sure if this is the issue, but it's the closest thing i have to a lead. The only reason i can think this isn't the issue is because defragging the C drive doesnt help whatsoever. I also have no clue how to unlink them. Is there a program i can use to see what's actually causing the issue, or is this 100% it? If this is the issue, can i unlink them without buying a new SSD or HDD? Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Retired
Not applicable
It could very much be the issue here with the linked SSD & HDD. If you're using Windows 10 there is a way to depool storage devices however I don't know if there's a program to separate them. If you would depool, you might lose data, you might want to backup everything possible. The worst case scenario would be to install a clean version of Windows.

So when I search for depool I get Deadpool on Google. Any way to link how to do it? Also, it's normal that it all appears as C: drive right? There's no indication that I fused them together in the partition manager, but I assume that's normal. To clarify i linked them by deleting the recovery drive in the middle of the C & D drives, deleting the D drive and just stretching the C drive into the remaining space.

EDIT: also, if i bought a new SSD or a new HDD, would that just instantly unlink them?

stewart_1
Level 8
You can try a 3rd party partition management app like partition wizard (https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html), but I would strongly recommend doing a fresh Windows install and seeing if that resolves the stuttering issue you are experiencing. Before altering your partition config in any way, please make sure you back up all your data (photos, videos, docs etc) first. Also, if you do reinstall Windows, it's probably best to keep C and D drives separate, using C for the OS and applications and D for data storage. If your primary drive (C) is not big enough, either re-think the number of games you have installed, or upgrade to a larger SSD. Good luck...

stewart@asus wrote:
You can try a 3rd party partition management app like partition wizard (https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html), but I would strongly recommend doing a fresh Windows install and seeing if that resolves the stuttering issue you are experiencing. Before altering your partition config in any way, please make sure you back up all your data (photos, videos, docs etc) first. Also, if you do reinstall Windows, it's probably best to keep C and D drives separate, using C for the OS and applications and D for data storage. If your primary drive (C) is not big enough, either re-think the number of games you have installed, or upgrade to a larger SSD. Good luck...

you're sure a fresh windows install will seperate the drives? Anyway, i'll try a fresh windows install in a few days, since i cant afford to do it today or tomorrow. If that doesn't work, i guess i'll buy a new HDD.

INDIVIDUUM
Level 7
It could also be the Kind of HDD you have. When i used my old WD Blue to play Forza Motorsport 7 for example with 4k Textures the Game would lag alot, Sequences would stutter, the HDD was just not powerful enough, also in GTA V i noticed that things such as traffic lights would pop up out of nowhere and take too long to load.
Try it on just your SSD , if it doesnt lag again or stutter it is ur HDD. You will need a bigger SSD then or buy a performance Hard Drive. Depends on the Budget and what ur willing to spend of course the SSD would be the perfect solution.

Have a nice weekend. 🙂

alfaniterex
Level 7
Giodude12 wrote:
I purchased the base i5 7400 model of the ROG GR8 II around a year ago. Within the last few months, I've been noticing that nearly every modern game i run has this major stuttering issue, whether it be long load times in quake champions, stutter whenever something new happens in FFXV, or textures not loading in until I'm right next to them like in fortnite. I believe this is something to do with the fact that when i fist bought my pc, i thought i could fuse the C and D drives together so i could have 1 big storage medium. I realized i just linked the SSD and HDD together. I'm not entirely sure if this is the issue, but it's the closest thing i have to a lead. The only reason i can think this isn't the issue is because defragging the C drive doesnt help whatsoever. I also have no clue how to unlink them. Is there a program i can use to see what's actually causing the issue, or is this 100% it? If this is the issue, can i unlink them without buying a new SSD or HDD? Thanks in advance.

As of today with such solutions playing on the SSD drive is the best way out

alfaniterex wrote:
As of today with such solutions playing on the SSD drive is the best way out

approved, i got this :cool:

ElShid
Level 7
Hi! I have an Asus Rog G771J with i7 CPU and geforce 960m. It is a normal thing, with that config it can only run world of tanks on low graphic settings?