cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

invalid pointer in DllGetRegValueStr

TenBlade
Level 11
Please, could anyone tell me what that means.

I´ve installed a legally downloaded version of Garbage Truck sim for my boy, the splash screen comes up ok with the company names, then this error:

invalid pointer or handle in DllGetRegValueStr
7 REPLIES 7

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
It means you should keep your "pointer" in your pants! 😛

All joking aside, it sounds like there was a corruption in the registry entry for the game. Grab a regsweeper, uninstall the sim, run the sweeper, reboot and try it again.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
It means you should keep your "pointer" in your pants! 😛

All joking aside, it sounds like there was a corruption in the registry entry for the game. Grab a regsweeper, uninstall the sim, run the sweeper, reboot and try it again.

My "pointer" IS valid 😉

I´ll try your suggestion, thanks for the speedy reply.

Just had a thought (my wife is laughing...) Could it have something to do with

Registry Editor HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
ProgramFilesDir and ProgramFilesDir x86. I changed them from C to E to keep programs from landing on my C drive.

Myk, got a link to a good regsweeper? When I google it I get something from Nikon?! and some talk about problems with regsweep.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
The registry entry will only point to wherever you installed the Sim to mate, regardless of where you set the main install location (if diff from C:\)

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have to stand in awe of a man who will post up in public forum and say his wife is laughing at his pointer. Dude really 😄 😄
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I have to stand in awe of a man who will post up in public forum and say his wife is laughing at his pointer. Dude really 😄 😄

lol, stuff is being taken out of contxt here it seems :rolleyes: Proclaiming that I have a thought makes her laugh, and maybe the pointer too, always better than making her cry 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
Use CCleaner Ten
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.