cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hd7870-dc2 2gd5 v2 Previous owners have maxed out Vram problems?

ChrisHarper
Level 7
I run this card with a M5A97 FX 6300 8 gig (2x4) 1600 Aptop ram thermaltake 500 PSU 120 g SSD Windows 10 and basically only play World of Tanks regularly. I am having trouble running the HD textures package, ie "improved" graphics. Now it does fine on lower end settings, that is until I flip the camera 180 and or there are a lot of people shooting at once, often ending in me dying before the lag ends.

Now this happens at 70 FPS and it doesn't seem to stop until I load standard graphics.

After a good bit of T/S I started using Riva Tuner and found that my Vram is 100% pegged full. Others said that is the problem, that basically it might be doing fine pegged but the minute extras need processed, it overloads and stutters. Which makes sense, however, the ram really never shows below 1700 used at any given time.
Here I will post a video of me recording the OSD during problem time https://youtu.be/5WOHdqkhybQ

Most people, and even the client auto dete4cts I can run maximum graphics, so I guess this is what has be digging past the standard response of "you just need a better card" as I am not trying to run max graphics. Though certainly I have that in the back of my mind, but an upgrade just isn't possible for a while.

I have also heard that the 7870 is just a terrible card. It was a RMA for my broke R9 270, which was the 4th replacement card after they all died within 6 months. So while I am glad this card lasted more than 6 months, I am still not pleased that they gave me a weaker card. It wasn't really an issue before WOT had the 1.0 graphics update. But back then I was playing Blade and Soul, and had to leave it too, for another stutter issue that I couldn't T/S the problem out, that occurred even when the graphics were turned all the way down.

Looking back, it was probably this very problem. Half the time the GPU tweak says my Vram use is at 0% and then out of the blue it will be spiked.

Over the period of 6 months I have installed windows 10 4 times, and windows 7 twice, used a different motherboard, loaded drivers from amd directly, used ASUS's drivers, replaced PSU,refined case air flow, went back and forth with customer support on ASUS side and WOT side and am just out of options.

I have kind of a working fix at the moment, mods that disable gun effects, and other annoying things like haze, and am running the HD graphics OK, on the very lowest settings. I can almost do this with my GT 710 as well, so again, I think this card is severely under-performing.

So I ask you ROG; have you had similar 7870 experiences? Any insight into my troubles? Sorry this was such a long winded post. I actually cut it quite a bit short. lol My experience with ASUS products, after pretty much vouching for them, and was thinking I was building quality, has been nothing short of a nightmare, since this budget Christmas '14 build I put together. Worse yet combined with it not having a on board graphics, resulting in computer downtime and me having to buy super cheap cards to carry over RMA time.

Thanks for your time and input!
1 REPLY 1

ChrisHarper
Level 7
Nevermind, I actually figured out that it was my Aptop DDR 3 1600 ram for some reason. I swapped it out with some Corsair xms3 1333 and things are back to well smooth with no intermittent freezing!