cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debate of the best MOBA game, is it LoL, DOTA 2, or something else? [Battle #3]

Bahz
Level 12
UPDATE:
We'll be postponing the winners announcement to Dec 30th, the winners for Battle #3 will be posted up on ROG Website

The third battle is a new type of battle; it’s a “debate.” Share with us your thoughts on which game title you feel is the true champion of MOBA games. The obvious choices are LoL (League of Legends) and DOTA 2, but is there something else that belongs in this discussion?

This battle begins on December 8th 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8) and ends on December 22nd 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8).

Don’t just share your choice, tell us why and prove it with your passion for the game! Only one submission for this topic but you may discuss and debate with others to earn additional entries for the grand prize draw.

See prizes and complete rules below:

Biweekly battle topic prizes
1st Prize – ROG Goodies Box (filled with a ton of exclusive ROG swag)
2nd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
3rd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
4th Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)

Grand Prizes (draw will take place between January 5th 2017 – Janurary 11th 2017)

Rules

• Provide your answer on which game title you think is the best MOBA game and provide your reasoning and facts to back it up. Only entries that meet these criteria will be considered a valid entry.
  • Limit one entry per person for the biweekly prize draw but no limit for additional entries for the grand prize draw
  • Additional qualified replies/comments will earn you additional entries for the grand prize draw. All additional qualified replies/comments on this thread or the other 3 battle topic threads will be accepted as additional entries up until January 4th 2017
  • Qualified replies/comments must have substance and not 1-2 word replies and are helpful in carrying forward the discussion. The eligibility of each reply/comment will be determined by our ROG forum admins.
  • Winners will be announced on the ROG website 4 days after the conclusion of the battle (December 30th 2016).

For complete rules for this campaign, please visit the official campaign thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88630-ROG-Forum-Battleground-Community-Campaign-OFFICIAL-T...
285 REPLIES 285

seirafrncsc wrote:
Initiating a skill or skill shot in dota 2 depends on which hero/champion you are using, I play both games (around 4800 hrs on dota, around 500 hrs on LoL and to add, maybe around 6000 hours on dota 1 which is both LoL and dota 2's base game). LoL is fun and fast paced because the game mechanics are pretty much easier than dota.Dota/dota 2's game mechanics are harder, can't explain cause there are tons of reasons, there are even pro games reaching 2 hours. Also both games surely do those interesting changes which are both the same.

Conclusions is:

1. Both game came from 1 root which is dota 1.

2. I think it's not that valid to compare LoL and DotA 2 since they are different from each other, they have vast differences on game mechanics.

3. Both are fun

4. For me, Both LoL and DotA 2 communities are currently supporting each other, which is supposed to be from the start.

5. As of now, due to recent patches of both LoL and DotA 2, DotA 2 is currently the best MOBA game. This might change in the future since most games are evolving thru time.

Sidenote: Most Dota 2 Community is hating LoL because of the pendragon incident, if it didn't happen, both community will be at peace and will be called literally sister games because of their root.

Jeez, two hours? I don't watch League of Legends professional games but I don't think any of them have reached two hours. Not saying that's a bad thing, but that's got to be stressing if you're the player. My personal record of longest match must be 1 hour at most, and that already gave me a headache. Wait, so are DOTA 2 community supporting or hating? And if I may ask, what's the Pendragon incident? I haven't heard about that one before.

Xxzero0000 wrote:
In my opinion, i think LoL is better than DOTA2. I've played LoL for 2 years and played DOTA2 maybe only 10 games. For the gameplay,I think LoL harder than DOTA2. Coz, LoL prioritizing Skill first. For the example skillshot on LoL you have to aim the target manually. Another case in Dota2 you can use skillshot automatically (my experience playing Luna Moonfang). So, in this case i think DOTA2 easier than LoL.
Other reason why i love to play LoL is there are many interesting changes each patch(buff/nerf to champion skill/item) which is made that game more interesting. I dont know DOTA2 has same / more interesting features than LoL.
Thanks for reading my opinion, all comments welcome within reason.

Sorry for my bad English 😞😞😞

I think I have to disagree with the easy and skillshot part.

The difficulty of the game really depends on various factor including the hero that you chose. Luna is on of easy hero as she only have 2 active spells. Also, in my opinion, including easy hero is good to encourage new players to play the game. Imagine when you are new to Dota 2, and the only way you want to win the game is to master 4 active skillshot abilities. I bet most of the new players will run away after playing 1 game. That is why there are certain heroes have easy skill set and some of them have hard skill set.

For skillshot abilities, there are currently 112 heroes playable in Dota 2. Some of them are really easy to play and don't have skillshot ability like Luna, the one that you've played. Luna have 2 active abilities and 2 passive abilities and none of them are skillshot abilities, unless you bought an item that can change one of your ability which is Aghanim Scepter, that will alter Luna's ultimate, or the 4th skill. There are plenty more heroes that have skillshot abilities but most of them are hard to play. If you really want to play heroes that have skillshot abilities and want to aim the target manually, try Pudge. Pudge first skill is a skillshot ability, known as hook. This ability is the same as Rocket Grab on Blitzcrank in LoL. Based on my observations, all MOBA have skillshot abilities and non-skillshot abilities depending on what heroes/champions/etc you chose.

Also, there are pros and cons on both skillshot abilities and non skillshot abilities which I'm not going to explain since it might took a very long explanation that would not contribute to the discussion here.

One more thing, I think all MOBA games do release updates and patches regularly. Most of the patches include buffs, nerfs, item changes, just like you mentioned.

danzzal wrote:
I think I have to disagree with the easy and skillshot part.

The difficulty of the game really depends on various factor including the hero that you chose. Luna is on of easy hero as she only have 2 active spells. Also, in my opinion, including easy hero is good to encourage new players to play the game. Imagine when you are new to Dota 2, and the only way you want to win the game is to master 4 active skillshot abilities. I bet most of the new players will run away after playing 1 game. That is why there are certain heroes have easy skill set and some of them have hard skill set.

For skillshot abilities, there are currently 112 heroes playable in Dota 2. Some of them are really easy to play and don't have skillshot ability like Luna, the one that you've played. Luna have 2 active abilities and 2 passive abilities and none of them are skillshot abilities, unless you bought an item that can change one of your ability which is Aghanim Scepter, that will alter Luna's ultimate, or the 4th skill. There are plenty more heroes that have skillshot abilities but most of them are hard to play. If you really want to play heroes that have skillshot abilities and want to aim the target manually, try Pudge. Pudge first skill is a skillshot ability, known as hook. This ability is the same as Rocket Grab on Blitzcrank in LoL. Based on my observations, all MOBA have skillshot abilities and non-skillshot abilities depending on what heroes/champions/etc you chose.

Also, there are pros and cons on both skillshot abilities and non skillshot abilities which I'm not going to explain since it might took a very long explanation that would not contribute to the discussion here.

One more thing, I think all MOBA games do release updates and patches regularly. Most of the patches include buffs, nerfs, item changes, just like you mentioned.

Since it seems you have played both and are familiar with DOTA 2 and League of Legends, which do you think has more heroes/champions with skillshots? Of all gaming mechanics, skillshots is one of my favorite. Back in DOTA days in Warcraft 3, I used to play Pudge a lot because of the meat hook, I also used Clockwork but, I liked Pudge more. So when I switched to League of Legends, I immediately tried to find a champion that can pull an enemy using a skill shot, and that's how Blitzcrank became my main.

Xxzero0000 wrote:
In my opinion, i think LoL is better than DOTA2. I've played LoL for 2 years and played DOTA2 maybe only 10 games. For the gameplay,I think LoL harder than DOTA2. Coz, LoL prioritizing Skill first. For the example skillshot on LoL you have to aim the target manually. Another case in Dota2 you can use skillshot automatically (my experience playing Luna Moonfang). So, in this case i think DOTA2 easier than LoL.
Other reason why i love to play LoL is there are many interesting changes each patch(buff/nerf to champion skill/item) which is made that game more interesting. I dont know DOTA2 has same / more interesting features than LoL.

Sorry for my bad English 

nah, try other heroes, such as invoker, magnus, morp, etc

Xxzero0000 wrote:

While I respect your experience (and am happy you love lol), I would like to say that all the points you argue for lol are also true for dota and that 10games is not enough to judge dota in as depth as you do. Especially skill required (whith a huge heroe pool) there is no way that you can actually get a feel for how difficult some heroes are to play.
The meta changes with each patch and there are a lot of playstyles you will only see in very high skill level games that truly show you the flexibility of dota vs other moba.
Any way, I wish you all the best and just wanted to point some things out, not in any way disrespect or change your opinion.
"People who live in glass houses should not throw stones."

Playful;)

Xxzero0000 wrote:

I played a lot of League of Legends too but I'd have to disagree that LoL is harder than DOTA 2. The mechanics for DOTA 2 is way more complex. Honestly, I feel like the only thing that is "hard" for LoL are the skillshots, other than that, nada. But that's what make League of Legends good too. It can be enjoyed by anyone easily without needing to learn a bunch of things. Although personally, I wish LoL would get complicated over time, at least add denying your own minions.

Dota 2, why? Because Pendragon ruined Leauge of Legend's reputation since from its release.

Well i dont know where to start first. Ive been playing League of Legends for almost as long as i can remember, i remember playing it while it was still new on the year 2009(cant remember the month accurately) because my friend suggested that we play something new. Ever since then i got hooked playing until now, even though at the past i went on a hiatus playing LOL i find myself playing it again and again because its so much fun to play. now lets talk about who's the best. Well for starters Riot really outdid themselves with the UPDATES and consistency with their Game, what i mean is, it is really difficult to make a game, UPDATE it for the better and be consistent at the same time, i really feel Riot is paying attention not just for its players but for the game as well, There is something with this game that we gamers cant get enough of, This is probably one of the main reason why LOL is on top to-date. Let us go over to DOTA2/DOTA(to me its the same game) The Godfather of all MOBA games, The MOBA game that started all MOBA games. DOTA is arguably the best MOBA game(before LOL), ive been playing it since i was in highschool. our favorite past time, here in the Philippines, we take our DOTA gaming very seriously, even to the point that we even competed to earn money from it. How? we create 2 teams with each team consisting of 5 players and then we collect or we raise pot money e.g. each player shall raise 50 pesos/2 USD(latest exchange rate as of today) and then which ever team would win, they would have rights to the pot money where they will divide it depending on how much that player raised, so for example a player raised 50 pesos/2 USD if that player's team win, he would get a total of 100 pesos/ 5 USD. PLUS! bragging rights! You see MOBA games for me is a battle arena where we showcase our skill level and knowledge in order to play and WIN. that is the main point of MOBA games is to win.so in order to win you have to have the necessary skill set to use or play the game to your benefit and beat the competition, and these two Titans have served that purpose and served it well. With that said it is really hard to choose WHICH is the best MOBA game because i feel like they are both great games and really fun to play alone or with friends. But in my opinion League of Legends has a SLIGHT advantage against DOTA(for now). Just the marketing of how Riot sells the game is brilliant, i mean look at it this way, the prize money for DOTA 2 is way higher than LOL esports, probably one of the highest prize pool for esports today, BUT. with that said, League of Legends is still on top so probably for now The best MOBA game is League of Legends. But then again, for how long? Will DOTA regain it's throne again. The real question now, is. When?

RoBBBBBB wrote:
Well i dont know where to start first. Ive been playing League of Legends for almost as long as i can remember, i remember playing it while it was still new on the year 2009(cant remember the month accurately) because my friend suggested that we play something new. Ever since then i got hooked playing until now, even though at the past i went on a hiatus playing LOL i find myself playing it again and again because its so much fun to play. now lets talk about who's the best. Well for starters Riot really outdid themselves with the UPDATES and consistency with their Game, what i mean is, it is really difficult to make a game, UPDATE it for the better and be consistent at the same time, i really feel Riot is paying attention not just for its players but for the game as well, There is something with this game that we gamers cant get enough of, This is probably one of the main reason why LOL is on top to-date. Let us go over to DOTA2/DOTA(to me its the same game) The Godfather of all MOBA games, The MOBA game that started all MOBA games. DOTA is arguably the best MOBA game(before LOL), ive been playing it since i was in highschool. our favorite past time, here in the Philippines, we take our DOTA gaming very seriously, even to the point that we even competed to earn money from it. How? we create 2 teams with each team consisting of 5 players and then we collect or we raise pot money e.g. each player shall raise 50 pesos/2 USD(latest exchange rate as of today) and then which ever team would win, they would have rights to the pot money where they will divide it depending on how much that player raised, so for example a player raised 50 pesos/2 USD if that player's team win, he would get a total of 100 pesos/ 5 USD. PLUS! bragging rights! You see MOBA games for me is a battle arena where we showcase our skill level and knowledge in order to play and WIN. that is the main point of MOBA games is to win.so in order to win you have to have the necessary skill set to use or play the game to your benefit and beat the competition, and these two Titans have served that purpose and served it well. With that said it is really hard to choose WHICH is the best MOBA game because i feel like they are both great games and really fun to play alone or with friends. But in my opinion League of Legends has a SLIGHT advantage against DOTA(for now). Just the marketing of how Riot sells the game is brilliant, i mean look at it this way, the prize money for DOTA 2 is way higher than LOL esports, probably one of the highest prize pool for esports today, BUT. with that said, League of Legends is still on top so probably for now The best MOBA game is League of Legends. But then again, for how long? Will DOTA regain it's throne again. The real question now, is. When?

I have never gambled when it comes to MOBA although I've had friends who made a lot of money from it. I just don't think I'm good enough to bet money on myself. The most risky thing I've done was battle with some college students when I was in high school. Luckily, we won. There were no bets but we really assumed they would be way better than us that time. I feel like involving money is too risky, not just because you'll lose, because I've heard about riots and killings happen just because the losing team became so frustrated with their defeat.

Dota is the best because it was first. 😄