cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debate of the best MOBA game, is it LoL, DOTA 2, or something else? [Battle #3]

Bahz
Level 12
UPDATE:
We'll be postponing the winners announcement to Dec 30th, the winners for Battle #3 will be posted up on ROG Website

The third battle is a new type of battle; it’s a “debate.” Share with us your thoughts on which game title you feel is the true champion of MOBA games. The obvious choices are LoL (League of Legends) and DOTA 2, but is there something else that belongs in this discussion?

This battle begins on December 8th 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8) and ends on December 22nd 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8).

Don’t just share your choice, tell us why and prove it with your passion for the game! Only one submission for this topic but you may discuss and debate with others to earn additional entries for the grand prize draw.

See prizes and complete rules below:

Biweekly battle topic prizes
1st Prize – ROG Goodies Box (filled with a ton of exclusive ROG swag)
2nd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
3rd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
4th Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)

Grand Prizes (draw will take place between January 5th 2017 – Janurary 11th 2017)

Rules

• Provide your answer on which game title you think is the best MOBA game and provide your reasoning and facts to back it up. Only entries that meet these criteria will be considered a valid entry.
  • Limit one entry per person for the biweekly prize draw but no limit for additional entries for the grand prize draw
  • Additional qualified replies/comments will earn you additional entries for the grand prize draw. All additional qualified replies/comments on this thread or the other 3 battle topic threads will be accepted as additional entries up until January 4th 2017
  • Qualified replies/comments must have substance and not 1-2 word replies and are helpful in carrying forward the discussion. The eligibility of each reply/comment will be determined by our ROG forum admins.
  • Winners will be announced on the ROG website 4 days after the conclusion of the battle (December 30th 2016).

For complete rules for this campaign, please visit the official campaign thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88630-ROG-Forum-Battleground-Community-Campaign-OFFICIAL-T...
285 REPLIES 285

Yuten wrote:
Dota 2. Though my heart is begging me to actually say:"DOTA 2 EZ GGWP!!!"

Well let's breakdown what "best" means:
1) Overall enjoyment
2) Game design
3)Upkeep and Improvement
4)Visuals (Graphics)
5)Community and how it's controlled

I'm basing my analysis on these statistics supported by MY OWN thoughts.

I have sampled quite a lot of MOBA's but stuck with Dota 2 because it gave me a much better experience and enjoyment.

1) Being a warcraft all stars player Dota 2 has come a LONG way from it ancestor.
I enjoyed All stars because it was, at a stage, the only one of its kind and became very skilled at it. After sampling Dota 2 and various other MOBA games, my heart still stuck to my "1st love" simply because Valve took an amazing game... and made it better.
The graphics are better, mechanics are smoother and the community is larger... which means less waiting for matches and more playing.

2) The design of the game is flawless. There are very few bugs in the game and if one gets spotted, Valve quickly eradicates it to make the game fair. The fact that you have a hero that has no equal in the game makes it much more dynamic which contributes to anti picking (Making it way more competitive and sensitive).
There is NO hero that cannot be countered because of the vast spells and items each hero has and can gain respectively. In LoL, 90% of all spells are AOE and Skill shots (Target Point) which I REALLY enjoy but it becomes redundant when every player has the option for a "flash" and can use it at any given time, Dota 2 wins in this sense and ironically makes hero positioning that much more valuable. There is so much more I could talk about with the mechanics of Dota 2 but eventually people are gonna get bored of all the reading. One thing I particularly love about Dota 2 is that if you are a newbee, or if you are part of the Clan "Newbee", you both have an exact 50% chance of winning. I don't like the way a player gets better stats that helps in game just because you've played longer than others... Dota 2 take real skill and skill only to be good in the game, not relying on a "+2% attack speed with every hero because your player level is 9". All of the above I believe is better than any other Moba.

3)There are a lot of Moba''s but Dota definitely has the most updates. Sometimes annoying but necessary. When an update arrives it's usually visual items and alterations with hero skills and in game shop items. The alterations are VERY sensitively applied if Valve feel a hero/item is a bit too week/powerful and 90% of the time, the community agrees with the updates.
The visual items (sets) that come with the update are always gorgeous and most are affordable. What really caught me here is that there are THOUSANDS of items that are player created, giving people who have an artistic side a chance to grow their skill and make some money on the side. I have never been disconnected in Dota 2 due to server maintenance. If there is some to be done, you can continue your game and, once it's done, wait a very short while until the server is up and running again. One thing that I can say that I do NOT like about Dota 2 is that it takes a VERY long time to release new heroes, but with all my previous points I can wait :D.

4) Graphics, well I'll just summarize this one:
Best graphics in a MOBA with ratio to its visual theme (Artwork is closest to the aimed style).
Has the best GUI and Home screen vs other MOBAs.
Players can customize GUI/HUD, Map Theme, Heroes, Map Weather.
New to Dota 2 which I have yet to test is Dota VR which I expect will be amazing.

5) The Dota 2 community is full of all types of players like any MOBA. My main point in this section is to highlight that Dota 2 was only released in 2013, which makes it 3 years old, and it already has a much bigger player database than any other MOBA (including LoL which was released in 2009 making it 7 years old) If it wasn't the best MOBA, why are so many people playing it? xD
There are Bans and Mutes and AFK bans and so forth. Dota 2 has a control system that cannot really be abused. There are Mutes and Bans and etc... but it will only take effect if a pattern occurs with a player so, don't swear or feed too much cuz you'll get restricted :). If you feel you have been restricted for any reason, you can contact steam support and they will help you with how they feel is fair.

Overall Dota 2 is just an amazing game. I play every single day and I do so because it is extremely fun, I'm addicted to its competition, want to learn more about it and get better at it and meet new people from it.

I think many other people will agree with me after reading my essay xD.

Thank you for reading and all comments welcome within reason.

Wow so detailed 🙂

It's nice reading about your thoughts on this topic

Bahz wrote:
Wow so detailed 🙂

It's nice reading about your thoughts on this topic

Thank you very much!! 😄

I have a huge passion for Dota 2.^^

I'm gonna have to go with Smite since it's the only one I've actually had any interest in playing more than once or twice...

DOTA 2 no doubt about it...
its very enjoyable
unique
everyone is playing it(like most every gamers has tried it, even celebrities and athletes in my country post pictures of themselves playing dota2 on their social media)
and lets admit it, its very addictive
hahaha
so much fun...*

jmrvb wrote:
DOTA 2 no doubt about it...
its very enjoyable
unique
everyone is playing it(like most every gamers has tried it, even celebrities and athletes in my country post pictures of themselves playing dota2 on their social media)
and lets admit it, its very addictive
hahaha
so much fun...*

important is we enjoy and have fun playing DOTA2

its simple. all the other "moba" style games go for the classic original formula that was created during "starcraft" times, and perfected in WC3
this formula while good does feel very out-dated.
thus enters the new type of MOBA games, Smite was the 1st i encountered that actually gave a different feel and gameplay while keeping the classic design, it is much more action oriented and added a new dimension to the MOBA univers.
today you can find other games do the same, whether its Epic's Paragon or Motiga's gigantic.
they all do F2P really well and try to innovate on the concept.

Well, for me, it's always been DOTA 2, ive played dota since elementary school, that was when dota was based on warcraft 3 frozen throne. And now i really enjoyed DOTA 2 more than ever, it teaches you how to cooperate with people around Asia (since im Indonesian), there are lots of trashtalk most of the time during the game, but to me its what makes the game alive. Sometimes you argue the whole game about who's fault for causing the team to lose, no supports whatsoever. But yea then again, it's lively and fun. Other coll things about dota is that, there is never the strongest, either the person nor the DOTA heroes. In-game hero is always constantly changing (abilities, stats, and items) and there is absolutely no domination over who's the best player, cause its not a 1 on 1 game, its a 5 on 5, it requires team work.
Tournaments are so far the biggest in fan and prize. And the thrill to be there watching, supporting, and cheering for your team is just one of those best memories you have. Even thought i personally dont get the chance to be at the International (biggest dota 2 tournaments), streaming the games at home with friends is simply joyful.
Another cool thing about Dota is that you can also play some sort of mini games or custom game, in which you can either create a game or play someone else's game. There is also a custom made items for in-game heroes. This feature lets you create and design items as much as you imagine, then upload it to DOTA 2 community for voting, and highest vote get their items to be featured and posted for selling.
Last but not least, the game. It has many things in common compared to LoL or HON, only to me, DOTA requires more skills and mostly teamwork. The map are mostly the same. DOTA heroes are harder to control and master (meepo, invoker, magnus,etc). No matter how skilled you are, or how high your reflexes is, it still goes down to team communication, initiation, and plans. But dont get me wrong though, individual skills also matters, like alot. The graphics are way better than LoL and HON, which makes your eyes glittering with astonishment.
I've learned many so far with DOTA, including english, patience, solving situation, how to lead, carry and sometimes be the sidekick of the game, and not to give up even in most desperate times.
So, i hope this inspire you in the least to sneak a peek on DOTA for those of you who hasn't got their hands on DOTA and try the game. And Chill, there's also a ranked system called MMR, a bit challenging i suppose. Thats it from me, see ya.

my vote go for Heroes of the Storm

angelanz2 wrote:
Well, for me, it's always been DOTA 2, ive played dota since elementary school, that was when dota was based on warcraft 3 frozen throne. And now i really enjoyed DOTA 2 more than ever, it teaches you how to cooperate with people around Asia (since im Indonesian), there are lots of trashtalk most of the time during the game, but to me its what makes the game alive. Sometimes you argue the whole game about who's fault for causing the team to lose, no supports whatsoever. But yea then again, it's lively and fun. Other coll things about dota is that, there is never the strongest, either the person nor the DOTA heroes. In-game hero is always constantly changing (abilities, stats, and items) and there is absolutely no domination over who's the best player, cause its not a 1 on 1 game, its a 5 on 5, it requires team work.
Tournaments are so far the biggest in fan and prize. And the thrill to be there watching, supporting, and cheering for your team is just one of those best memories you have. Even thought i personally dont get the chance to be at the International (biggest dota 2 tournaments), streaming the games at home with friends is simply joyful.
Another cool thing about Dota is that you can also play some sort of mini games or custom game, in which you can either create a game or play someone else's game. There is also a custom made items for in-game heroes. This feature lets you create and design items as much as you imagine, then upload it to DOTA 2 community for voting, and highest vote get their items to be featured and posted for selling.
Last but not least, the game. It has many things in common compared to LoL or HON, only to me, DOTA requires more skills and mostly teamwork. The map are mostly the same. DOTA heroes are harder to control and master (meepo, invoker, magnus,etc). No matter how skilled you are, or how high your reflexes is, it still goes down to team communication, initiation, and plans. But dont get me wrong though, individual skills also matters, like alot. The graphics are way better than LoL and HON, which makes your eyes glittering with astonishment.
I've learned many so far with DOTA, including english, patience, solving situation, how to lead, carry and sometimes be the sidekick of the game, and not to give up even in most desperate times.
So, i hope this inspire you in the least to sneak a peek on DOTA for those of you who hasn't got their hands on DOTA and try the game. And Chill, there's also a ranked system called MMR, a bit challenging i suppose. Thats it from me, see ya.

we all start from DOTA 1and when DOTA 2 appear in the scene, it was great to have a dedicated valve team to develop and enchance the game we love ❤️

angelanz2 wrote:

I started playing DOTA from Warcraft 3 at an early age too. The game is honestly more fun if you play with classmates or friends. Instead of playing alone. I don't know about "no strongest" but there was a time here when everyone was using Shadow Fiend and dominating with it all the time. Although I heard that that is not the cast with DOTA 2, so it seems that they're doing better with balancing their heroes now.