cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debate of the best MOBA game, is it LoL, DOTA 2, or something else? [Battle #3]

Bahz
Level 12
UPDATE:
We'll be postponing the winners announcement to Dec 30th, the winners for Battle #3 will be posted up on ROG Website

The third battle is a new type of battle; it’s a “debate.” Share with us your thoughts on which game title you feel is the true champion of MOBA games. The obvious choices are LoL (League of Legends) and DOTA 2, but is there something else that belongs in this discussion?

This battle begins on December 8th 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8) and ends on December 22nd 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8).

Don’t just share your choice, tell us why and prove it with your passion for the game! Only one submission for this topic but you may discuss and debate with others to earn additional entries for the grand prize draw.

See prizes and complete rules below:

Biweekly battle topic prizes
1st Prize – ROG Goodies Box (filled with a ton of exclusive ROG swag)
2nd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
3rd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
4th Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)

Grand Prizes (draw will take place between January 5th 2017 – Janurary 11th 2017)

Rules

• Provide your answer on which game title you think is the best MOBA game and provide your reasoning and facts to back it up. Only entries that meet these criteria will be considered a valid entry.
  • Limit one entry per person for the biweekly prize draw but no limit for additional entries for the grand prize draw
  • Additional qualified replies/comments will earn you additional entries for the grand prize draw. All additional qualified replies/comments on this thread or the other 3 battle topic threads will be accepted as additional entries up until January 4th 2017
  • Qualified replies/comments must have substance and not 1-2 word replies and are helpful in carrying forward the discussion. The eligibility of each reply/comment will be determined by our ROG forum admins.
  • Winners will be announced on the ROG website 4 days after the conclusion of the battle (December 30th 2016).

For complete rules for this campaign, please visit the official campaign thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88630-ROG-Forum-Battleground-Community-Campaign-OFFICIAL-T...
285 REPLIES 285

wow I thought LoL would have more votes with how popular it is by sheer numbers, seems like I'm under the wrong impression, at least in the rog forum. Anyway, for me it's DotA \m/ I just like the mechanics better.

Bahz
Level 12
It seems like Dota 2 is winning by a landslide, I thought it's about time I chimed in on my thoughts and experience with the MOBA titles.

I personally played a lot of LoL because from the start it was just way easier to learn the characters and the systems and little did I know I would end up playing 3 years of it. I also played a lot of DOTA 1 and the first MOBA game in my memory was even more addictive than LoL but yeah I sucked in DOTA 1 while I was pretty decent in LoL. Moving onwards to DOTA 2 which I did also try, however I was never able to get hooked on this game. From the start I felt that the game was kind of hard to learn and I really disliked the graphics style and everything just didn't add up for me. I played for 2 months before I called quits because it just wasn't attractive or fun for me.

Putting everything into consideration, I have to vote that LoL is the best MOBA of all time because they seriously push out a lot of good updates (not always in my favor) and they've been trying to balance the game and the new characters are mostly pretty good and keeps the game interesting. Of course it eventually got boring after 3 years but that's 3 years of fun that I don't regret.

Bahz wrote:
It seems like Dota 2 is winning by a landslide, I thought it's about time I chimed in on my thoughts and experience with the MOBA titles.

I personally played a lot of LoL because from the start it was just way easier to learn the characters and the systems and little did I know I would end up playing 3 years of it. I also played a lot of DOTA 1 and the first MOBA game in my memory was even more addictive than LoL but yeah I sucked in DOTA 1 while I was pretty decent in LoL. Moving onwards to DOTA 2 which I did also try, however I was never able to get hooked on this game. From the start I felt that the game was kind of hard to learn and I really disliked the graphics style and everything just didn't add up for me. I played for 2 months before I called quits because it just wasn't attractive or fun for me.

Putting everything into consideration, I have to vote that LoL is the best MOBA of all time because they seriously push out a lot of good updates (not always in my favor) and they've been trying to balance the game and the new characters are mostly pretty good and keeps the game interesting. Of course it eventually got boring after 3 years but that's 3 years of fun that I don't regret.

Yeah, I agree with your statement. Dota 2 is a hard game. Might be the hardest one in MOBA genre due to its complexity. Even me myself who played for thousand of hours still learned something new sometimes. Plus, Valve also push lot of updates to the game, making the players including me to catch up with the new changes/mechanics/items/etc. But that's what made me like Dota in the first place 😉

danzzal wrote:
Yeah, I agree with your statement. Dota 2 is a hard game. Might be the hardest one in MOBA genre due to its complexity. Even me myself who played for thousand of hours still learned something new sometimes. Plus, Valve also push lot of updates to the game, making the players including me to catch up with the new changes/mechanics/items/etc. But that's what made me like Dota in the first place 😉

Dota 7.00 will be up later, Welcome back!

seirafrncsc wrote:
Dota 7.00 will be up later, Welcome back!

I heard that the game will now have talents and talent trees? I wonder whether this will make the game too complicated… Maybe it is an opportunity to have another go at the game.

DJFulcrum wrote:
I heard that the game will now have talents and talent trees? I wonder whether this will make the game too complicated… Maybe it is an opportunity to have another go at the game.

Based on my opinion, it will be more complicated from the old one. The old one you have "stats" where when you skill it you will get +2 to all your stats, which are strength, agility and intelligent. You can level up "stats" all the way and maxed at level 10 which is +20 to all your stats. This is kinda boring since all game you will basically always get +20 in every game when you reaches level 25 or you levelled stats all the way to level 10.

But in 7.00, they completely remove the "stats" and add talents tree. This thing is like a path. Every path will give you unique perks. You need to choose only one from two path for every level 10, 15, 20, and 25. This adds another complexity to the game since you might want to choose the right path depending on the situation because once you chose your path, you can't go back. But, with that new addition, it will make almost all the heroes to scale better at the late game. In other words, this will make the game better and I really liked it a lot.

Here's an example of talent tree from hero Vengeful Spirit. This adds another variation of play style possibilities by 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16 just from the talents tree alone!

Just like playing RPG game like Skyrim, once you chose your class ie thief, you can't change your class anymore.

danzzal wrote:
Based on my opinion, it will be more complicated from the old one. The old one you have "stats" where when you skill it you will get +2 to all your stats, which are strength, agility and intelligent. You can level up "stats" all the way and maxed at level 10 which is +20 to all your stats. This is kinda boring since all game you will basically always get +20 in every game when you reaches level 25 or you levelled stats all the way to level 10.

But in 7.00, they completely remove the "stats" and add talents tree. This thing is like a path. Every path will give you unique perks. You need to choose only one from two path for every level 10, 15, 20, and 25. This adds another complexity to the game since you might want to choose the right path depending on the situation because once you chose your path, you can't go back. But, with that new addition, it will make almost all the heroes to scale better at the late game. In other words, this will make the game better and I really liked it a lot.

Here's an example of talent tree from hero Vengeful Spirit. This adds another variation of play style possibilities by 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 16 just from the talents tree alone!

Just like playing RPG game like Skyrim, once you chose your class ie thief, you can't change your class anymore.

It does feel like skyrim, im still waiting for my update to finish, 6 damn gigabytes. Cant wait

I would just like to clarify that League is fairly balanced, for me. People saying that League doesn't require teamwork and a single fed player can 1v5. No, that's not true, if both teams know how to properly play the game, the game wouldn't be easy as 1v5'ing. Trust me, if you play in higher elo's there are games that are nerve-racking no matter how fed you are. There are also games you can't carry just because you have 20 kills and 5 deaths. As i have said before, League provides several objectives that can turn the tides of the game. Baron (League's Roshan), Dragons, Elder Dragon, Inhibitor, Varied item builds, etc.

danzzal wrote:

Now that you gave me a quick glance at the new talent system it is a great technique at scaling the game better at the late game as you have said. It is similar to the card system introduced in other games, but not quite the same. How is LoL’s levelling system in comparison to DOTA 2 7.0?

oasis789
Level 7
From an esports spectator's perspective, what I want out of MOBA is the kind of complexity and depth that rewards high level play and makes watching that high level play interesting, so I would consider DOTA 2 the "best MOBA" for that purpose. It's a challenging game, which is why it's such a pleasure to see the kind of talent and skill at the competition level. But if I were seeing it from a casual player's perspective, then perhaps DOTA 2 isn't because of those reasons, it has a steep learning curve and a high skill bar if you want to play online, so get good and get good fast. So I guess it depends on which perspective you prefer.