cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debate of the best MOBA game, is it LoL, DOTA 2, or something else? [Battle #3]

Bahz
Level 12
UPDATE:
We'll be postponing the winners announcement to Dec 30th, the winners for Battle #3 will be posted up on ROG Website

The third battle is a new type of battle; it’s a “debate.” Share with us your thoughts on which game title you feel is the true champion of MOBA games. The obvious choices are LoL (League of Legends) and DOTA 2, but is there something else that belongs in this discussion?

This battle begins on December 8th 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8) and ends on December 22nd 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8).

Don’t just share your choice, tell us why and prove it with your passion for the game! Only one submission for this topic but you may discuss and debate with others to earn additional entries for the grand prize draw.

See prizes and complete rules below:

Biweekly battle topic prizes
1st Prize – ROG Goodies Box (filled with a ton of exclusive ROG swag)
2nd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
3rd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
4th Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)

Grand Prizes (draw will take place between January 5th 2017 – Janurary 11th 2017)

Rules

• Provide your answer on which game title you think is the best MOBA game and provide your reasoning and facts to back it up. Only entries that meet these criteria will be considered a valid entry.
  • Limit one entry per person for the biweekly prize draw but no limit for additional entries for the grand prize draw
  • Additional qualified replies/comments will earn you additional entries for the grand prize draw. All additional qualified replies/comments on this thread or the other 3 battle topic threads will be accepted as additional entries up until January 4th 2017
  • Qualified replies/comments must have substance and not 1-2 word replies and are helpful in carrying forward the discussion. The eligibility of each reply/comment will be determined by our ROG forum admins.
  • Winners will be announced on the ROG website 4 days after the conclusion of the battle (December 30th 2016).

For complete rules for this campaign, please visit the official campaign thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88630-ROG-Forum-Battleground-Community-Campaign-OFFICIAL-T...
285 REPLIES 285

danzzal wrote:
There's reason for that. Not everyone could afford high end gaming rig. There's a survey that Steam conducted, and guess what, the most used GPU is GTX 970, which is at 4.9% of the overall players and it's still extremely small. Based on current trend, GTX 750 Ti will take over that place soon. Here's the link to the conducted survey: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

My main point is, they don't make Dota 2 graphic outdated without any logical reasons. They set a constraint to game graphics at specific level, (preferable lowest as possible but not too low), thus lowering the barrier to entry, so that more players can play the game, even with potato rig. Even when you want to create a cosmetic item, there's specific number of polygons allowed before you can submit it into the game. Being able to reach out more players is much more important than having a good graphics. But that's my opinion, feel free to give your own 😉

You make a good point. Targeting a bigger audience to sell your product is always better. Although, it's not like the users can't adjust their settings. DOTA 2, if they wish, could make the game have really stunning graphics that can only be played by those with really high-end PCs. (I don't know if that already exists, because I don't play DOTA 2). And Paragon could add a low graphic settings, so that it can be played by people with low-end PCs. But with that said, it means that Paragon cannot rely on its good graphics alone. The gameplay has to be good so it can be appreciated even by players who can't enjoy the realistic graphics.

spartan_hoplite wrote:
DOTA 2 may be the most popular MOBA games, but I think the graphic is already outdated. Now I love Paragon more because the graphic is really nice with the latest Unreal Engine 4 technology.
You can play Dota2 with low ends PC/Laptop( dual core, dx10 vga and 4gb Ram will runs fine) but to play Paragon you definitely need a ROG Class Laptop/PC.
My point is, if you have ROG PC/laptop then what for you keep spending more time with old DX10 games when there is a newer better games. We need to move on.

Well I'll need to disagree with you there. Dota 2 had a recent complete engine update called "Reborn". Dota 2 Reborn was released on September 09, 2015. With the new engine Valve could've changed whatever they wanted in terms of graphics but kept most of it the same allowing people with a lower budget to be able to play aswell, not just the wealthy community. 😛

yeah nice.. player's enjoyment is most important, and despite what some people think of DOTA's bad graphics, it still wins the day (20+ millions dollar in the international total prize pool), i mean it sure is reassuring that DOTA is the best, most-played, and top ranking MOBA in the world. Just saying, no offense

The best MOBA, not an original, but a new entry to the genre, Paragon.

Why Paragon? Though a game still in development, but playable, it is rich with what is missing in the traditional mix. It is competitively paced, it promotes teamwork and allows a player to customise his/her own individual playstyle. It took the good elements which made its competitors shine, and improved on them. It is the best game in its MOBA stable as opposed to the lacklustre Battleborn.

Since the game is still in development there is much to resolve, especially the balance, but the cards, character and Paragon points add a uniqueness to the overall quality. It also speaks to FPS players which is unreluctantly to place their time at MOBA’s like LoL and Dota2, like me which had a disastrous experience at LoL.

From strength to strength.

DJFulcrum wrote:

Why Paragon? Though a game still in development, but playable, it is rich with what is missing in the traditional mix. It is competitively paced, it promotes teamwork and allows a player to customise his/her own individual playstyle. It took the good elements which made its competitors shine, and improved on them. It is the best game in its MOBA stable as opposed to the lacklustre Battleborn.

Since the game is still in development there is much to resolve, especially the balance, but the cards, character and Paragon points add a uniqueness to the overall quality. It also speaks to FPS players which is unreluctantly to place their time at MOBA’s like LoL and Dota2, like me which had a disastrous experience at LoL.

Interesting, I totally never heard about Paragon before, guess it's a good time to check it out.

Bahz wrote:
Interesting, I totally never heard about Paragon before, guess it's a good time to check it out.

Also check Fractured Space which is also a cool Star Wars like MOBA game where heroes/champions are ships on a 5v5 space battle if you like space warfare movies/games. Played it for 30 hours when it got out on beta and still counting. I would like to add it on the list but it's not that popular yet.

DJFulcrum wrote:

I also find the concept of the game quite interesting, how ever I don't think you can say its the best MOBA out there if its so early in its life.
You're other point is also a mystery to me regarding; "it promotes teamwork", cause all MOBA's are built on that principal of teamwork to achieve victory. It's not up to the game to achieve team play, but each individual player. That fact brings me to my biggest concern regarding 3rd person MOBA's, each player focuses more on there own individual actions apposed to having a top view where you can see what each player is doing thus having a more robust team orientated experience. It becomes more an FPS brawl than an actual ARTS.

leopretorius wrote:
I also find the concept of the game quite interesting, how ever I don't think you can say its the best MOBA out there if its so early in its life.
You're other point is also a mystery to me regarding; "it promotes teamwork", cause all MOBA's are built on that principal of teamwork to achieve victory. It's not up to the game to achieve team play, but each individual player. That fact brings me to my biggest concern regarding 3rd person MOBA's, each player focuses more on there own individual actions apposed to having a top view where you can see what each player is doing thus having a more robust team orientated experience. It becomes more an FPS brawl than an actual ARTS.

I have been playing the game since it had gone Beta, got me hooked. Fresh.

As an CSGO player, the teamwork carries the same merit, where voice commands/updates, roles and map knowledge are critical to achieving success which also is applicable to any team based game, but where you have mentioned that players attend more to their own individual actions as opposed to the top view where the traditional MOBAs have a more robust team orientated experience I may argue with my CSGO experience that there is no consistency without a team. Teams are built on the learning curve, strengths, individual skill, risk and trust, to promote individual contributions. Once you go PvP as a team, the card customisation largely contribute to the overall strategy. As long as there is communication the teamwork is as robust as any 'top down' MOBA.

Even as a new game, I have only had one or two PvP’s where non-team players were on the team, every other game the team, together, contributed throughout the 1st phase all the way towards the end game. We are already more than 5 regulars playing the game. I have also had at many times experienced non-team players on other MOBA's, especially due to mistaken matchmaking, though any online game is exposed to this.

I am yet to experience toxicity in solo queuing.

DJFulcrum wrote:

Good point. I know some friends who are really bad at MOBA games but are good at shooter games. I'm the opposite but I still do enjoy shooter games. Paragon seems to be a combination of MOBA + Orcs Must Die gameplay. I think this game needs to be advertised more if they want more players to join. They should add their game on Steam at least.

angelanz2 wrote:
yeah nice.. player's enjoyment is most important, and despite what some people think of DOTA's bad graphics, it still wins the day (20+ millions dollar in the international total prize pool), i mean it sure is reassuring that DOTA is the best, most-played, and top ranking MOBA in the world. Just saying, no offense

DOTA1 have not good graphics but it's ok because in that generation, graphics were in development stage, compare to what we use to now and still developing for more accurate or let's say becoming realistic graphic but YES! DOTA2 si still the best of all moba game!!! 😄