cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debate of the best MOBA game, is it LoL, DOTA 2, or something else? [Battle #3]

Bahz
Level 12
UPDATE:
We'll be postponing the winners announcement to Dec 30th, the winners for Battle #3 will be posted up on ROG Website

The third battle is a new type of battle; it’s a “debate.” Share with us your thoughts on which game title you feel is the true champion of MOBA games. The obvious choices are LoL (League of Legends) and DOTA 2, but is there something else that belongs in this discussion?

This battle begins on December 8th 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8) and ends on December 22nd 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8).

Don’t just share your choice, tell us why and prove it with your passion for the game! Only one submission for this topic but you may discuss and debate with others to earn additional entries for the grand prize draw.

See prizes and complete rules below:

Biweekly battle topic prizes
1st Prize – ROG Goodies Box (filled with a ton of exclusive ROG swag)
2nd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
3rd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
4th Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)

Grand Prizes (draw will take place between January 5th 2017 – Janurary 11th 2017)

Rules

• Provide your answer on which game title you think is the best MOBA game and provide your reasoning and facts to back it up. Only entries that meet these criteria will be considered a valid entry.
  • Limit one entry per person for the biweekly prize draw but no limit for additional entries for the grand prize draw
  • Additional qualified replies/comments will earn you additional entries for the grand prize draw. All additional qualified replies/comments on this thread or the other 3 battle topic threads will be accepted as additional entries up until January 4th 2017
  • Qualified replies/comments must have substance and not 1-2 word replies and are helpful in carrying forward the discussion. The eligibility of each reply/comment will be determined by our ROG forum admins.
  • Winners will be announced on the ROG website 4 days after the conclusion of the battle (December 30th 2016).

For complete rules for this campaign, please visit the official campaign thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88630-ROG-Forum-Battleground-Community-Campaign-OFFICIAL-T...
285 REPLIES 285

tophe15 wrote:
Many are confused of what is the best MOBA game. :confused:
And in this section you will know my opinion of what is the best MOBA game.

First of all, there are many similarities on MOBA game but the difference are the gameplay.
They also have both uniqueness, but what wins my heart on MOBA game is the DOTA2 because of its graphic style and its very unique style of blindspot and wise moves.
The Graphics of DOTA2 if i were to rate is 10/10
The gameplay and its balance is also 10/10
and its UI on for first timer is also easy to use.

I have also played some MOBA games like LoL and vainglory on cp, although the LoL and vainglory have similarities on blindspot on grasses which removes its uniqueness.
Well that is my opinion. how about yours? 😛

#DOTA2
#ROGxDOTA2

I'm a League of Legends player but I agree about the graphics. Some characters on League of Legends just don't belong in their world. For example is Annie, she have Anime eyes for goodness sake. I don't mind that they have a child character, but at least do it properly. The splash art on some of the skins needs a rework too. All in all, I feel like DOTA 2 has a more mature graphics. As for the blind spots or fog of war, that's not really a DOTA invention. That has been very common feature with strategy games.

DOTA 2... Because you can't win alone in DOTA 2 unlike LoL. lol

sfvdgv wrote:
DOTA 2... Because you can't win alone in DOTA 2 unlike LoL. lol

I don't really agree with this. I don't know if you can win alone in DOTA 2, but I'm sure if someone really good fought 5 new players, there's a possibility for the one player to still win. Same thing with LoL. I have never seen a match where a single person defeats an entire team. Unless they're on a ridiculous different level, which I'm sure would apply to most, if not all, games. Actually, from what I've gathered, it seems to be easier in LoL to catch up even if you're on a losing side, while in DOTA 2, the strong just gets stronger and the losing side just keep getting further below.

For me the best MOBA is DOTA2.
It is the first MOBA i played and i believe all other MOBA copied the main concept from this game.
But unlike other MOBA there are three things that will make DOTA2 stand-out from the rest.

1.) META
- The heropool in DOTA2 is huge and every hero can be played in different ways. Laning and itemization of heroes deepely varies, you can play a certain hero in different roles. There are also different strategies you can use to win the game.

2.) Balancing
- I think on of the best asset of DOTA2 is having Icefrog as the main developer as he always find ways to balance heroes thru minimal changes and without breaking or changing the hero concept.

3.) Community support
I think the DOTA2 community is the best compared to other MOBA community as shown by the support in "The International" tournaments as we always manage to surpass the crowdfunded prizepool every year and make it the highest prizepool for esport every yaer.

joeMarvin wrote:
For me the best MOBA is DOTA2.
It is the first MOBA i played and i believe all other MOBA copied the main concept from this game.
But unlike other MOBA there are three things that will make DOTA2 stand-out from the rest.

1.) META
- The heropool in DOTA2 is huge and every hero can be played in different ways. Laning and itemization of heroes deepely varies, you can play a certain hero in different roles. There are also different strategies you can use to win the game.

2.) Balancing
- I think on of the best asset of DOTA2 is having Icefrog as the main developer as he always find ways to balance heroes thru minimal changes and without breaking or changing the hero concept.

3.) Community support
I think the DOTA2 community is the best compared to other MOBA community as shown by the support in "The International" tournaments as we always manage to surpass the crowdfunded prizepool every year and make it the highest prizepool for esport every yaer.

As for #1, League of Legends also has a lot of champions. In fact, it has more champions than DOTA's heroes. I don't think there's much variety with what you can do or build with a champion though, I feel like it's always the same thing. The only thing that changes are mid and top lane switching. As for #2, League of Legends is a bit crap with balancing. Whenever they release a new champion, you can guarantee that it's going to be very OP.

Defense of the Ancients 2

DotA 2 is free-to-play PC game released by Valve in 2013. This game is the sequel to Defense of the Ancients (2003) which was a mod for Warcraft III. The development of DotA2 started in 2009 and its beta version was open to the public in 2011. In DotA 2 two five-players teams compete to destroy the stronghold of the rival team called "The Ancient". The game has a top-down isometric 3D view. Each player controls a hero with its own particular skills, powers and style of play. There are 110 different heroes organized in three groups according to their main attribute: Agility, Intelligence or Strength. During a game heroes collect gold, rewards and level up and unlock new abilities which they can use to defeat the rival team. Typically a DotA 2 match lasts 40-50 minutes. DotA 2 is one of the leading competitive videogames which has managed to get over one million players online simultaneously. "The International" is a DotA 2 specific competition which in 2015 has set a new record with a prize pool of over $18 million. "Evil Geniuses", the professional team of gamers which won the "The International", got over $6 million in prizes.

League of Legends

League of Legends (LoL) was developed by Riot Games and launched in 2009. As DotA 2, LoL is based on Defense of the Ancients. The gameplay and mechanics of League of Legends are similar to those of DotA 2. This is 5v5 3D real-time strategy multiplayer game. The typical length of a LoL match ranges from 30 to 50 minutes. Players control champions (more than 120 available) who need to teamwork in order to destroy the other team's "Nexus" or capture and defend some strategic locations on the game map. League of Legends characters also loot items and gold, and level up improving their powers and skills. League of Legends is not only the most played multiplayer online battle arena game, but also the most played PC game, beating Counter-Strike, Fallout 4, DotA 2 and World of Warcraft. In 2014 over 67 million people played LoL monthly, reaching peaks of 7.5 million concurrent players.

League of Legends is more accessible than DotA 2, which has a deepest learning curve and is a more punishing game. For instance, in DotA 2 when your character is killed you lose gold. LoL has better tutorials to learn how to play.
In DotA 2 all heroes are free while in League of Legends there are 10 free heroes every week and the rest of them need to be purchased in-game.
The design of characters in DotA 2 is slightly darker than in LoL which follows a more colorful comics style.
Level cap for champions in LoL is 18, and for heroes in DotA 2 is 25.
Skills are more important in DotA 2 and more difficult to use them correctly.
League of Legends has four maps: Summoner's Rift, Twisted Treeline, Howling Abyss, and Crystal Scar. DotA 2 has only one.

You also can watch on how far Dota has come from this cool video by Valve. IMO, The high quality presentation alone already shows how they really care about the games and their players. From patches to patches, slowly making the game more interesting and balanced.

http://cdn.dota2.com/apps/dota2/videos/700/countdown.webm

For me the best MOBA game is dota2 because since i was a kid I started playing this game. I see enhance feauture time to time until the game upgraded to DOTA 2. This game is Awesome!!.

I wouldn't say there is a "best"

It's simply just preference and with which you grew up with.
It's quite the same with the mobile phones. Like Android and Apple. You like what you grew up with and mostly despise the other one.
I grew up with League of Legends and I do like the game for sure, even though there are a lot of toxic players, but even in Dota2 there are a lot. You might just not realise it, because you're either not playing with them, they are not communicating or the percentage is less than in LoL. Which is fine and obviously tends to poeple having more fun if not flamed for a stupid mistake or a bad game.
I have been trying out Dota2, but for me there is too much to consider, the map is packed with way too much stuff. In this case I like it simple, even though I like more complex rpgs. But once again, it's all prefernces

The discussions concerning which MOBA is the best mostly ends in a three sided argument.

1) The ones who like LoL and just try to bring down Dota2 with the most idiotic arguments ever.
2) The ones who like Dota2 and just try to bring down LoL with the most idiotic arguments ever.
3) The ones who either like another MOBA or actually do like Dota2 or LoL, but don't mind others to be happy with the exact opposite.

I truly hope for this discussion not to end like that.

Just to repeat myself once again:
--in my opinion--

Yes, there are more toxic players in LoL than in Dota2, but hey, there's a mute button and suddenly you don't even have to think about those toxic players any more.

The maps are quite different.
The map of LoL is simple, not too much fancy stuff (even though it seems like they are trying to add some stuff to the map)
The map of Dota2 is compley, there are more ways to get from point A to B and you at least some champions can even eat the map. Not the whole map of course, but as far as I remember I played a champ who was able to eat the trees, which were part of the map and normally they functioned like walls. (which is in fact a quite interessting ability)

The champs are obviously different and at the same time they do have lots of similarities. Not all champs of course.
As far as I know Dota2 has a bigger pool of champs, but as far as I know it's quite obvious, because Dota2 has been there longer than LoL.
LoL has a smaller champion pool, but is steadly bringing out new champs as well as Dota2 is.
Every champ has their own lore and their own abilities. Sometimes even the abilities of champions inside the same game do have similarities. The fantasy of game producers sadly knows limits and at some point you just need a new head for a completly new setup of abilites.
But in the end, both games have champions with abilites. It's a MOBA after all.

The graphics are totally different.
As some mentioned before already. In LoL the graphics are obviously unreal. Not in the way that it is not a real world (obviously...), but in the way that you couldn't place an object of LoL inside the real world, because everyone would notice right away that something is not right.
In Dota2 the grapics are more realistic. Champions, Monsters and Creeps aside. Some objects could be placed in the real world and nobody would notice, because it looks quite the same.

And in the end it all comes down to the preferences again.
Overall I like LoL more than Dota2, but I obviously don't mind anyone preferring it the other way around.
I even like Smite, but only because of you being able to play in fist person.

And I'm sorry to say so, but in my opinion, whoever is trying to talk a game bad is simply being toxic. It's just the first stage and not as bad as we always remember those toxic players in the game.

Thanks for reading 😄

Well for me i would say LoL is the best MOBA. I have been playing league of about 4 years now and would say i like it a lot. I tried DOTA 2 but there is way to many updates and the gameplay wasn't that fun (not trying to make anyone angry) but i think it's just what you like and sticks with you. I'm open to try any game but if i dont like it I wont play it for long. Don't have much to say but league stuck with me and im still playing it because each game is different with different types of ways to build your char. Thats what i like.