cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debate of the best MOBA game, is it LoL, DOTA 2, or something else? [Battle #3]

Bahz
Level 12
UPDATE:
We'll be postponing the winners announcement to Dec 30th, the winners for Battle #3 will be posted up on ROG Website

The third battle is a new type of battle; it’s a “debate.” Share with us your thoughts on which game title you feel is the true champion of MOBA games. The obvious choices are LoL (League of Legends) and DOTA 2, but is there something else that belongs in this discussion?

This battle begins on December 8th 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8) and ends on December 22nd 2016 at 8:00pm (UTC+8).

Don’t just share your choice, tell us why and prove it with your passion for the game! Only one submission for this topic but you may discuss and debate with others to earn additional entries for the grand prize draw.

See prizes and complete rules below:

Biweekly battle topic prizes
1st Prize – ROG Goodies Box (filled with a ton of exclusive ROG swag)
2nd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
3rd Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)
4th Prize – Mafia 3 Game Code (digital game code)

Grand Prizes (draw will take place between January 5th 2017 – Janurary 11th 2017)

Rules

• Provide your answer on which game title you think is the best MOBA game and provide your reasoning and facts to back it up. Only entries that meet these criteria will be considered a valid entry.
  • Limit one entry per person for the biweekly prize draw but no limit for additional entries for the grand prize draw
  • Additional qualified replies/comments will earn you additional entries for the grand prize draw. All additional qualified replies/comments on this thread or the other 3 battle topic threads will be accepted as additional entries up until January 4th 2017
  • Qualified replies/comments must have substance and not 1-2 word replies and are helpful in carrying forward the discussion. The eligibility of each reply/comment will be determined by our ROG forum admins.
  • Winners will be announced on the ROG website 4 days after the conclusion of the battle (December 30th 2016).

For complete rules for this campaign, please visit the official campaign thread:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88630-ROG-Forum-Battleground-Community-Campaign-OFFICIAL-T...
285 REPLIES 285

Well, personally I never liked the RTT genre (real time tactics, most of the games that claim RTS are actually badly disguised RTT, e.g. Blitzkrieg, from better known that would be AoE, SC/SC2), hence I didn't really get sucked in by MOBAs and personally prefer Smite, which is "kind of" different. At least it isn't directly comparable, as focus is placed on different things than in LoL, for example.

However, I have played my share of early Dota 2, RoI, LoL, HoN. Seeing how Dota 2 has been turned to move straight towards making the gameplay to be as much as LoL as possible, I would have to admit that LoL is definitely the pinnacle of the genre. Although if we had to compare the two, I liked Dota 2 better. Now they are both moving straight towards convergence, so it doesn't really matter.

All in all, Smite ftw xD
He who invokes history is always secure.
The dead will not rise to witness against him.

You can accuse them of any deeds you like.
Their reply will always be silence.

Being the best is something subjective. However, I believe that there are two types of MOBA game players or video game players in general. The first type are people who just plays leisurely, use video games as entertainment, while the second type are people who want a big challenge, who want a more complex and more competitive game. League of Legends and DOTA 2 are both the best for Type A and Type B players, respectively.

League of Legends can be challenging but at the same time, it is not very complex, it can easily be learned and therefor can easily be enjoyed. I have played League of Legends for many years and I must say that it is not that hard, I'm sure if I invest more time in it, I can definitely climb the ranks.

In League of Legends you can easily focus on farming because compared to DOTA 2, players cannot kill their own minion, denying their opponent the last hit, and making it harder for them to get gold. In League of Legends you can easily kite your opponent because there is no such thing as turn rate, unlike in DOTA 2, where there's a delay before your character can change direction and walk. There is no creep stacking in League of Legends, making it easy for supports to just focus on their lane, instead of doing something tricky just to give more gold for their teammates. Mages (AP) won't have to worry about magic-immune targets (BKB) so they can easily just spam their skills.

But with that all said, my final say would depend on what kind of player I am. So what kind of player am I? I am the type that don't want to play games that are easy. I want a game that has complex mechanics. So even if I have played League of Legends for years and even though I have never really tried out DOTA 2 yet. I personally would say the DOTA 2 is the best for me. This answer is based on my analysis and my personal taste and category of types of players, I decided to be unbiased about this. So yes, I would say DOTA 2 is the best for me, or rather, it would have been the best if I hadn't spend my time on League of Legends.

this is a debate about "THE BEST" MOBA games. If one has to say that there is no best between DOTA n LoL, then whats your point of being here?

Second, I want to say more about DOTA. DOTA had just launch patch 7.0, the new user interface in picking phase attract me more than ever, this always-changing interface has been the major progress and to me, the reason why DOTA is so popular and always able to keep their players playing, you know, not get bored and will always want to play and try out things more.

I know the competition has ended, but after i read some comments about dota 2, I'd have to say there were some good points there, like the complex mechanics and that all characters are for free. No one encouraged smite enough here. I played smite since beta.
When you talk about Gameplay: In smite you don't have to move the mouse to follow your character and there is no light area around you that shows your enemy and a dark area that hide them, it only exists on the map. as while your playing you can see as far as possible, even if they don't appear on map. You have easier control of the character as its a first-shooter-person style. which is the most unique between all. where you have to keep a sharp ear and sight on the the field, and the map ofc,and rotate the mouse for aiming . and that is the main reason i play.
Even though it has many Over Powered characters, and you hardly get a decent game. the fact that its a first-shooter-person game makes it at top. as for those decent games there would be an incredible gameplay and incredible stability and balance, that they last for an hour at least. But stability in smite is almost non existent, and the balance is almost always off. I play smite for those rare balanced games.
As for the Community, it sucks. many afk players and feeders. But recently they actually started banning people.
If you compare Graphics between smite and another game, I believe smite should at top.

mohamad3333 wrote:
I know the competition has ended, but after i read some comments about dota 2, I'd have to say there were some good points there, like the complex mechanics and that all characters are for free. No one encouraged smite enough here. I played smite since beta.
When you talk about Gameplay: In smite you don't have to move the mouse to follow your character and there is no light area around you that shows your enemy and a dark area that hide them, it only exists on the map. as while your playing you can see as far as possible, even if they don't appear on map. You have easier control of the character as its a first-shooter-person style. which is the most unique between all. where you have to keep a sharp ear and sight on the the field, and the map ofc,and rotate the mouse for aiming . and that is the main reason i play.
Even though it has many Over Powered characters, and you hardly get a decent game. the fact that its a first-shooter-person game makes it at top. as for those decent games there would be an incredible gameplay and incredible stability and balance, that they last for an hour at least. But stability in smite is almost non existent, and the balance is almost always off. I play smite for those rare balanced games.
As for the Community, it sucks. many afk players and feeders. But recently they actually started banning people.
If you compare Graphics between smite and another game, I believe smite should at top.

Very interesting insight on Smite, thanks for sharing! 🙂

mohamad3333 wrote:

Since this thread is largely rivalling LoL against DOTA 2, vice versa. I brought Paragon into the discussion, but I did not have any ‘current’ game to compare it to as it has been some time since I have played DOTA 1 or 2 and LoL. The best game to compare it to is Smite, and yeah, I know this competition thread has closed. What I had to do was to do an overview on Smite, what it is today, and to read the opinions made by both communities.

Paragon is still a Beta game; game content is still in development and the characters are unbalanced at this stage to make it a competitive product.
Similarities between Smite and Paragon:

- Free to play (and console ready)
- Third-person MOBA
- ‘Destroy to Win (Conquest)’ game mode

The advantages Paragon has over Smite:

- Long games
- Less characters (less balancing maintenance)
- Vertical maps
- Card system
- Big map, and since the latest ‘MAJOR’ update includes a small map.
- Unreal Engine 4 (best graphics)
- Battle movement speed/sprint movement speed
- Less game modes (more coming)
- Less balanced
- Hard escape
- Replays

The advantages Smite has over Paragon:

- Quick games
- More characters (more balancing maintenance)
- Less verticality
- Item purchases
- Small map
- Unreal Engine 3 (optimal graphics, more compatible with older PC hardware)
- Fast movement speed
- More game modes
- More balanced
- Easy escape
- No replays

The above may vary between players, some may see negatives in the above, but games are tailored to suit a desired market. Both these games will be 60 FPS unlocked on the consoles in time, I do not know whether Paragon has been unlocked now.

The one big advantage that Paragon has over Smite is the card system which allows player customisation and team based strategies which invokes a burst in the short or/and long game. It is debatable whether item purchases are more suited than a card system and which presents more diversity.

At the end, Smite is an polished product and is supported by an larger community. Paragon is gaining traction, and some do see it as a more attractive alternative.

Wacky.69 wrote:
Well for me i would say LoL is the best MOBA. I have been playing league of about 4 years now and would say i like it a lot. I tried DOTA 2 but there is way to many updates and the gameplay wasn't that fun (not trying to make anyone angry) but i think it's just what you like and sticks with you. I'm open to try any game but if i dont like it I wont play it for long. Don't have much to say but league stuck with me and im still playing it because each game is different with different types of ways to build your char. Thats what i like.

My ally appear 

For me the best MOBA game is DOTA 2 because if you compare it to other MOBA games, there are many differences in which I can say, that DOTA is better than the others. One is the gameplay, where you have "fog moves/juke/micro" in high grounds, trees, cutting trees, planting trees, illusions, etc. Also the map. The map of DOTA 2 is bigger and better, well we can also say that it is more complicated. Indeed, complicated in which it makes DOTA more challenging than the others. And for me, the more the game is challenging, the more it interests me because in life, there's no such thing as easy. Well same for DOTA. Because DOTA is LIFE. 😄

in my opinion, it was definitely DOTA 2.
;););););););););););););););););););)
The fact from DOTA 1 map, it grows like epidemia for any gamer who watch or try it. DOTA 2 is the evolution and fact that it has a HUGE community and gamer all over the world.
It has so many things to consider in every aspect to become a good player in any role, there's item, skills, timing and many more.
That's why we're here because of DOTA 2. GL and HF guys!
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I choose LoL only because it's the only game in the list that i played a lot (something like 2500 hours). I also played some Smite and it wasn't bad at all.