cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[URGENT SUPPORT REQUIRED] PC reboot when installing driver of ESSENCE STX II

paulguru
Level 7
Hi guy

I change my PC with an Asus X370 Pro + Ryzen 1700x.
PC run great, but i cant use my Asus Essence STX II, i pluged it and into devices manager i can see it, but when i try to install the drivers or try to update the driver the PC reboot automatically without reason.

What is this ?

- I tryed to remove and reinstall the card into the PCI-ex
- I checked if the power cable was correctly plugged
- I tryed to format the Windows and try to install Essence driver first at all but same problem ..... i run the setup of driver and .... instant restart !
-If i go into devices manager and try to install driver manually, same thing.

HELP PLEASE !
155 REPLIES 155

Vlada011
Level 10
That's bad if Essence STX II not work with Windows 10.
In one very reliable review from experienced tester Essence STX II is best PCI-E sound card.

Bad because no one is close to me, I would give him my SBZxR if Essence STX II work on X99.
It's very small difference between them in quality but somehow is nicer when board and sound card are same.
And Essence STX II have chance for easy replacing Op Amps if someone want to make serious audio setup connected with PC.

ASUS need to fix compatibility with Ryzen and Windows 10 because that sound card is great when work properly and no compatibility problem.
I could bet that could be fixed. She could serve years without problem because it's well build and owners claim that sound is great.

Vlada011 wrote:
That's bad if Essence STX II not work with Windows 10.

My Essence STX II was working perfectly fine running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB on my ASUS SABERTOOTH X58, but isn't working with my Ryzen 1700 setup. Unfortunately, this looks like a Q&A failure by ASUS. I'm really hoping a firmware patch can address this issue, and soon.

I now created a support request using the contact form on the Asus homepage and after some basic tests I was asked to provide some more details in order to escalate it to the 2nd level. Haven't heard of them for a few days but I hope that eventually some investigation is happening.

Bahz
Level 12
I apologize but I missed this, I'll check with our audio team whether or not they're aware of this issue since if there's so many reports then it should be reported by our service team.

Bahz
Level 12
Please make sure that you have updated to the latest BIOS for your motherboard as we have tested the Essence STX II with a C6H board with latest BIOS (1501) and the we aren't able to replicate this issue. Our engineers have recommended all users to update to the latest BIOS which each recent version helped to further improve system stability for the X370 chipset.

Hello Bahz,

I can confirm that the issue is not yet resolved. I am using the latest available BIOS for the PRIME X370 PRO (0810). A few minutes ago, I tried it again. Using the Asus Audio Center I switched the ouput between "2 Speakers" and "Headphone". It successfully worked 4 times in a row but the 5th time caused the reset of the computer (when the relay clicks the 2nd time). The computer then had issues booting up again (in the moment when the relay clicks right before you can see the Windows login screen). The 2nd cold start finally worked and the computer booted to Windows again. I then tried again to switch the output from "2 Speakers" to "Headphone" and now the computer was reset immediately.

It is quite a bad situation as I used to switch between my stereo speakers and my headphones quite often during a day (used them also for phone conferences). Now I cannot use my headphones anymore as I am afraid of losing work when all my open applications are crashing during the power reset.

Regards
Cool McCool

Cool_McCool wrote:
Hello Bahz,

I can confirm that the issue is not yet resolved. I am using the latest available BIOS for the PRIME X370 PRO (0810). A few minutes ago, I tried it again. Using the Asus Audio Center I switched the ouput between "2 Speakers" and "Headphone". It successfully worked 4 times in a row but the 5th time caused the reset of the computer (when the relay clicks the 2nd time). The computer then had issues booting up again (in the moment when the relay clicks right before you can see the Windows login screen). The 2nd cold start finally worked and the computer booted to Windows again. I then tried again to switch the output from "2 Speakers" to "Headphone" and now the computer was reset immediately.

It is quite a bad situation as I used to switch between my stereo speakers and my headphones quite often during a day (used them also for phone conferences). Now I cannot use my headphones anymore as I am afraid of losing work when all my open applications are crashing during the power reset.

Regards
Cool McCool

Thanks, I'll pass this info over to our team to test with PRIME X370 board as well.

Cool_McCool wrote:
Hello Bahz,

Regards
Cool McCool

Try this

"Hi there EternalChampion, I installed unixonar driver 1.80b-r3 for my STX II and downloaded the official windows 10 xonar DX driver on asus website(they use the same chip Asus AV100 and control panel). Opened device manger and have chosen update driver -> have disk -> pointed out to the xonar DX driver .ini and it works!, audio has clarity and especially DEPTH in it compared to the STX and STX II drivers. Movies come alive and objects fly/float in front of you 😄 If anyone tried this I want to know what's their impression 🙂
Hello, last night I had to reinstall my STX II and I did exactly what you said, but using latest xonar unified drivers (W.10 creators update).

STX II + o2 + fidelio x2 -> 8 channel virtual sorround - Now sound is more powerful end enjoyable (for me) in games. 2 channel- More clear while listening some music. I haven't experienced any problem like BSOD,

Thanks for your advice..."

I downloaded the UniXonar installer before but the file cannot be extracted with 7zip. Maybe I can try to start the installation procedure and check for temporary files that are being created during the setup process and take the driver out of that location. Thanks for that idea. 🙂

However, I noticed that the computer reset is a lot more likely to happen when I switch from headphone to my front speakers. Speakers to headphone usually works. Could be a useful information.

Bahz
Level 12
Our team was able to replicate this issue and found a simple fix for this, please see below:
1) Update BIOS to latest version
2) Reset BIOS settings to default and save

Please let me know if this helped resolve the issue for you.