cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[URGENT SUPPORT REQUIRED] PC reboot when installing driver of ESSENCE STX II

paulguru
Level 7
Hi guy

I change my PC with an Asus X370 Pro + Ryzen 1700x.
PC run great, but i cant use my Asus Essence STX II, i pluged it and into devices manager i can see it, but when i try to install the drivers or try to update the driver the PC reboot automatically without reason.

What is this ?

- I tryed to remove and reinstall the card into the PCI-ex
- I checked if the power cable was correctly plugged
- I tryed to format the Windows and try to install Essence driver first at all but same problem ..... i run the setup of driver and .... instant restart !
-If i go into devices manager and try to install driver manually, same thing.

HELP PLEASE !
155 REPLIES 155

STXDude wrote:
I have the same exact problem.

My Xonar Essence STX II won't work with my new Ryzen build.

The PC boots into Windows just fine, but as soon as I try to install the STX II drivers my system ends up just rebooting. It happens the exact moment I hear the mechanical clacking from the sound card. Then my system gets stuck in a loop, trying to boot, until I fire up safe mode and remove the Essence drivers again. I double and triple checked if the molex power cable is properly connected to the card and made sure repeatedly that onboard audio is disabled... still the same problem. I have a mindump file of the crash when I installed it, would that help anyone?

The card was working just fine for +1 year, and still does, in my old system.

My specs

Antivirus: Windows Defender
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1600
Mainboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS (BIOS Version 0805)
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 380
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000
HDD: 500GB Samsung M2 and two Crucial SATA SSDs
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX II (without 7.1 Extension card)
PSU: Seasonic G-550 Watt Gold

I think we can rule out nvidia gpus and a specific mainboard model being the problem because I have a different setup from you guys but the exact same problem. And I seriously doubt any of my other hardware is at fault here but I still listed every detail just to be sure.

Is there some way to directly contact someone in Asus tech department to look at this? They must have some Essence STX cards flying around to test with a Ryzen setup. I just want to know if there are people out there who have a working Ryzen + STX II build.

Why you do this to me Asus, I just want to listen to some music 😞

Sadly it's not just you

http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/61732128

it seems this card has compatibility issues , not sure if it's Windows compatibility or the drivers, doesn't seem like it's Ryzen or motherboard issue.

You might have to buy new sound card if you are going to use Windows 10 .. you could try windows 7 or 8.1 and see if it works there , but Windows 7 won't support ryzen if I remember. as I said again, it's needed new card or search every where in the internet for a fix. Don't know if asus will release new drivers

Also try the unified drivers of daniels if you haven't. and reset bios or update motherboard firmware.

It is hard to imagine that ASUS is not going to investigate this issue and fix it somehow. If they don't, this definitely is a reason to turn my back on them and select other vendors in the future (after 20+ years). I mean, we are talking about their flagship hi-fi sound card that is still being sold. Can't believe this is gonna happen...

x7007 wrote:
Sadly it's not just you

http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/61732128

it seems this card has compatibility issues , not sure if it's Windows compatibility or the drivers, doesn't seem like it's Ryzen or motherboard issue.

You might have to buy new sound card if you are going to use Windows 10 .. you could try windows 7 or 8.1 and see if it works there , but Windows 7 won't support ryzen if I remember. as I said again, it's needed new card or search every where in the internet for a fix. Don't know if asus will release new drivers

Also try the unified drivers of daniels if you haven't. and reset bios or update motherboard firmware.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I haven't had much time to troubleshoot yet and seeing one guy here trying to fix it for two weeks was pretty disheartening. I'll give it another shot this weekend.

I have to admit that I have yet to try the unified drivers. I'll also dig around the bios and check if there are any settings I might've missed. I'll also try to use my second empty pcie slot and see if that makes a difference.

The card worked fine with Windows 10 on my old machine by the way so I really doubt it's just Windows giving me trouble now.

Created an account to specifically report I'm having this issue as well. I upgraded from an ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 to the ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO coupled with a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU, both systems running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. The Essence STX II worked without a single issue on the X58, but as others have stated, the drivers get about half-way with my BRAND NEW setup, you can hear the the auxiliary power click-on for the sound card, resulting in an instantaneous reboot. I've tried various types of drivers with absolutely zero luck.

I'm absolutely astonished that ZERO Q&A was performed by ASUS for two of their flagship products. As a 20+ year user of ASUS motherboards (exclusively), I'm horribly disappointed in the obvious decline of product quality. If we could get an official answer from ASUS if I have to sell my Essence STX II and go with HT OMEGA instead, that would be great.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Memory (part number): CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
Graphics Card #1: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Sound Card: ASUS Essence STX II
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE
Storage #1: Samsung 960 EVO

Get your **** together, ASUS.

Created an account to specifically report I'm having this issue as well. I upgraded from an ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 to the ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO coupled with a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU, both systems running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB. The Essence STX II worked without a single issue on the X58, but as others have stated, the drivers get about half-way with my BRAND NEW setup, you can hear the the auxiliary power click-on for the sound card, resulting in an instantaneous reboot. I've tried various types of drivers with absolutely zero luck.

I'm absolutely astonished that ZERO Q&A was performed by ASUS for two of their flagship products. As a 20+ year user of ASUS motherboards (exclusively), I'm horribly disappointed in the obvious decline of product quality. If we could get an official answer from ASUS if I have to sell my Essence STX II and go with HT OMEGA instead, that would be great.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Memory (part number): CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
Graphics Card #1: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Sound Card: ASUS Essence STX II
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE
Storage #1: Samsung 960 EVO

Get your **** together, ASUS.

Does no Asus technical guy here, which Forward this to China/Taiwan?

Wheity wrote:
Does no Asus technical guy here, which Forward this to China/Taiwan?

So you have trouble reading a page back?

Hi to all,
@Asus people:
1) installed 3 months later the Xonar Essence STII on Windows 10 Pro ( Asus driver 8.1.11.5 released 18 february 2014 C-Media Electr.) without problem.
2) installed on this days in the same system with a Dual Boot and Windows 10 Pro version 1703 and nothing to do: board not detectid... (!!)
Is no fair.
Please review your driver in congiuntion a Microsoft people or get a workaround...

The system is:
MB MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751) #CPU Intel i7-3770K (Ivy Bridge) Quad-Core 3,50 Ghz
MEM 2x8 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M2A1866C9G DDR3 1866MHz
SSD Crucial CT250BX100SSD1 #SSD Crucial CT525MX300SSD1
DVD Plextor DVD-RW PX-891SA #SOUND BOARD Asus Essence STX II #VGA MSI N760TF GeForce GTX 760 2GB DDR5 OC
PSU Seasonic Platinum 760W (63A 12V rail) #CASE Coolermaster CM STACKER STC-T01
OS Dual boot on W10 Professional 64-bit

@People with sytem to "zero":
Anyone with trouble have tried to install from zero W7 (with your sound driver) and after updte-over W10 ?

AdrTab wrote:
Hi to all,
@Asus people:
1) installed 3 months later the Xonar Essence STII on Windows 10 Pro ( Asus driver 8.1.11.5 released 18 february 2014 C-Media Electr.) without problem.
2) installed on this days in the same system with a Dual Boot and Windows 10 Pro version 1703 and nothing to do: board not detectid... (!!)
Is no fair.
Please review your driver in congiuntion a Microsoft people or get a workaround...

The system is:
MB MSI Z77 MPower (MS-7751) #CPU Intel i7-3770K (Ivy Bridge) Quad-Core 3,50 Ghz
MEM 2x8 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX3M2A1866C9G DDR3 1866MHz
SSD Crucial CT250BX100SSD1 #SSD Crucial CT525MX300SSD1
DVD Plextor DVD-RW PX-891SA #SOUND BOARD Asus Essence STX II #VGA MSI N760TF GeForce GTX 760 2GB DDR5 OC
PSU Seasonic Platinum 760W (63A 12V rail) #CASE Coolermaster CM STACKER STC-T01
OS Dual boot on W10 Professional 64-bit

This is not the same issue as the original post, please post your issue in a new thread. Also dual boot option is not an original configuration for majority of users and is not supported by us. The issue has nothing to do with the card or drivers themselves, it's probably more so of an limitation with your hardware/chipset. Any further comments in this thread for your issue will be deleted.