cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[URGENT SUPPORT REQUIRED] PC reboot when installing driver of ESSENCE STX II

paulguru
Level 7
Hi guy

I change my PC with an Asus X370 Pro + Ryzen 1700x.
PC run great, but i cant use my Asus Essence STX II, i pluged it and into devices manager i can see it, but when i try to install the drivers or try to update the driver the PC reboot automatically without reason.

What is this ?

- I tryed to remove and reinstall the card into the PCI-ex
- I checked if the power cable was correctly plugged
- I tryed to format the Windows and try to install Essence driver first at all but same problem ..... i run the setup of driver and .... instant restart !
-If i go into devices manager and try to install driver manually, same thing.

HELP PLEASE !
155 REPLIES 155

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If anyone else can share details on which PCIE slot the card is plugged into, we'd appreciate it!

Mines connected to a PCI Express 1X also tried different slot 16x same issues happens. I honestly think its more of a Ryzen issue driver dates back to 2015 and its so old that Ryzen did not even exist then. The driver is by far perfect to stop support on a high end sound card (nothing has being touched for over 2 years).

Legolas
Level 9
paulguru wrote:
Hi guy

I change my PC with an Asus X370 Pro + Ryzen 1700x.
PC run great, but i cant use my Asus Essence STX II, i pluged it and into devices manager i can see it, but when i try to install the drivers or try to update the driver the PC reboot automatically without reason.

What is this ?

- I tryed to remove and reinstall the card into the PCI-ex
- I checked if the power cable was correctly plugged
- I tryed to format the Windows and try to install Essence driver first at all but same problem ..... i run the setup of driver and .... instant restart !
-If i go into devices manager and try to install driver manually, same thing.

HELP PLEASE !

Hello,

I like to help

What is the current status right now?
You need to move the sound card into another PCI slot. Test all slots
The PCIEX16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_3, so if you install something in PCIEX16_3, you have to use PCIEX1_2.
It is possible that the sound card is defective. DId you try the Xonar on another computer?
Does your system reboot only with sound card? Does reboot not occur w/out the sound card?
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
Hello,

I like to help

What is the current status right now?
You need to move the sound card into another PCI slot. Test all slots
The PCIEX16_3 slot shares bandwidth with PCIEX1_1 and PCIEX1_3, so if you install something in PCIEX16_3, you have to use PCIEX1_2.
It is possible that the sound card is defective. DId you try the Xonar on another computer?
Does your system reboot only with sound card? Does reboot not occur w/out the sound card?

Sorry Legolas, but have you read this thread at all?

It is NOT a sound card issue and it certainly has NOTHING to do with bandwidth.

I have got a single 1080ti sitting on the PCIEX16/x8_1 and the same sound card on the PCIEX4_3 on my Crosshair VI HERO and these 2 share no bandwith.

I had it on the PCIEX1_1 before and the issue was there too and this one shares no bandwith as with PCIEX16/x8_1 aswell.

Or am I missing something here?

My brother has an Intel i7 4770k on an Asus Maximus VI Hero and i've tried the sound card on his PC and the issue is NOT there.

Elmor and Raja are both on the subject.

I thank you and I understand that you are trying to help but let them handle this issue please 🙂

We were able to replicate in PCIEX16_1, but according to reports it happens in any slots. We'll have to look in a different direction. The main difference is PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX8_2 are directly from the CPU, while PCIEX1_1/PCIEX1_2/PCIEX1_3/PCIEX4_3 are from the chipset GPP ports.

Hi,

I have same problems (reboots on start, crashes) with audio card Xonar ST PCI version. Motherboard is ASUS B350 Prime plus and operating system Fedora 27 64-bit. I tried all ports, OC and default settings, nothing helps. Replication is really problem - sometimes it works a few days (my record is seven days) without problem (switching output, changing cards etc.), but in enough time crash will come. On platform AM3 there was no problem. Without audio card everything works OK.

I think Xonar and chipset for Ryzen hate each other.

Robert

boban666 wrote:
Hi,

I have same problems (reboots on start, crashes) with audio card Xonar ST PCI version. Motherboard is ASUS B350 Prime plus and operating system Fedora 27 64-bit. I tried all ports, OC and default settings, nothing helps. Replication is really problem - sometimes it works a few days (my record is seven days) without problem (switching output, changing cards etc.), but in enough time crash will come. On platform AM3 there was no problem. Without audio card everything works OK.

I think Xonar and chipset for Ryzen hate each other.

Robert

Well, if it is happening on other operating systems other than windows we can assume its not driver related.

It has to be something on a hardware level.

if it happens on any of the pci-e ports (the ones controlled by the cpu and the ones controlled by the chipset) perhaps one should be looking on what's common between the 2 (cpu and chipset).

Could it be related to pci-e power delivery? Something detecting the sound card initialization either as a power surge or malfunctioning hardware?

In the AMD Ryzen platform, what controls/checks the power delivery to the pci-e ports?

I am running out of ideas here...

AmxdPt wrote:
Well, if it is happening on other operating systems other than windows we can assume its not driver related.

It has to be something on a hardware level.

if it happens on any of the pci-e ports (the ones controlled by the cpu and the ones controlled by the chipset) perhaps one should be looking on what's common between the 2 (cpu and chipset).

Could it be related to pci-e power delivery? Something detecting the sound card initialization either as a power surge or malfunctioning hardware?

In the AMD Ryzen platform, what controls/checks the power delivery to the pci-e ports?

I am running out of ideas here...

I can report 2 other settings (one work the other sometimes crash).

I have two of the same cards: Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]
https://www.asus.com/de/Sound-Cards/Essence_STX_II/
on both machines runs Debian stretch with the newest backports kernel 4.14 (btw other kernels make no difference)

my Home Maschine:
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product Name: 970 PRO GAMING/AURA
CPU:
Socket Designation: Socket 942
Version: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor

this works!

the club maschine:
Base Board Information
Manufacturer: ASRock
Product Name: AB350 Pro4
CPU:
Socket Designation: AM4
Version: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor

this crashes when I change the Main volume with alsamixer (not always but reproducible by changing wild)

Any news on this?

Thanks

Still waiting for updates ...

elmor wrote:
Still waiting for updates ...

Updates?
From whom?
AMD?
Asus?

Thanks