cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you wonder how much does Phoebus`s hardware cost

AVtemp
Level 10
If you wonder how much does Phoebus`s hardware cost:

1.C-media CM8888 + DHT (Dolby Home Theatre) ($18.65)
http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=48290

2.CS5381-KZZ (17$)
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CS5381-KZZ/598-1092-5-ND/923212

3.PCM1796DBRG4-ND (2.92$)*2 = 5.84$
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PCM1796DBRG4/PCM1796DBRG4-ND/1573331

4.CS4362A-CQZ (2.8$)
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CS4362A-CQZ/598-1058-ND/923178

5.NJM2114M-TE2 (0.65$)*4 = 2.4$
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=NJM2114

6.NJM5532D (0.5$)*5 = 2.5$
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NJM5532D/NJM5532D-ND/805752

7.TPA6120A2 (2.1$)
http://datasheet.seekic.com/datasheet/Texas_Instruments_TPA6120A2.html

8.Realtek ALC889 (about 15$)

9.All Nichicon Fine Gold capacitors = less then 10$

10.All other electronic parts + PCB + box + production = another 25$
---------------------------------------
Total cost = about 100$

I believe it cost Asus even less, because of mass-production.
They don`t buy components on Ebay or from online shops, they deal with manufacturers
14 REPLIES 14

chilinmichael
Level 10
Well then you have to add in the not so easy to think of, like support labor costs, building upkeep, assembly line workers, etc...of course it's probably cents per card, but just don't forget that.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

AVtemp
Level 10
And of course ROG label itself cost 50$ 😄

chilinmichael
Level 10
Basically...actually you can remove support labor costs, they probably have some college flunky in his basement writing drivers whenever he isn't drinking and/or high (or at least this seems to be the case)
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
Basically...actually you can remove support labor costs, they probably have some college flunky in his basement writing drivers whenever he isn't drinking and/or high (or at least this seems to be the case)

LMAO!

"Total cost = about 100$" It's probably more like $30 for the materials, or less. I read the other day, somewhere on the EVGA forums, that the GTX 780 chips bought from nvidia cost $50.

KILLER_K
Level 10
It is good to see threads like this in here. It was a good laugh indeed. But all manufactures do this price markups. Since they are no talk of new drivers at this point and time. Perhaps file a complaint on the BBB to get a refund? Or you can try to do a petition here for a refund. But you see how much they care to begin with. No one has a clue about the drivers along with any other possible information. I have no problems donating money to charities that need it. Asus isn't a charity I would like to support though. I guess in the business world it is hard to be honest with the cosumers

Asus Better Business Bureau Complaints

chilinmichael
Level 10
Wow, an F rating, amazing work Asus! Like I said in the other threads, I filed with Microsoft legal in regards to Asus saying they have Windows 8 certified drivers when indeed they do not. They do not support protected mode which means they must not have paid royalties. Hopefully Microsoft will force-ably make them remove that statement/get a proper driver for you all. As I said before, I got a Sound Blaster ZXR now and it's better in every way, shape and form. Better hardware, better...wait no...WORKING software (in comparison to Asus which did not).

Raja
Level 13
WHQL is in progress already CM. But complain if you feel you need to.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Raja I do because it's been nearly a year since the first Windows 8 driver, that's absolutely unacceptable to those that still have the card, it also forced me to have to sell it and take a loss which is also unacceptable. To top that off, Asus has the lowest possible BBB rating there is, which again, is unacceptable and is because support from Asus is unacceptable. I watched the 10+ minute interview from Newegg with an Asus rep about the Phoebus which should have tipped me off, in it the rep stated there won't be frequent driver updates and if I remember right something about one maybe every 7 months or so...it's nice to know a company knows it is so horrible at support it tries to cover it's you know what in saying "yeah we'll update the drivers whenever the hell we feel like even if something is completely broken and function is non-existent"
Your company (not saying you own it, but you do work for it) makes some pretty decent hardware (which still could benefit from some extended Quality Control) but the software is lackluster, at best. I could have dealt with the simplistic old looking Phoebus software, but I can't deal with it when it doesn't work. The Sound Blaster ZXR I purchased at the same price point on the market beats the Xonar Phoebus hands down in every category, especially software. Nothing is broken, the software works flawlessly, it's one program (not two with Dolby running as well), it works in protected mode, it doesn't magically throw all sounds to the front left, it doesn't fail in Battlefield 3, it hits highs and lows the Phoebus does not, has a real dedicated optical out (and in mind you), RCA in that the Phoebus does not, does NOT require an extra power connector, does not make magical popping noises, doesn't have phantom "firmware" updates that can brick the card and cause issues....I could go on but I'll stop here.

KILLER_K
Level 10
I feel almost the same as chillinmichael does about this sound card. And I'm sure everyone else does. The lack of drivers is just terrible to begin with. The suppose to flash firmware that really did nothing was really weird also. And again here we sit waiting for some drivers.

Complaining is a good thing in forums. As it lets people know we are tired of this drawn out waiting game with drivers. Just think if no one here ever complained about anything. Would you think everything is 100% fine with your hardware and software? This is how you find out stuff, along with people beta testing drivers for the pheobus. Again I'm not here to beat a dead horse. But this waiting game was played out a long time ago.

Who knows if these drivers will have issues with them like all the rest did. Then we have to submit all the bugs again and wait another 6 months + to get a another driver to fix those issues. Not sure about anyone else here but the rinse and repeat effect has been annoying from the beginning. I'm glad Raja@ASUS responded but the "WHQL is in progress already" isn't really what me or any other at this point would like to read. A release date would have been a better reply. I do know you probably don't even know the date. But "progress" is such a gray area word.

Anyway, I'm done here. If anyone needs a Asus ROG Xonar Pheobus sound card. Feel free to pm me about it. I've wasted over a year on this card and that is honestly long enough for a company to show signs of progress with software.

Official/Unofficial? Beta Tester For The Asus Pheobus ROG Xonar 2012 - 2013