cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Phoebus drivers working within Windows 8.1 64 Pro w/ Media Center.

Cageymaru
Level 7
First thing to know is that upgrading from Win 8 to 8.1 destroys the Phoebus driver install. There is no recovery for it. Some say they get lucky, but many of aren't able to fix it by normal means. So this leaves one option; erase and reinstall!

I don't mind reinstalling my OS. But I couldn't even get my OS to reset with the amount of errors that the Phoebus drivers were displaying. Microsoft was nice enough to spend 3 hours this morning walking me through how to reinstall their Upgrade version of Win 8.1 without my Win 7 discs. Granted most of it was them trying to find and verify my key from the Windows Store, but hey whatever works. 🙂

First thing to do is backup your data that you want to keep. Songs, files, documents, save games, Japanese pron, etc.

Read this little gem of a guide on Windows 8.

Using the guide I was able to find this download for Windows 8 that allows you to completely erase your old installation and start over again. Make sure you choose the correct installer. If you choose 8.1, but own a 8.0 key it's going to tell you wrong key. Yes, you would think that the same key would work for both, but it doesn't.

Let Windows erase your Windows 8 install and start over anew. After you have 8.0 on your computer and installed you need to upgrade it to 8.1. I had to run Windows Update and update 8.0 until 8.1 Pro showed up in the Windows Store as a free upgrade. The 8.1 upgrade will be the first item you see in the Windows Store on your PC.

Open Control Panel and check for updates again. After everything is up to date, reinstall the Phoebus drivers. Everything will go as well as before. You should have zero issues getting them to install. Everything that was broken in Win 8.0 is still broken in 8.1, so don't get your hopes up.

I hope this helps some of the people who just can't get their cards working. Maybe Asus will send us a new driver. Sure would be nice. But if they don't at least you can get it back to it's prior functionality.
14 REPLIES 14

Tellus
Level 7
You can get the driver working, but just barely. Protected audio still wont work, enabling Xear can cause the card to enter failsafe mode (extended features gets turned off by OS), same thing has happened twice so far with dolby also. Good old channel swap surprise is still present aswell.

In short, we need a new driver...
| Sabertooth p67 rev b | i7 2600k @4,8GHz | 2x8GB 2133MHz Corsair | MSI GamingX GTX 1080@2125MHz | 256GB Samsung 840Pro | MX300 1TB | 2x 120GB Intel 510 | Xonar Phoebus | Zalman ZM-850HP | Logitech G810 & SS Rival 500 | Acer Z35 |

We have a winner here folks. Exactly my thoughts and outlook on this sound card.

Tellus wrote:
You can get the driver working, but just barely. Protected audio still wont work, enabling Xear can cause the card to enter failsafe mode (extended features gets turned off by OS), same thing has happened twice so far with dolby also. Good old channel swap surprise is still present aswell.

In short, we need a new driver...

Cageymaru
Level 7
Killer_K I don't believe they are competent enough to fix the drivers to the satisfaction of Microsoft to get WHQL certification. I'd like to think that they were, but I've given up hope in Asus. I'm just trying to help some guys keep their legacy hardware going.

🙂

KILLER_K
Level 10
I understand and it is nothing to do with you. What you are trying to do is great. It is just sad their top of the line "ROG" card is now legacy hardware. I think it now boils down to them paying Microsoft the royalties to get the driver WHQL and signed now. But this will be my last post here in the "ROG Forums" now. It seems nothing you do or say makes Asus care at this point. At this point everyone is just stepping on each others toes. Wasted enough time on this sound card and trying to get Asus to do something for over a year and six months.

AVtemp
Level 10
It`s funny when such important information (how to get Phoebus to work in win8.1) is posted by regular user,but not by ASUS itself.
It should be sticked on top of this forum,but it is not.
Asus should test Win 8.1 on compliance with Phoebus before this Win update was released.
That`s how Asus supports Phoebus.

This product is nothing but marketing lie and bag of bugs.
Its "Premium gamer soundcard" that have soundbugs in BF3.
It don`t work with ASIO so if you like quality music(or you want to make home records), you need another soundcard.
But wait,you can`t install it in your PC (you have to uninstall all other soundcards to make Phoebus work,remember?)
So you need another PC to play/record music with ASIO.
WTF???
Than why there is ASIO support in Phoebus` advertisement?