cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Box picking up sound.

PepperNinja
Level 7
Hi guys,

Something weird is going on with my Phoebus control box.
When I mute my headset (Sennheiser 360) the control box is still picking up sound and others on TeamSpeak can still hear that sound (when I mute using the control box, the problem obviously doesn't occur).
Now I've checked rog command and ENC is enabled, either way enabling or disabling doesn't seem to make a difference.

I was under the impression when a headset is connected the control box would be used to cancel noise and not output it.
At first I figured that behaviour was normal, but I've since re-installed the drivers & software a few times and after a fresh install this problem doesn't occur, when I mute the mic on the headset no noise is "leaking" from the control box to TeamSpeak. When I leave the pc on the problem reoccurs after a few hours...

Does anybody have an idea what may be causing this issue and how it can be fixed?

Thx in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

cx-ray
Level 12
The control box mic(s) is always on, unless you mute it. When your main mic from your headset is muted the control box basically begins to behave like a mic because there's no sound to cancel.

For the headset mute to work 100% you have to plug it directly into the sound card without the control box .

cx-ray wrote:
The control box mic(s) is always on, unless you mute it. When your main mic from your headset is muted the control box basically begins to behave like a mic because there's no sound to cancel.

For the headset mute to work 100% you have to plug it directly into the sound card without the control box .

This is not true, I use the control box together with a Senneheiser 360, when muting either by tilting up the mic or pressing the big button on the box all inputs are muted on Teamspeak, I use voice activation.

I think that the OP forgot to select the headphone mic as input device in Teamspeak, doing so should solve the issue.

PepperNinja
Level 7
After some more research I've found what's causing this.

The registry adds or changes the DisableProtectedAudioDG to 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio.
While this works perfectly with TeamSpeak it causes problem with most online streaming apps in the modern interface (e.g. Netflix).
In order for those services to work, you need to change the value to 0 (and restart the audioservice).

The moment I change the value I start having issues with TeamSpeak.

Any help would be much appreciated.

cx-ray
Level 12
I can see the voice activation detection bar in the TS3 options register sound when I just mute my headset mic. This occurs both with ENC enabled and disabled. It's under the threshold I've set for voice activation however. Depending on this volume level it may or may not pick up sound that's loud enough to be transmitted in TS.

PepperNinja
Level 7
Desktopmic (Asus Xonar Phoebus Audio Device) is selected for capture device.

Here's the deal.
When DisableProtectedAudioDG is set to 1 in the registry, the control box will pick up sound when the mic is muted, but that sound has to be REALLY loud.
When the same value is set to 0 in the registry, the control box will pick up ALL sound when the mic is muted, even the slightest noise and that's really annoying.

PepperNinja
Level 7
Anyone?

Cageymaru
Level 7
Not being mean but as you can tell from every thread in this forum, this sound card is flaky at best. When I disable the protected sound all music, games, etc sound terrible. Like 15k mp3. When I enable it everything is fine except most of the Microsoft XBOX Live features that ship with Win 8 64 are disabled. Netflix and others just won't work. My mic in TS sounds so terrible like I am the Static Monster. My gaming clan mutes me from talking in TS because of the hum from the Phoebus.

So basically you either learn to live with this hunk of junk or you buy something new. And I doubt something new will have the name Asus on it for many years.