cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Strix RAID DLX Sonic Radar issue Headphones -Virtual Surround

x7007
Level 7
Hi,

There is something wrong with sonic radar with Headphones. the whole thing suppose to give you the location of where the sound is coming from. but the issue is when using Headphones it only detected as Stereo and Virtual Surround is Upmixing or doing something to give it virtual surround which is good, but the issue is Sonic Radar still showing Stereo and nothing that happen behind me is not shown in the Sonic Radar graphs. Testing a real 5.1 with speakers Sonic Radar shows 360 degrees and works well.

Asus what can we do with this ? because there is no option to change in the Headphones menu from Stereo to 7.1 then Sonic Radar think it still Stereo and only show Stereo graph with only limited location and nothing on the sides or behind.

Can you make a fix ?
11 REPLIES 11

I bought a Soar sound card just to get Sonic Radar because I'm deft in one ear. I was expecting to work as advertised, indicating sound in a 360 arc. But is just showing all the sounds in a narrow 60 degrees arc in front (I'm using stereo headphones). Not much of an improvement.

As others explained, the issues seems to be with the Asus software, not allowing to force (emulate) a 7.1 surround. The games CAN"T change that !!! Games will just use what ever the drivers tell them is available.

Seeing as this Sonic Radar PRO is quite old and this is not fixed .... not much hope of being fixed. I just wish it was MADE CLEAR that it needs a 7.1 sound system to work.

Wondering if Sonic Radar 3 works better.

Which leads me to another question. How is that I can't install the latest version ? I was expecting that active (still sold) products to support that latest and best. Anyway, very few info can be found on Asus site regarding what products support what version.

Sonic Radar is a hoax.

First, it does not work as advertised without a TRUE 7.1 surround system. Like, you need to connect into the sound card all the jacks to enable sound monitoring all around. Otherwise is just displaying in front as I told above.

IT DOES NOT WORK with headphones which support virtual surround. Is not tricked that is a 7.1 system.

Since true 7.1 headsets are rare and expensive and since on Sonic Radar page there is not a compatibility list of headsets, I can not recommend to anyone to buy an Asus product for Sonic Radar. Just another gimmick function with no real support.