cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I didn't choose an Asus ROG router

Riekopo
Level 9
My old Asus router died and I had to search for a replacement. I read a lot of reviews including on SmallNetBuilder. I was considering an Asus ROG router, but one thing held me back. And that is the way they looked. There's no way I could put one of those extremely garish and hideous looking things in my office/room. It looks like a toy for a child. It looks like it was designed by a child. Asus seriously needs to hire some new designers who can make their ROG products look more mature and understated. Even the router interface is really ugly looking.

I ended up going with a more normal looking lower end Asus router. The RT-AC1750 B1.
21 REPLIES 21

Maybe its not obvious but I chose the ROG 5300 over the "normal 5300" because is has double the cores and double the ram. At the moment, there was only a price difference of about $30 so I figured it was worth it.

I am disappointed though that I can't get a "normal 5300" interface in the firmware with this router. Why doesnt Asus offer a "ROG style" firmware and a "normal" one?

pod3545 wrote:
Maybe its not obvious but I chose the ROG 5300 over the "normal 5300" because is has double the cores and double the ram. At the moment, there was only a price difference of about $30 so I figured it was worth it.

I am disappointed though that I can't get a "normal 5300" interface in the firmware with this router. Why doesnt Asus offer a "ROG style" firmware and a "normal" one?

The team worked hard to improve the aesthetics for gamers and the interface to make it more intuitive, exclusive features were also added. While we kept the layout similar for familiarity, It didn't occur to us that anyone would prefer to keep the aesthetics the same also.

Typically, people don't need to use the UI for routers very often, but for the people here who love to tinker with everything - it might be a good idea to offer more skins. Is there anyone else who wants that option?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
Typically, people don't need to use the UI for routers very often, but for the people here who love to tinker with everything - it might be a good idea to offer more skins. Is there anyone else who wants that option?

How about downloadable 3D print templates for the chassis plastics?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Korth wrote:
How about downloadable 3D print templates for the chassis plastics?

In the future, we'll have to see how it can done without needing users to open up the router.
What exactly do you want to modify? Logo, antennas, or chassis?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
In the future, we'll have to see how it can done without needing users to open up the router.

It was just a suggestion. Which might apply to other plastic-enclosed ASUS hardware/accessories.

But I was basically thinking along the lines of providing templates ranging from "plain, simple, functional" to "aggressive angular ROG gaming style".
I have the suspicion that most 3D users are capable of modifying the templates themselves - including or removing branding logos, making the thing look more elegant, customizing it to fit their mods/themes/etc. All the plastics - main chassis/enclosure, antennas, etc - but I suppose it's possible to change the look of the thing dramatically by switching antenna covers, anything is better than nothing.

The main difficulty is usually obtaining accurate dimensional specs, exact measures and placements of screw holes, etc, especially when interlocking fasteners are involved. The rest is simply personal style preference. I'd personally be happy with a basic template which provides the critical dimensional information, I'm not personally concerned with stuff like logos and branding since I'd change them up as desired.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

MasterC@ASUS wrote:

what??!?? how about a firmware that matches your documentation? or maybe some documentation that matches your product?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
The team worked hard to improve the aesthetics for gamers and the interface to make it more intuitive, exclusive features were also added. While we kept the layout similar for familiarity, It didn't occur to us that anyone would prefer to keep the aesthetics the same also.

Would be a good option. Also would be good to have a lot of the gimmicky stuff like Game Radar as optional install packages. Some of us don't want the gimmicks, we want stability and choice!

MasterC@ASUS wrote:

That's my thing. I don't really use want the router for all the gaming stuff. I'd rather have all this functionality without the gaming "gimmicky" stuff. (and yes I admit, I'm a tinker type.) The features are good ideas, I'd just rather have them available in plain, normal text and names. Nothing against the gaming world. Frankly, I'm jealous of anyone that has the time to do it. I wish I did but now with family & such an active career, I don't. 😞

If we look at the product line, its just weird that they have all of these models of routers and if you want the most capable (most cores/ram) then you have to go specialized. Seems like they would have made the 5300 dual core, then the 5300 quad core (but have the option of a custom gamer FW).

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Republic of Gamers, nothing about the brand alludes to being suitable for a corporate environment lol :D. That said, I can't see why aesthetics matter in a corporate environment on something like a router.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JustinThyme
Level 13
Im sorry I opened this thread to read it. Very........Childish.......
What does it matter what it looks like?
Netgears TOL isnt any different.
They go in a corner somewhere.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein