cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to the GT-AXE16000

david_mckee1
Level 7
My GT-AXE16000 is finally on the way, and I'll be installing it tomorrow. My challenge is, with past experiences with new ASUS routers, I'm not sure if I should install this as the primary router to begin with or as a node until it's been released for a while and people have stress-tested it. I can't find any meaningful information on how it's performing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's probably actually a good sign. I'm currently using the AX10000 as my primary.

Can anyone comment on the stability of the GT-AXE16000 in a high-demand setup? (+100 devices, 50/50 wired/wireless - 6 AiMesh nodes - 2-10TB's of daily activity)

Thank you
15 REPLIES 15

Currently running two GT-AXE16000's one as router and other as node (both wired) with my AT&T Fiber 2.5GIG. about 35+ devices and at first the router had some serious stability issues, but thankfully Merlin's firmware resolved a good chunk of them. However, I can't wait till ASUS releases a future firmware update to start fixing all the issues.
13900KS | Z790 Apex | GSkill DDR5-8000 | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC

samendolaro wrote:
I initially had the same problem with instability. My big mistake was assuing I could load my AXE11000 settings into the AXE16000. It worked but it turned out to be the source of all my instability. I have a 5 router mesh. I currently have the AXE11000 as a wired mesh node and the 16000 is the primary.

I Reset all my routers to factory default. installed my 16000 as the primary then added in the mesh nodes . Everything has been great for the last couple months.

Thank you! I'll be on a 6-node system. Primary + 6 nodes.

I've heard there's a backup function to keep all settings. You may consider backing up your current configuration, then trying your new AXE16000 as main router. If it doesn't work well enough replace the original and restore the settings....

Low and behold checked for a firmware update this morning, updated my AXE16000 to 3.0.0.4.386_50168 and test 2.4 GHz Guest Network. Yes, internet access!

Saltgrass
Level 13
New firmware today, 50168. After the firmware upgrade, I got a message about entering the password incorrectly 5 times. Since I had not tried to enter a password, you might see if you get the same message.

After a period of time, I was able to log on normally.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
New firmware today, 50168. After the firmware upgrade, I got a message about entering the password incorrectly 5 times. Since I had not tried to enter a password, you might see if you get the same message.

After a period of time, I was able to log on normally.

Is this to the Guest Network or the regular one? Which band? I only tried to log into the 2.4 GHz guest network, tried a web browser, then went back to the regular 5 GHz network.

I hope to try to reproduce what you're saying....